My initial thoughts NX 1.2

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Commodorefirst, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    From my perspective other things have been improved besides those mentioned from Nikon, I think the EV boost and noise control is better, I have throwaway images I use to test processing programs and NX 1.2 has done the best so far on problem shots, (click to see full size image) Note the lack of major problems under the wing and on the legs, sure there is some noise, but it seems as if NX 1.2 is even better on controlling noise when boosting EV and levels without loss of detail.

as shot in camera raw:

[​IMG]

NX 1.2 EV boost +1, major levels work, noise reduction of 5, sharpen, 50% crop (note: no shadow recovery)

[​IMG]

Then again, maybe I just haven't fixed an image like this in a while, but I think I see a diff.

Wade

2. Very encouraging news. Many thanks.

3. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    You are welcome Sam,

Wade

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Seems to work well. I'll have to give it a try on one of my underexposed shots. Thanks.

5. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I have another beef now with NX, it seems...

Using the Crop in previous versions, I could draw the crop box where I wanted, hit the Enter key, and get my crop.

Now with 1.2 that doesn't work anymore, at least on my machine. I have to double-click when the mouse pointer is still on the crop outline, otherwise it reverts back to no crop applied, same as pressing Escape. ARRRGH!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I realize that this may seem insignificant in the greater scheme of things, but I use a trackball and keep it next to the keyboard so I can just reach with my thumb and hit the Enter key on the number pad. My trackball is set up in Windows to automatically go to the default selection in a dialog box and I've become accustomed to just hitting the Enter key with my thumb. I've been doing this for literally years and have kinda gotten used to it......

After all, it's MY computer, it's set up the way I like it, and literally EVERY program I have except NX works with this setup!

AAAARRRRGHHH!! Again! It's bad enough the Enter key works in NX with some dialog boxes and not others but now they've taken one of my most-used ones away!!!!

Talk about a love/hate relationship.......

Bill

6. Bill--me too!!!! I found--through frustrated key pounding at 5:15 am this morning, that ALT+enter does it! Jeeeeez!

7. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Interesting, using it on a windows machine? On my mac version I have none of those problems, double click, return, and escape key all do the crop after drawing it.?

hmmm.

Wade

8. Bill, Nick and Wade, this is from the NX Help Doc: "To remove the area outside the rectangle, double-click anywhere inside the rectangle or press Enter. To cancel the crop, click once outside of the crop, or click the Esc key."

If my brain is not deceiving me, I don't see an "Alt" anywhere in there, do you?

Wade, you are saying that on the MAC the "Enter" works as advertised but the ESC key doesn't clear the crop?

I plan to send this direct to the NX development folks, it is nice to have friends in low places :wink:

9. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Retief,

I use the Windows version and Enter no longer sets the crop. Alt-Enter does, as Nick discovered. Also double-clicking inside the crop frame.

Escape no longer clears the crop. The only way I've found is to click outside the crop frame.

I've also had problems with viewing and the Zoom tool. I was going through about 30 images last night evaluating focus and intermittently the View- menu stayed grayed out even after the new Updating Image text went away. When this happened, the Zoom tool wouldn't work either. This seemed to be random, sometimes with just one image open, sometimes with 2 or 3. Sometimes closing the image and opening it again worked, at other times I had to clear the cache, close NX and open the program all over again.

I think I'm going to uninstall 1.2 and put 1.1 back in. It had it's problems but at least I knew what they were and could work around them.

Anybody know the 2.0 release date? :frown:

Bill

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I've got the same problem. Enter does not set the crop. Frustrating......

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Crop problem - When PPing a NEF and have the browser window open, so that I can select another NEF or delete a NEF, the Crop button and all the other buttons on that row are grayed out.

When I close the browser window, the Crop and all the other buttons on that row become available.

The same is true for CTRL S, Save and Revert under File - they do not work with the Browser window open.

That means when I have the browser open, double click a file shown in the browser window, the NEF opens up for PPing, I PP the file and then CTRL S to save the changes - nothing. I go to File and SAVE and REVERT are grayed out. If I select the X to close the window with the PPed NEF, NX opens the window indicating the file have been changed - do I want to save it? - DUH!

Is this 'normal' behavior?

12. More info on Crop tool

Mark, my guess is that this occurs because you could have multiple images selected in the Browser window, but that is just a guess. I'll check this later tonight on my Laptop which has 1.1 to see if this behavior has changed.

On to the "Enter" issue with crop. If the "Crop Assistance Grid" is turned off, the "Enter" key seems to work as advertised. I'll send this info off to the Nikon folks as well.

This feels like "Forward two, Back one....." :rolleyes:

13. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Everything works fine for me, I was commenting on how it wasn't for the other folks, I am on the mac version.

Wade

14. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    "Crop problem - When PPing a NEF and have the browser window open, so that I can select another NEF or delete a NEF, the Crop button and all the other buttons on that row are grayed out.

Just having the Browser window open gives me the same result whether I have a file selected or not. On my copy, opening a file from the Browser causes the Browser to minimize. I guess that's why I never noticed this.

NX wish list: Don't close the Browser if it's undocked. I undock it and would like to be able to keep it open on the second monitor when I open a file. Or make the "+" button bigger!

"If the "Crop Assistance Grid" is turned off, the "Enter" key seems to work as advertised.

Yep, works that way on mine, too. I've become used to leaving the grid on, I'll just have to turn it off when I don't need it.

Retief, thanks for the help!

Bill

Just a thought: I wonder if having the Browser open was causing my problem with the Focus Area and Zoom tool? I'll check that out tonite.

15. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Hello Bill - How is everything going - I see my black lines are gone with 1.2...

From above, when I have the browser window open, and say my file has 10 nefs - the browser will show each of the 10 nefs as a seperate line item (SOP), the problem doe occur when none of the NEFS in the browser are selected or in 'white/highlighted' selection mode. This occurs if I have one or more NEFS open for PPing.

When I use the browser to open the the NEFS, I use the mouse to select one or several, right mouse click and select the open in edit option, NX opens the correct NEFS and when done opening, none of the NEFS in the Browser are in 'select' (white/highlighted) mode.

16. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia

I do not have the problem you mention above where the browser closes/minimizes on it's own.

CORECTION SEE BELOW - I DO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007
  17. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    SO Sorry - yes I do have this problem. I have NX 1.2 open right now. When I select one or more files in the Browser window and right mouse click and select 'open in edit window' the files open and the browser window DOES close.

I agree, I would like to keep the browser window open.

18. Works fine for me too on both XP and VISTA.

19. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    crop

With the grid turned on the enter button does not work but you can double click with your mouse on the crop and that will work. Sorry if this has already been posted before.

20. The problem I've run into is that D-lighting is now incredibly slow. Everything else is faster.

Bruce