My latest visit to the Ann van Dyk Cheetah Centre

Real Name
John A Alexander
If you get the chance to visit Johannesburg, South Africa, I really recommend a trip to the Ann van Dyk Cheetah Centre. Although it takes at least an hour by car from the city it is not only an interesting place to visit but you will be supporting a good cause. The aim of the centre is not just to provide a sanctuary for cheetahs that cannot survive in the wild, they also operate programmes to increase the population of cheetahs and African Wild Dogs in the wild. For example in the Madiwke game reserve they have a cheetah from the centre (there are only four of these cats in Madikwe) and I also believe that the pack of wild dogs there came from the centre's breeding programme. On some mornings there is the opportunity to see the cheetahs getting some exercise, check the web site for details.

All comments welcome, thank you.

1)
48871513413_aade071840_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre-1 by John Alexander, on Flickr

2)
48871511698_49bd95958f_h.jpg

Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre-2 by John Alexander, on Flickr

3)
48871508733_fca7138f6d_h.jpg

Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre-3 by John Alexander, on Flickr

4)
48872232912_6afca8306b_h.jpg

Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre-4 by John Alexander, on Flickr

5)
48871505348_0c27597442_h.jpg

Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre-5 by John Alexander, on Flickr

6)
48872034116_af68ad5d8a_h.jpg

Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre-7 by John Alexander, on Flickr

7)
48872224802_3257f5cd93_h.jpg

Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre-8 by John Alexander, on Flickr

Last edited:
Terrific action shots of these beautiful cats!

I have visited their cousins (and the Painted Dogs as well) at Madikwe but was disappointed to find that they had collared their Cheetahs.

On the other hand, Phinda has dozens of Cheetahs running wild (and even climbing trees!) and the ones there are not collared.

Real Name
John A Alexander
Dynamic photos.
Thank you Jim.

Terrific action shots of these beautiful cats!
I have visited their cousins (and the Painted Dogs as well) at Madikwe but was disappointed to find that they had collared their Cheetahs.
On the other hand, Phinda has dozens of Cheetahs running wild (and even climbing trees!) and the ones there are not collared.
Ann, as I undertsand it, the reason the cheetah has a collar in Madikwe is for the admin team there to monitor her and it is not for the use of the trackers/rangers on game drives. If the data from the collar helps the process of getting more cats in the wild then I am happy with that.

Last edited:
I did realise that the collar was for monitoring purposes but it does spoil the beauty of the animals for photography. I found that Phinda is a better location than Madikwe if you want to photograph Cheetahs in the wild.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom