Share My latest obsession - Vinyl

I ended up with the Technica Lp120, came with a cartridge, I will use my Sony LV-1000 receiver, until I get a old copper wired transformer wrapped receiver.............told my Wife I was getting back into vinyls, she reminded me there was a day I was going to toss all my old albums and go all CDs.................I bit my tongue. :censored:
What is up with the pricing on the Audio Technica LP120, between Christmas and New Year's it was selling for $229 everywhere, then after went back to $249, and now is selling for $299.

Thought real hard about picking one up, as my Technics I had found an oil leak?, the platter rubber with a split, and an apparently bent needle.

I snoozed and missed out.

The built in pre_amp would have been a bonus also.

How do you like the AT LP120?

What is up with the pricing on the Audio Technica LP120, between Christmas and New Year's it was selling for $229 everywhere, then after went back to $249, and now is selling for $299.
The built in pre_amp would have been a bonus also.
How do you like the AT LP120?
well apart from my old turntable I had to go to YouTube university to see the set up procedure, very high tech compared to my old one, now it has been set up and playing, the $289 price I paid came with extra cartridge and a carbon fiber brush? I do feel I made a good choice..........now my speakers are junk. Small room and my JBLs just don't have the base, so I am in search for speakers. my first record played was Doobie Bros.:D

well apart from my old turntable I had to go to YouTube university to see the set up procedure, very high tech compared to my old one, now it has been set up and playing, the $289 price I paid came with extra cartridge and a carbon fiber brush? I do feel I made a good choice..........now my speakers are junk. Small room and my JBLs just don't have the base, so I am in search for speakers. my first record played was Doobie Bros.:D
PS, the only feature I wish the LP120 had was an automatic return, as sometimes I can be on a project and step out of the room, come back only to find the record spinning with arm in center scratching away.

If your amp has the capabilities, a subwoofer might be the answer.

I have a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers, when coupled with a sub, very nice sound.

the Polk Audio RTI A1 came in today and all wired up, they delivered the bass I was looking for, like night and day from my JBL 500, all ranges sound great for bookshelf's.
Cool - sounds like a great system. Been doing more 2 channel listening and vinyl collecting than photography. As you can see this is cell phone shot of my main rig - like collecting old McIntosh gear.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cool - sounds like a great system. Been doing more 2 channel listening and vinyl collecting than photography. As you can see this is cell phone shot of my main rig - like collecting old McIntosh gear.
Looks like we have something else in common, John. I have a C26 preamp, MC2100 power amp, and a pair of ML-1C speakers. Is that a tuner or a tuner/preamp at the top?

Cool - sounds like a great system. Been doing more 2 channel listening and vinyl collecting than photography. As you can see this is cell phone shot of my main rig - like collecting old McIntosh gear. E]

John, I've been doing the same thing for a while, that is 2 channel listening and vinyl collecting than photography. Up until just recently after finding out about a few heart health issues going on, I'm finding myself getting back to the old camera again. Both hobbies are relaxing for sure.
George.

I have a Garrard Z2000B turntable. My record collection runs the full gamut from classical, rock, big band C&W and jazz. I just recently picked up a copy of the Kinks Greatest Hits 1964 to 1970. My collection is not as big as it was. My son "discovered" vinyl and subsequently my collection. I recovered most of what he borrowed but there are albums I know I had but cannot find.

Thanks to George (GeoKost), I've now got twin turntables...kind of.

Mark, it has been a while since I visited this thread looking at the date of your post, but I like the comparison you did here. You are very welcome my friend. Oh, you need to tell the crowd here about the other one you are working on presently.
George.

Looks like we have something else in common, John. I have a C26 preamp, MC2100 power amp, and a pair of ML-1C speakers. Is that a tuner or a tuner/preamp at the top?
Hey Jim - Its a tuner! MR-77. I still listen to FM in DC area. I have almost as bad a McIntosh collection habit as Nikon gear. MC2100, MC250, MX113 tuner/preamp. And a bevy of excess speakers. Seems we are drawn to similar hobbies!

Hey Jim - Its a tuner! MR-77. I still listen to FM in DC area. I have almost as bad a McIntosh collection habit as Nikon gear. MC2100, MC250, MX113 tuner/preamp. And a bevy of excess speakers. Seems we are drawn to similar hobbies!
We listen to FM a lot, too, mainly PBS. I need a good tuner to go with the Mac system...always wished I had bought the MX113 rather than the C26.

Remember Myer-Emco? That's where I bought my Mac stuff back in 1973.

We listen to FM a lot, too, mainly PBS. I need a good tuner to go with the Mac system...always wished I had bought the MX113 rather than the C26.

Remember Myer-Emco? That's where I bought my Mac stuff back in 1973.
Wow, of course, Jim. I grew up in the Seven Corners area of Falls Church. Very close to that location. I couldn't afford the Mac gear so I settled for Yamaha receiver, BW speakers, Denon TT. The sales guys were kind to us HS kids showing up every so often to 'demo' hifi. Small world.

Oh, you need to tell the crowd here about the other one you are working on presently.
Yep, this could be the best one of all. It's a Technics SL-MA1 like the pair in the photo, but unlike those tables, this one will use standard cartridges. I've had the plinth re-veneered and stained it myself (but I need to add a coat of polyurethane to seal the stain). I think I've got all the parts ready to go. I will post photos when it's up and running.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Tell me please. Does none of you lugs use the Sound Organisation tables for your Hi Fy gear. Do you know the ones with the sharp leveling pins on each leg. They push into your floor and dampen any vibration you might otherwise get with a standard cabinet. Has anyone got the NAMCO speakers. I still have mine and a set of Celestion Dinton 22's A Tree way speaker. Very nice sound from them also. The Namco's are only about 6 inch tall and 4 inch wide all steel construction mega expensive at the time but a quality speaker none the less. That are as good today as the were all those years ago.
Cheers.
Mike

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Just recently picked up a box of old albums, a nice collection of Sinatra from the 60s and 70s Looking forward to getting the Direct drive pmount Technique turntable a spin. Been a few months! Need to sort the keepers (condition) from the giveaway pile.

Just recently picked up a box of old albums, a nice collection of Sinatra from the 60s and 70s Looking forward to getting the Direct drive pmount Technique turntable a spin. Been a few months! Need to sort the keepers (condition) from the giveaway pile.
Jump in there Wade and give them a try. Then post a picture of you spinning one.

George.

Go for it, Wade. I'm a big fan of Technics direct drive tables - particularly the p-mount tables such as the SL-MA1. I've got three of them. Just make sure that your vinyl is clean...otherwise you might toss some true gems in the giveaway pile.

And, like George said, post a few photos of the table in action.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Go for it, Wade. I'm a big fan of Technics direct drive tables - particularly the p-mount tables such as the SL-MA1. I've got three of them. Just make sure that your vinyl is clean...otherwise you might toss some true gems in the giveaway pile.

And, like George said, post a few photos of the table in action.
No worries there being an old audiophile, I have a detailed cleaning regime. My turntable is one of the linear tracking, surprisingly good since I bought it in 85! Several different cartridges through the years. The adcom preamp still sounds very clean.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom