my lens comparison test

OK rough and ready and mainly out of interest. Using a Nikon 810 hand held, I was curious how the Nikon 24-70mm G lens at f2.8 compared with the Tamron 24-70 mm G2 at f2.8
So with everything "settings " the same and distance same, lenses at 70mm.

both photos cropped of a house brick wall

Nikon
qAn2Q6M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tamron
KyaDPSW.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All I can conclude is the Nikon lens is soft at f2.8 but also it has been "repaired "a couple of times which might account for it.
Ok different f stops may produce different results but f2.8 was the setting I wanted to check

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Different sizes, different exposures, hand held- way too many variables for any decision making process. No useful information here. Come to any conclusion you want, but this test supports nothing.
Gary
Maybe so, however I am finding the Tamron lens far better than the Nikon version. I did say a rough and ready test anyway

Good for you, glad you like the tamron. I have shot with some of their g2 glass and have been happy with it as well.
I just do not want others to use your "testing" to make their decision as well. You also mentioned the nikon had been repaired in the past- it really depends on who repaired it. I have tried repairing damaged lenses in the past myself as a challenge- but they were never sharp again.
gary

everything "settings " the same and distance same, lenses at 70mm.
Yet the magnification of the second one is more than 50% larger. You mentioned that you cropped both images, but when you presented the images strictly for comparisons the crops should have been much closer to the same if not exactly the same.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom