1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My kiddos...

Discussion in 'People' started by Nchesher, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    ....I don't know why I can't seem to get the sames shots of my kids that I do with paid shoots. My son is beyond sick of having his picture taken and it shows. My daughter is still young so the keeper rate is pretty low. I try pretty hard sometimes to get good pics of them but they just aren't as good as I think they can be. I just don't get it.

NCP_7343finishedweb.
    NIKON D200    ---    70mm    f/4.5    1/100s    ISO 100

NCP_7318editedweb.
    NIKON D200    ---    28mm    f/4.0    1/200s    ISO 100

NCP_7234finishedweb.
    NIKON D200    ---    50mm    f/3.2    1/100s    ISO 200

NCP_7244finishedweb.
    NIKON D200    ---    50mm    f/2.0    1/125s    ISO 200

2. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I think all 4 of these shots are terrific. The first one is perfect, he's relaxed, and even though the tree is covering some of his face it seems right.

3. Nate,

I love these. I can see that your son isn't fond of the camera. I feel you pain on that issue. Your sweet daughter really growing fast, what a cutie. Glad you posted.

4. nice shots
    why the watermarks?
    they are YOUR kids... and they distract from the images

i'd remove them, IMHO

thanks for sharing

5. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I watermark everything for the web regardless.

6. ok.....
    but, when you put the watermark right over their faces.... it sort of defeats the purpose of showing us how amazing your photography is... no?
    such as this one:

NCP_7244finishedweb.
    NIKON D200    ---    50mm    f/2.0    1/125s    ISO 200

and.....
    please post them a size or 2 bigger so that we can enjoy them
    thanks

again.....
    no offense intended...
    i was merely wondering

7. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    If I had not read your post, I would not have seen it the way you see it. The shots are fantastic! I do understand what you mean..shooting strangers (kids) is much easier for me than shooting my own.

8. I feel your pain! Right about the time that I was really beginning to study the photos of other's kids, and to truly understand what went into it, and just dying to start trying it myself, my daughter hit the "I won't look at the camera" stage. I was crushed. Luckily, that seems to have passed.

I do like the first shot of your son, and your daughter, oh boy do I just want to pick her up and hug her. How old is she? :smile:

9. I think that these are really wonderful. Maybe you are just expecting more because they are your own children.

I'm looking at purchasing a prime lens to use taking photos of my grandbabies. I'm curious what lens/lenses you are using in these photos. Do you mind sharing.

BTW, I looked at your online gallery. You have some awesome work!! So glad you are here with us.

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Actually these are great IMO. Nice work!

My kids are the same with the camera - they're 3 and 5 yrs and have grown tired of me and my silly photography. :smile:

11. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I use to feel the same way...my son absolutely hates his picture taken...and no matter what I do I can't seem to get him to do what I want. With a client I can do just about anything but my kids...nothing!

P.S. These are GREAT!

12. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI

I wrote the action for the watermark to have it in the least annoying spot as possible. For me it was the lower third. If it happens to hit a face in a shot every so often so be it. It's transparent enough for me and haven't had any complaints from clients. I worked long and hard just getting the watermark right. I'm not about no manually place the watermark over every particular photo, especially when I'm proofing out 100 a week. Also I choose to have them that size because I don't want people stealing my photos and trying to print them. This size is a good mix for me of security in that regard and having them large enough to see them. I'm also limited on my website as to what size I can use.

Terri,

The ones with my daughter are D200 + 50 1.8, my son is 28-70 2.8. She was born April 8th. Here's her back then.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=161592&highlight=chesher

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    great shots!

I also agree that the watermark is a little annoying :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.