My husband x 6

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by leahp26, Jul 13, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    First off - HUGE apologies to the person who posted a "multiple self-portrait mowing image" previously- I saw this idea on another post at the cafe - I though it was on the "show a picture of you" thread posted by Greg but I can't find it - someone had done a much better version of this (walking with a red mower) and I feel bad that I can't acknowledge him properly!

So I was so impressed with the original I thought I would try today when my husband mowed the lawn.

I'm sure there's a much better way to do this so any suggestions most welcome, here's what I did:

- Set camera on tripod at f11 and 1/1250
    - Hit the shutter (should have used my cable release, I know) at random points as he went past me
    - Dragged pictures over (using the move tool), moved the layer order, set the opacity of the master image to 40%, used the background eraser tool to show the additional husband. Flattened each layer as I added another husband.
    - I'm sure there's a much better/easier way to do this but I'm not the best at masks
    - The lighting is pretty bad as the sun was really strong but I heard the mower start up and just ran for it!

p317584334-4.jpg

If anyone can remember where the original was, please let me know and I will acknowledge fully.

EDIT: Keith just told me where the original was https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=1920374#post1920374 - thanks to DAVE DICKERSON - Super Moderator - for inspiration!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. nice job, leah
    i thought you were going to show us your SIXTH husband for a minute :biggrin:

3. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    I think this is the post you were refering to:)

Cool shot!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Greg - thank you! Paul is my first husband (hopefully my last!). But if there were 6 of him for taking out of trash, lifting of heavy things etc etc I wouldn't complain.... :)

Keith - thanks! That was exactly the shot I was thinking of - I've been thinking about trying to do something similar ever since I saw Dave's post so when I heard the mower start up today I was outside like shot!

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Urgh - just realised my ISO was at 2000 (was shooting in the dark last night) - this is about the 5th time I have done this.

6. Yeah, I like it great shot, and id like to give something like that a try, BUT, what I would of done, is VERY simply, chop it up in MS Paint, and arrange them together.

7. Very cute. I am a huge fan of this technique.

8. Interesting fun picture, I would like to learn how to do that.

At least I am not alone in forgetting to check my settings. Did the same last week and lost some interesting pics.

9. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Tom - thanks, I don't have MS Paint unfortunately but chopping sounds very simple!

Anthony - thanks! It was the first time I have tried something like this and it was pretty fun. Reminds me of Smith in the Matrix! I am trying to persuade a friend to do a tennis sort of shoot for me now - one of him on each side of the court, one of him as the umpire, ball boy etc

Tom P - I have been trying really hard to pay more attention to my settings through the viewfinder and not just on the top of the camera - I read something about WHIMS as a reminder (White balance, ?? ISO ?? ) as some kind of reminder but just forgot!

It took about 30 mins of messing around in CS3 figuring out the layer order (using auto align of layers) and eraser tool (I added each layer one at a time, erased out the background to reveal the additional Paul, flattened and then added in another layer) - not super hard (I'm a real beginner so I'm sure anyone can do it if I can)

In the original posts, Dave explains how he did it with masks (I still haven't got the hang of masks)

I want to try this with more stuff now! Just need people to use as subjects!

Thanks for looking!

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    What a cute picture! I've seen the topic on this for a couple days now, and finally got the time to click on it, and I sure am glad I did - great work Leah!

11. dweikum

dweikum

Apr 15, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    That's a fun photo! I'm going to have to try that...not with mowers, I couldn't even park 6 mowers in my front 'yard.'

Oh, and give masks a try, easier than the way you did this one...once you get the hang of it. :)

12. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Leah, this is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen. Certainly a top-10 here on the Cafe. And all the puns you and your husband must have been thinking up while you were making this!

Just checked out the original lawnmower triage and loved that one, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  13. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Do use Mac or PC? If you have PC you probably have MS Paint, as it comes with every version of Windows.

14. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Pretty neat. I did this last summer with my nephews and their cars. They leaned on the car in different places and in different poses, everybody loved them.

15. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Chris - thank you so much!

Duane - thanks also! I'm really keen to try this in different ways now - I see time planned this weekend! And I think I may try a mask too......let's go crazy!

Pia - wow - too kind, I think I have a LOOOOOOOOOONG way to go to getting into the top 10 on the cafe - there are so many amazing photographers/artists here and I am learning so much...but I do think it's a cool image. Dave's original post was super-cool.

Dr. A - I am a Mac girls now - I will try a mask this weekend...

Brenda - thanks - you should post your image (here or in a new thread) would love to see it!

Thank you all for looking!

16. Very neat Leah, that's the kind of guy I need to do my lawn. :smile:

17. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thank you Gordon! Ha ha!