My Journey to the Republican Nat'l Convention...

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by ShadowFox19, Sep 3, 2008.

1. First things first, I'm going to try to keep this as neutral as I can because I know political discussions are a no-no on here, so I if I break any rules, MODS please PM me and I can change this post as much as possible...or you can just delete it.

Secondly, this trip went a lot different than I was expecting. I was planning on just seeing some booths, and maybe some people I usually see on TV...but that was not what we ran into. Well, we did run into some things you saw on TV, but not exactly what I was planning.

Lastly, we didn't take part in any protests. I forgot the map at home, then we parked on the wrong side of the Xcel Energy Center. We should have been on the south side, because this is what we ran into...needless to say, it was rather eventful.

These are in chronological order:

1. It started out being a promising, pleasant day...that would soon change.
    RNC_Driving.

2. The police presence started just south of Minneapolis on I-94, about 15 minutes west of St Paul.
    RNC_Cops1.

RNC_Cops2.

4. LOOK! CNN! (I don't get out much, LOL!)
    RNC_News1.

RNC_Cops4.

RNC_Cops10.

7. There were cops on both sides of the street, at every intersection, like this. It was nuts!
    RNC_Cops11.

RNC_Cops5.

RNC_Cops9.

RNC_Cops7.

RNC_Cops8.

12. This is my friend Bryan, a former Sgt in the Marines who was awarded a Purple Heart in his last tour in Iraq, he was interviewed by Fox News after making a scene...you can see the details on my Smugmug.

RNC_Bryan06.

13. I got to see one guy that was from TV...a local news channel, I don't even know which one.
    RNC_Random01.

14. This is my favorite picture of the bunch. Kinda looks like that one Beatles album cover.

RNC_Cops12.

15. This is of the windows that were broke out at Macy's by the anarchists...we were parked just 30ft from those windows.
    RNC_Random05.

16. I took this on the way back to my place, it's in Minneapolis...I forget the name of the church. (I PP'd the sky, how does it look?)
    RNC_Random06.

If you want to see more, visit my smugmug, the link is in my sig below.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  2. jaikdee

jaikdee

Feb 25, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Good background of the RNC. We never see the behind the scenes activity. From some of the coverage we've seen, it is good to know there is a police presence, but I had no idea it was so large!
    Janet

3. My pictures don't even do it justice, I felt completely safe the whole time I was down there. If I were to guess, there was 1 cop to every 2-3 people...probably closer to 2.

4. Nice shots, especially of all of the police. How close to the convention center were you?

5. We parked about a mile and half away. They had a perimeter setup around the facility about 150 yards in all directions from the actual building...it was actually caged off. Only individuals with credentials could get past the fences. I'm working on getting a press pass for tonight, or tomorrow night. I'll post pics of that if that comes to fruition.

6. One thing I forgot to mention was that I was amazed at how many film cameras were being used. Many F5's. I assumed everybody has converted to DSLR's. LOL!

7. Nick, I checked out your Smugmug and enjoyed the series.
    I do like Bryan, please pass on my appreaciation for his service to our country.

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing. You did a good job of capturing some really interesting scenes.

9. I will pass that on.

Thanks!

10. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks for posting those Nick. As was already noted, it is an intriguing perspective, not always seen, but unfortunately happening way too frequently now. Looks like a police state. Thanks!

N

11. Nice series Nick. BTW, you mention Brian as being a former Marine. I believe once you're a Marine, you're always a Marine.

12. Quite an experience, eh??

When the DNC was in Boston in '04, it was held immediately behind the Mass General (one of the best hospitals in the world). The rules we had for taking patients down there during the convention were insane. Two forms of photo ID, you HAD to be on dispatch's schedule (i.e. you couldn't have been called in to cover a shift that day), ambulance roof # and plate # called in to Ma State Police a certain distance out, NO pt belongings of any kind (this went over really well when doing inter-facility transfers and pt's had all their stuff with them).......that's only the beginning. I was never so glad as when it was all over. :biggrin:

Your shots are great, I really love the horses, never seen them outfitted as such!

13. PS. Does the cop in the center of #11 have a D300??? :tongue:

14. Yes, thank you for correcting me. You're absolutely correct.

Yeah, I like the shirt too.
    Thanks.

Thanks. It was nuts, I've never seen a city locked down like that before. It was quite the experience. I'm kinda glad it turned out the way it did...I'll never forget it.

Close, but I don't think so, I only saw the police shooting D200's. I didn't get a close enough look at what glass they were using, LOL.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.