Share My latest obsession - Vinyl

I haven't been around much lately because I've found another wonderful waste of my money: vinyl albums.

When I was a kid in the late 70s, I had a cheap record player and a few albums that I loved to listen to at night. As the inevitable march of technology progressed, I moved to 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, and eventually digital downloads. But the nostalgic student of history, long-buried, recently emerged from my childhood when I chatted with a friend who enjoyed his collection of vinyl albums. I decided to take the plunge and bought an old turntable and receiver. I was hooked from the first album, although my neighbors are far less enthusiastic.

So far, my collection has grown to about 75 albums, mostly from the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately, the more I collect, the more I want. It's like an auditory trip through my childhood and adolescence. What's worse, most of the remaining albums on my "must have" list are quite expensive - at least the original pressings.

Tonight's turntable fare...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mark: I have some old vinyl that the wife has been after me to get rid of. I want to digitize first.
Do you have any recommendations for A-D turntables? I remember back in the day that the needle and especially the pick-up were essential in getting good response. Any guesstimate on $$?

Real Name
Mike
I love vinyl! I've acquired several collections from family members and friends. Must have over 500 albums from every genre. I don't have my turntable set up on my good system - winter project. Then I plan to start organizing and cataloging everything. The last set of boxes I received had hundreds of 45s dating back to the 50s. Can't wait to hear them. I also have a stack of old 78s, but my turntable won't play them. I need to find something that will so I can digitize them before they disintegrate.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I also love vinyl and have a turnable that I use every once in awhile. Congrats on the new hobby and love that Bon Jovi album; great tunes on that one!

I'm a bit of a newbie to vinyl, but love the sound. I've got a friend who is more of an expert on the subject. I asked him about repressings and reissues. Here's what he told me:

"There are only 9 (I believe) pressing plants left in the entire world. No new presses have been made since the 80's and there are no companies making replacement parts. Most all plants also have their own machine shops to fab parts if the presses break down. Most all of them are always running at full capacity these days.

As far as quality, it's about how the albums are recorded and mastered. Most new represses of old albums are sourced from either the cd or mp3, so that totally defeats the purpose of the analog format. Some companies, like Music on Vinyl, go out of their way to obtain the original master tapes and then cut them to vinyl. THOSE are the ones that sound amazing and well worth the money."

Beauties there, Mark. I kept all my vinyl but my early 80's Denon turntable needs a converter to work with my home theater receiver. Good winter project I need to do. Nothing like the warmth of an album.

Keep posting your playlists!

I still have a lot of vinyl. Some of it I want to sell. Like the Moody Blues Days of Future Past and MFSL Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. Is there a better place to sell than Ebay?

I still have a lot of vinyl. Some of it I want to sell. Like the Moody Blues Days of Future Past and MFSL Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. Is there a better place to sell than Ebay?
Whatcha got? I might be interested.

Otherwise, check out www.discogs.com. I buy a lot of albums there, and the prices are usually reasonable.

Check the prices on other copies before you sell them.

Beauties there, Mark. I kept all my vinyl but my early 80's Denon turntable needs a converter to work with my home theater receiver. Good winter project I need to do. Nothing like the warmth of an album.

I've only been at this hobby for a little over a month, so my album collection isn't much - maybe 75 albums.

As for your turntable... Just pick up a vintage receiver and a pair of decent used speakers and you'll unleash that wonderful sound. My receiver was produced in 1978 and my turntable in 1976. I bought a sweet Denon cartridge for it and couldn't be happier. Well, I could always be happier - with a few more albums.:biggrin:

NAD PP3 turntable pre amp works for me........my home theatre amp didn't have a sep turntable phono amp so the sound (volume) was weak,bought the PP3 and never looked back - it also converts to digital and has USB out!

Radio Shack is your friend if you want to play vinyl. They still have decent turntables to sell at several prices. They don't have as many catridges as they used to have. I bought a 100 dollar cartridge many years ago and with the low rumble turntable I have (from Radio Shack that they still sell from Audi Technica), it works great.

What albums are you looking for, Cowboy?
I'm still working on my "must have" list. Some of them are fairly expensive - particularly albums produced after 1992.

Radio Shack is your friend if you want to play vinyl. They still have decent turntables to sell at several prices. They don't have as many catridges as they used to have. I bought a 100 dollar cartridge many years ago and with the low rumble turntable I have (from Radio Shack that they still sell from Audi Technica), it works great.
I went to www.needledoctor.com and found my Denon cartridge. Really simple to install and it sounds great.

Wait.. no Nirvana on the playlist?? Come on, you can't play GNR without Nirvana :smile:
I'm not much of a Nirvana fan, but I'm on the lookout for Pearl Jam's Ten album and Dirt from Alice in Chains. They're hard to find in original pressings and expensive when you can locate them.

I'm not much of a Nirvana fan, but I'm on the lookout for Pearl Jam's Ten album and Dirt from Alice in Chains. They're hard to find in original pressings and expensive when you can locate them.
:smile: Those are good ones!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What you need is a phono stage which will amplify the very tiny signal generated by your cartridge so that it can then be amplified again by your receiver. Phono cartridges put out a signal measured in mili volts. In the old days any receiver you bought would have one already built in. Now manufacturers don't usually include them both for cost saving and because most people have long since left their vinyl behind. Your other inputs (dvd player, cd, fm receiver) all output signals at a level that your receiver can use as is without 'pre-amplifying'). See:http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=tubebox as an example only. There are many to choose from from around 100 to many thousands. I've been collecting vinyl for 45 years. Couldn't imagine life without vinyl!

My brother's first wife has the first Rolling Stones "Some Girls" album with all the faces intact before the threat of legal action made them remove some I've never seen another.

Looks like a fun hobby I used to have 100s of them

What you need is a phono stage which will amplify the very tiny signal generated by your cartridge so that it can then be amplified again by your receiver. Phono cartridges put out a signal measured in mili volts. In the old days any receiver you bought would have one already built in. Now manufacturers don't usually include them both for cost saving and because most people have long since left their vinyl behind. Your other inputs (dvd player, cd, fm receiver) all output signals at a level that your receiver can use as is without 'pre-amplifying'). See:http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=tubebox as an example only. There are many to choose from from around 100 to many thousands. I've been collecting vinyl for 45 years. Couldn't imagine life without vinyl!
It is important to use a phono pre-amp, either as a stage in a receiver or integrated amp or as a standalone device (if your receiver or amp does not have a phono input, such standalone pre-amps are a good way to get phonograph-playing capability). The phono pre-amp does more that just boost the signal from the phono cartridge. It also restores the full frequency response of the signal from the LP, which is compressed. Vinyl records were limited in the frequency range they could "store" by the extremes of side-to-side movement that the stylus could handle. Low frequencies especially could prove challenging or impossible to track. For this reason, the signal was compressed prior to cutting the "master" for pressing the LP's. The compression "curve" was standardized sometime in the late 1940's by the RIAA and was thus referred to as the "RIAA equalization curve".

I always liked Grado Black carts the best. They were great full spectrum but the midrange a was a treat. After kids came though, the table just collected dust. Nothing like dancing kids to upset the stylus. Now it's all ripped (lossless) to my computer and plays through my audio system via AppleTv. Sometimes I miss the snap crackle and pop of vinyl, but, that only lasts about as long as it takes to skip to the next track on the remote.

I do love music, though. I average 5-10 albums a week. Lately I've been going towards "older" country and Motown music. Kids are growing up exposed to everything from
Opera to Rancid. They know most of The Ramones tunes by heart - which is a joy to me as they're my favorite.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom