my latest boneheaded stunt...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BourbonCowboy, May 1, 2007.

1. I've got a Smith & Wesson Tactical knife that I carry during the summer while working as a park ranger for the US Army Corps of Engineers. This knife has taken quite a bit of abuse, but has held up pretty well. So tonight, I decided to clean and sharpen it.

To make a long story short, I almost cut my thumb off. Now I can't hold my camera...and I'm not happy about this. I considered stitches, but I figured that a big gauze pad and some electrical tape would do the trick.

Now my thumb looks like a Q-tip - wrapped in black tape. However, this has been a learning experience. I've realized that when you try to sharpen a knife, don't rush. It's much better to take your time and avoid the injury. I've also learned that, when you're walking through a store with gauze pads in one hand, a very bloody rag in the other and a distressed look on your face, people tend to get out of your way.

Another useful tidbit: I now know what the proximal phalange is. It's the bone in your thumb just below the knuckle. I actually got to see mine.

So...treat this post as a cautionary tale. Be careful in your everyday lives. Don't get in a hurry and make silly mistakes, because bad things could happen. Had the blade been about 4 inches higher, I would've been rushing to the hospital with a slit artery. Trust me, I never thought something like this would ever happen to me. I've been handling knives since I was a kid. I've never cut myself - not even once. But there's a first time for everything...and again, be careful. Please don't be an idiot like me...don't let this happen to you.

2. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    OUCH! Sorry to hear that, Mark. Hope you're back to shooting soon.

3. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    pictures?!
    or are they not family friendly?

still i'm interested... hopefully it heals fine for you

4. You don't wanna see this. And even if you did, I can't hold my camera...at least I don't think I can.

5. Thanks Rex. I'll live. I'm just really angry at myself right now.

6. :840: I love knives and have slliced myself many times, but, my wife wont let me play with sharp objects and drinking and cooking is verbotten, except the toaster and bbq outside......

7. So sorry to hear this

I am so sorry to hear this, glad to know it seems there is no major damage, cut like these can be tricky and terrible.

Get well soon!

8. Ouch! I hope you mend quickly.

9. Well its to late for stitches any way.

I would forgo the gauze and electrical tape and go het some butterfly closures, some dermabond and some gauze wrap.

Use the butterfly closures to pull the ends of the skin together use the dermabond to seal the wound and make the BC stick then wrap the whole mess in gauze or a ace bandage. Change daily (wash and irrigate as needed) and watch for infection.

10. Mark,

I'm sorry to hear this! One thing to consider, if you've not had a tetanus shot in the last 2 years, you may want to call your doc and see if they feel you need one. Typically, they're more for puncture than wide open wounds, but certainly not something you want to mess around with.

Keep it elevated above the level of your heart while sitting (for swelling) and ice for the first 72hrs to help with swelling pain.

Hope you heal quickly!

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Mark,
    I hate to hear about your "incident". I hope you recover quickly...not being able to take pictures, man, that's gotta hurt as bad as the injury!

Get to feeling well soon! And BE CAREFUL!!!!

12. Wow Mark, I feel for you!
    I second Gretchen's comment about tetanus - not something to take chances on. Please get a medical opinion.

13. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    what

Get yourself to a doctor, right NOW!

14. If you were able to see exposed bone, you really need to seek medical attention for this injury. It's nothing to mess around with and you DON'T want to risk serious infection. Get yourself to a doctor!!! NOW!!!!

Sorry that this happened to you -- ouch! Please don't add insult to injury by attempting self-care of what sounds like a fairly serious open wound.

15. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Mark. Hopefully you heal quickly. I also second the opinions of seeing a doctor, no reason to take chances.

As for not being able to hold the camera, that is what they made tripods for... silly man! :biggrin:

16. nooykt

nooykt Guest

dude, how about some pictures? :)

really, you should get stitches... it'll look better in the long run. but if you can't, like Irish Bryan says, you gotta keep the wound clean.

17. Mark, I hope you mend quickly. I know that thumb bound to have been throbbing last night. Do take good care of it and don't let it get infected.

18. I am concerned that you see the phalyngeal bone. That means you had a risk of injuring the tendon controlling the distal phaynx and could have damaged it. If you had accidently injured the bone and the infection gets to the bone you will develop osteomyelitis. This is serious and may need prolonged antibiotics or even worse.

You should see the physician soon.

19. Thanks for the concern everyone. I removed the bandage today and poured alcohol on it again - which hurt worse than the original cut. I then covered it with Neosporin and rebandaged it. It's a clean cut - not jagged, so I'm expecting it to heal ok, with the usual scarring. I'm covered with scars, so one more isn't a big concern. If I notice any changes (other than healing) I'll make a trip to the hospital.

20. OK Mark, knock it off - get medical attention. A tetanus shot is a MUST here (yeah, it will hurt as heck too :biggrin: ). Seriously - GO!