1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My little girls soccer portrait

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Sauk, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Well today was portrait day for her soccer league. Since I always hate the quality of life touch or whatever they are called I shot my own girl here out our house.

What are your thoughts on these? Thanks for any input.

View attachment 252729

View attachment 252730

View attachment 252731

(if I posted this in the wrong section please move. Figured it was sport related)

2. matthew
    1. you are a great photgrapher
    2. your daughter is so cute
    3. i know that THESE shots are FAR better than what the "official" photog would have done
    but.....
    the line of shrubbery/sun in the first 2 images and shade/sun in the last 2 images, cutting right across her neck... is very distracting... IMHO

no offense intended
    the OOF elements works well for great BOKEH
    but the diagonal striping of shrubbery, sun, and shade takes center stage, somewhat

3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    spalding12,

Yeah I saw that to :(  Dang it lol

I will have to do it towards the night when the sun is down back there. Thanks for commenting, it really does help me :) 

4. matthew,
    i DO want you to know that the shots are excellent
    i cannot tell you how many time i don't notice something about the background i canNOT change in post.... until i'm at my computer at 11 PM :frown:

5. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    lol no worries :)  Heck that is why I post so many different eyes see my misses. You can't get better without failing :) 

6. we are ALL learning, EVERY day

7. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Mathew those are great shots and you have a beautiful daughter. Did you use fill flash?

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I'd be tempted to cut these out w/ CS3 and use a different background....

Great smile. You can tell she is trying to please her daddy.... :biggrin:

9. Not all "official" photogs are bad, :biggrin:
    Example, I worked with what I had, an indoor volleyball team outside (why, ask the AD, even the team didn't know).

GCB_6252.
    NIKON D300    ---    34mm    f/8.0    1/250s   

some thing different as the backgrounds were goal posts, soccer nets, and stands, all with my little SB-800. Granted Lifetouch and many others yearbook/ T&I companies just hire photographers in college kids learning or amateurs with D50s and kit lenses, but people have to start somewhere.

As for the shots, I agree, the shrubs don't help, and the shade/sun line doesn't as well. Sometimes its tough to get "THE" shot even for the better photogs with all the variables to work with.

10. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I should clarify that it isn't the photog that is bad per say, it is the quality of the print that comes back to the parents that is complete crap.

Fill flash was used. I used my D3 and Sigma 300mm. Love that lens lol

I am going to wait till I get my strobes back from AlienBee to shoot it again. I am going to do some more creative things with it next time.

11. ah...
    i meant no offense to the many working photogs here at THE CAFE... :smile:
    i was merely following up on matthew's comments about wanting to take his daughter's OFFICIAL pictures, himself

i'm sorry if i insulted anyone.....
    that certainly was NOT my intention

i DO like that volleyball player shot, very much

12. Ahh interesting, sounds as though they didn't test the lab they use. I always make sure that the lab makes my work look as great as I send it to them. Why make yourself look bad.

Can't wait to see the new work when the time comes.

13. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Those are very nice. If only the background didn't have the sun/shade line, they would be close to perfect. Very nice use of fill flash. Next time, have her (and the background) in complete shade and you will nail it.

14. I do agree with the shade/hard light, but overall these are still good pics Matt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.