1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My little princess

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Swardpics, Aug 17, 2009.

1. I purchased some new studio lights this weekend and wanted to test them out and my daughter was more than wiling to pose for the camera. This is my first time using studio lights, so any C&C is welcome.

621813487_tYGFA-L-3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

621818931_nJX5g-L-2.jpg

621817048_GSWX9-L-2.jpg

621846987_NiGAn-L-1.jpg

621845602_PDisu-L-1.jpg

621821057_j9Lce-L-2.jpg

621812052_NL5Fh-L-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  2. not bad but man I hate black backgrounds...
    i'd put a light behind her opposite the one in front of her to separate from the BG.

3. Thanks Laura, I will try that and see how they turn out. I am learning by trial and error at this point.

4. TommyO

TommyO

Oct 16, 2008
    West Michigan
    Needs a hair light and a back light to separate her from that backdrop. Very nice photo's - she reminds me of my daughter who also leaps at a chance to pose & try on EVERY outfit she owns for a shoot. :) 

5. So, I need to use at least 3 lights? Is that what you think would make these shots look better?

Laura, what is it about the black background that you don't like. I see many portrait shooters out there using them.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. photobrad

photobrad

Oct 1, 2008
    Florida
    the black is fine, but the add'l lights will make her pop out of it more by defining the edges and separating her from the background.
    Nice start actually :D 
    bb

7. TommyO

TommyO

Oct 16, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yes, a three light setup would work really nicely. I've "cheated" in the past with a MagLight as a hair-light, my SB-800 as side-fill, and the pop-up flash as main. Now I borrow my dad's studio strobes, but the effect is the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.