My last post, I swear! A big thank you and a plea for recipes!

Discussion in 'Annual Alabama Sessions' started by sommer, Apr 5, 2007.

1. I haven't had a chance to post on many of the threads here, but I've so enjoyed all of the photos. We drove straight through the night on Sunday and got home around 8am on Monday. After a short nap, I went to work on Monday afternoon, spent Tuesday trying catch up on laundry and bills and all of that fun stuff, spent all day Wednesday with Melissa at school and then worked all evening. Today I'm taking the day off from everything, looking at every single photo that's been posted and getting my own up there! I probably won't be able to post on every thread, as I'm too far behind, but I want you all to know that I'm looking at and loving every single picture....they take me right back to the great times we had!

I need to send a big thank-you to Leigh and Patrick and the boys for opening their home to us...honestly, visiting them this year felt like visiting family, and we are so lucky to know them. And that goes for everyone who came to the gathering...we're so thankful for everyone who came from near and far, because it truly felt like a family reunion (where you actually like your family, lol!) Big thanks to those who made the trip up the mountain for the campfire! And thank you, too, to those who contributed food and drinks for the campfire...we had more than enough and were able to bring the leftovers to Green Mtn and have an impromptu picnic there!

And on that note, recipes, please! Joe and Laura Beth brought pizza to the campfire which had the best wheat crust I've ever tasted, Faye's cookies were amazing, the shortcake at the Friday night gathering (was that Carolyn's?) is the best I've ever had...I think Melissa and I ate half the cake by ourselves! And Leigh made a salad I love....the one with little cucumber chunks and a spicy white dressing. If any of you are willing to share your recipes, they would be much appreciated!

2. Did you try one of my s'mores?

3. Oddly enough, I didn't have a taste for chicken. I'd love to know your secret ingredient though....hey wait, you didn't pick up one of those ant-covered marshmallows that the girls dropped on the ground, did you? And you call yourself a Boy Scout :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:!

4. LOL, ya'll must have had a extremely good time! I hope ya'll do share the recipes!

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for starting this thread, Sommer! It gives me a good place to put the menu for Friday Night's Meet and Greet!!!

Honey Baked Ham
    Honey Baked Turkey
    Shrimp Ceaeser
    Southern Potato Salad
    Curried Broccoli Salad
    Gazpacho Salad
    Greek Style Pasta Salad
    Strawberry Pretzel Salad
    Banana Pudding
    Mixed Nuts
    Cheese Tray
    Juice, Sodas and Bottled Water

And thanks to Frank and Marissa for the Cannolis, and to Grandma Carolyn for bringing Aunt Irene's Pound Cake!

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Sommer,
    I think this is the salad you are referring to:

Gazpacho Salad

½ cup real mayo
    ½ cup chopped curly parsley
    1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 ½ cups quartered cherry tomatoes
    2-3 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded, diced)
    1/3 cup chopped red onion
    1 medium chopped red or yellow bell pepper (optional…I leave this out)

1. Combine mayo, parsley, hot sauce and salt.
    2. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
    3. Cover and refrigerate…it’s better if you make it the night before.

Anyone else that would like recipes, feel free to ask.

Faye...if you read this...WE WANT YOUR COOKIE RECIPE!!!!!:biggrin:

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I would also like the recipe for the pizza, it was outstanding.

8. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Your technique was interesting, but the results left a little to be desired. Usually the "taste like chicken" crack us reserved for meat products, not chocolate and marshmellows.:tongue:

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah Mason, how I wish I could have shot a picture of you all ready to make S'Mores Alabama-Style. This community would have really enjoyed seeing that. The sad part is that your way of making S'Mores probably would have worked!

10. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Everything was great!!! But I would really likes these recipe's posted too! Yummy!!!! What a great weekend to eat, isn't anytime a good time to eat?? LOL

Curried Broccoli Salad
    Greek Style Pasta Salad
    Strawberry Pretzel Salad

Thanks!
    Jennifer (logged in under Joe):Wink:

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Pretzel Salad Recipe
    FIRST LAYER
    • 2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
    • 3/4 cup melted margarine
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    SECOND LAYER
    • 1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 2 cups whipped topping (small container)
    THIRD LAYER
    • 1 lg pkg (6 ounces) strawberry flavored gelatin
    • 2 cups boiling water
    • 1 (10oz) boxes frozen strawberries

Preheat oven to 400°. Put first layer in a 9x13x2-inch pan. Bake 8 minutes. Remove to cool completely.
    Second Layer - Beat sugar into cheese, stir in whipped topping. Spread over cooled pretzels.
    Third Layer - Mix gelatin, boiling water and strawberries together and set aside 10 minutes. Pour over cheese mixture; chill thoroughly.

Greek Style Pasta Salad
    1 box rotini pasta (cooked, drained, cooled)
    1 bottle greek dressing of your choice (I used Gazebo Room Greek Dressing...you can buy it online)
    1 english cucumber cut in half moons
    1 pint cherry tomatoes
    1/2 small red onion rough chop
    1 cup sliced kalamata olives
    4 oz crumbled feta cheese

Mix everything together except feta cheese. Once everything is incorporated with the dressing, sprinkle the feta cheese on top. Cover and chill. Serve cold.

Curried Broccoli Salad
    4 cups broccoli florettes
    1 small bag sliced almonds
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
    1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
    1/2 small red onion (small chop)
    2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice

Toss first 3 ingredients together. In separate bowl, combine next 4 ingredients. Pour over broccoli mixture. Sprinkle top with slice almonds. Cover and chill. Serve cold.

12. Mmmmm!!! No recipes to contribute here but I really appreciate seeing others putting theirs in this thread! That Greek Pasta Salad was right up my alley -- ate a LOT of it that Friday night! The Pretzel Salad was really unique and delicious, too!

13. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I can't wait to make the recipes that were provided. I love to make new recipes and these are perfect!

Thanks again.
    Jennifer (Joe's wife :)

14. Dang, don't scare me like that...I thought it was Joe!