1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My Hollywood Sign Adventure

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by cmpalmer, Sep 15, 2005.

1. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I went on a business trip to Los Angeles last week and stayed an extra day, Friday, to do some sightseeing. Since I only had one full day, I decided to do a long drive around the area, stopping when I felt like it, but trying to see as much as possible. One of my side quests was for a picture of the Hollywood sign -- not because I'm particularly fascinated by it, but just because I had read that it was hard to get close to it. Also, I was using my Nikon Coolpix, so I didn't have a honkin' big telephoto lens - I had to be physically close.

The first picture is about the best view you can get from Hollywood Blvd:
    [​IMG]
    Not that great.

I read that the best shots are from the Hollywood reservoir, so I set out to get there, but I found the road around it was closed due to this years' mudslides. So, I turned up into a residential street (passing "Residents Only" and "Not a Through Street" signs). Then I got a view like this:
    [​IMG]
    Better.

Watching the sign through the trees and making seemingly random turns, I ended up on the dead end of a street where it met a fire road/jogging trail that ran right along the base of the mountain. I got out and walked along the trail to the sign. Here is my rental car looking back along the trail:
    [​IMG]

And here is the trail leading toward the sign:
    [​IMG]

Finally, about a quarter of a mile down the trail, I was as close as you could get without climbing the mountain and I got my shot:
    [​IMG]

Here is what the Hollywood reservoir looks like from the trail in front of the sign (the Los Angeles skyline is out of frame to the left):
    [​IMG]

The rest of my pictures can be found here: Southern California , but I'm going to write up the stories on a few more of them when I get the chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  2. Chris, Good thing you didn't get any closer...the antenna on the right looks like permanent sterilization for sure :eek: 

Anthony

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.