My Illness Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfenton, Oct 20, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    After being treated for 3 weeks on the highest end antibiotics possible..one week of which was a hospitalization on IV's with no food....today I had a colonoscopy and it turns out that they were treating me for THE WRONG DISEASE!

While they had been treating me for diverticulitis, the colonoscopy has shown absolutely no diverticulitis, but rather a nasty flare up and probable first attack of Crohns disease.

The good news is that they now have me on the correct meds.

The interesting part of all this is that about 6 months ago, both of my thumbs had bad arthritic flareups and they checked my for the various arthritis factors in my blood..and none of them showed up. What they did pick up however was an indicator which they've just realized is a marker for Crohns...but as I was showing no symptoms and never had, they didn't think anything of it. I got shots in both thumb joints and the problem dissapeared...until three weeks ago when it came back full force...the very day I had the first attack in my guts.

The doctors I met with today are quite convinced that it was caught early enough to treat it successfully with the meds (ASACOL) and that as well as healing my insides.....it might very well take care of the inflammatory condition with my thumbs as well :)

While I didn't really want to have this procedure today as I was still in pain...I had a funny feeling that it was going to show what the real problem was...and thankfully it did :)

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Glad to hear you are on the mend again! If you need anything, give us a call....Patrick and I will do whatever we can. Most importantly, rest up and get back to shooting when you feel up to it (so we can see some more of your amazing photography).

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to update us on how you are doing. I'm glad to hear that your medical team has a good grasp on what exactly is going on and how to best treat you so you are back to 100% in the quickest amount of time. Be patient and great will happen...patience is everything these days.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OMG Jim,
    what an awful thing to go through.

I am surely praying hard for you to be ok and be out and shootin quick and feeling good. I feel really bad for you.

If I could I would trade with you, cause I am ok and can't shoot worth a darn and you can I would.

Much love and hugs to you.....
    Take care ...

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Hi, Jim! Well, I'm glad they finally found the cause of the symptoms and have you on the right meds. Take care of yourself and get well!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gosh Jim, I so sorry to hear about this, but am glad that they have at least identified the problem. I know that you are a hard working, hard charging guy, so this must be driving you up the wall. Maybe now that they've got the problem identified, they can get you fixed up for good. I sure hope so. :wink:

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jim-

glad to hear that your doctors have diagnosed your problem. nothing worse than being a photographer with sore thumbs :wink:

ricky

8. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Jim,
    I'm glad they finally figured out what was causing your trouble. Hopefully you will be well soon.
    The day before a colonoscopy is a -20 on my fun scale (range 0-10). But at least it found your trouble.

9. Jim, all the best wishes. I'm glad they have the diagnosis now and I'm sure you will have a full recovery.

10. Good to hear you are getting well Jim but now you have to deal with Crohn's. I hope that is curable too.

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Rough run of late for you, chum, but you seem to be on the path to getting right. Keep in touch, and we'll share some lenses (and a beer or three) when you get back to the Land of Enchantment.

We'll keep the porch light on for you. :smile:

John P.

12. Jim, it must be a relief to have a correct diagnosis. Hope you'll be on the mend soon.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

13. My son-in-law is a doctor and he has Chrohn's also. He seems to keep it under control very well with meds. My best wishes for your my friend.

14. Glad to hear that they figured it out I have a few close relatives with Chrons and when diagnosed earlier leave completely normal lives. Hope you are back on track soon and are able to chase those owls and harriers around this winter

15. Jim,
    Glad the Dr.s got a good diagnosis on your problem, hope the proper treatment now gets you back to your photography without any health concerns to distract you.

Mike

16. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Dude, my heart goes out to you...
    My sister Annette had Crohn's for 35 years and recently passed away. I also have a niece that found out she has it about 18 months ago.
    I hope that your doctors can help control it so that you can live a normal life, you will be in my prayers.

17. I wish you all the best Jim! I have had to go through a similar thing to figure out what was wrong with my intestants, so I know what you are going through. Hang in there!

18. Hi Jim,
    Sorry to hear your having problems, I hope your recovery is quick and full. One thing that this re-enforces is how important it is to get those physical check ups. I have been getting a colonoscopy every 5 years since I turned 50. I never had any problems, and It is a pain in the butt, (pun intended) but well worth it if it reveals a condition that is treatable and if it doesn't it is peace of mind.

keep good thoughts and a positive outlook, my home remedy for what ails you.

19. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    to think I was moaning about a routine screening colonoscopy week before last.

Sounds like you've really been through the ringer, Jim. Good luck with a speedy rebound, okay? Those birds are waiting on Plum Island.

Tom

20. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    To Everyone

Thanks for the kind words folks...you are absolutely the best!