My Japan - Shirakawa Go

I took these images in November of 2008 on a photographic journey throughout Japan. I am reworking these images now to take advantage of the things I have learned in processing since then and in preparation of a show on Japanese arts and culture in a gallery I am associated with. These particular images are from an area known as Shirakawa Go or the White River District. It consists of several towns in two different prefectures but close to each other. They are known for their many Gassho Zukuri style houses.

It is with great sadness that I work on these images. The terrible news of the continuing catastrophe in Japan is often in the background on NHK and sometimes still on local TV. It is news that one cannot turn away from but hardly face too. Fortunately, my family and friends in Japan are safe and just living with great inconvenience.

Shirakawa is most famous for its winter imagery and I had hoped to visit this area again next winter. I am not sure how those plans will now work out.

p222263582-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p350546378-3.jpg

p1069940454-3.jpg

p713357395-3.jpg

p673714762-3.jpg

p548209182-3.jpg

Thank you for looking. The remaining images from Shirakawa Go are here: http://charlie.zenfolio.com/p550033556. Perhaps as I work on photos from other areas I visited I will post them here too.

Great work, Charlie

Now you see, this is why I love forums like this - I'm pretty sure this style of architecture is pretty unique to the area and the processing looks great. Numbers 10, 28 and 29 on your zenfolio are stunning.

Even though this is an area away from the effected zone in Japan and with what your gallery is currently preparing, surely it might be a good idea to ask some local printers to help out and arrange some postcard prints to sell with the proceeds going to charity? I think they're worthy...

These are wonderful Charlie, I really enjoy Japan and it's culture. The scarecrows are great!!
Thanks for sharing your vision.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Charlie, beautiful!

Just looked at your website and I might add to the comments of your wife, that you're still pretty good! I bookmarked it and I think I will spend quite some time there! Thanks in advance for sharing your travels!

Lovely pics, I passed the town from a highway sometime earlier this year. Good luck with your trip back.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom