My long lens carrying solution - Kinesis L526

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Phil K, Jun 23, 2007.

1. I was looking for a long lens case for my 800/5.6. Lowepro has a long lens case but it's not big enough. I heard Kinese made nice cases so I went to their website to take a look. The L621 looked great but the internal diameter was a bit marginal for the 800mm with RRS plate attached. I emailed them and they could not confirm as they didn't have a 800mm to test it. Then I found the L526, which was less rigid as the L621 but with a larger internal diameter, so I ordered it. It's a very nicely built case.

original.

A side view showing the included front pouch. There are also 2 side pockets for other stuff. I also ordered the H245 shoulder harness to change it into a backpack.

original.

From the above, you can see that it's not long enough for the 800mm with the camera attached. So the camera body has to be detached and put in the front pouch. Another solution is to add the L128 deep lid to increase the length of the case. Now the camera + lens can be put inside together, with room on top for a wind breaker.

original.

I'm happy with the case, and also with Kinesis' service. Emails were well answered within a few hours.

2. Looks like a great solution, Phil. The deep lid is a great innovation. Very informative text and pics.

3. Excellent, Phil! How long is the case altogether, then? Looks rather large.....

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is just a monster:>))lolol

You do well by it though..
    Good shootin to ya

5. Looks nice!

BTW:
    Seems like a good solution for carrying sleeping kids, too?

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Michael , I think they would fit too

7. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    How about a picture with that thing on your back? It does look big enough to fit a child standing up.

DAB

8. I have to admit that every time I look at it, I am reminded of a body bag!

9. Thanks everyone.

Connie and DAB, the bag is 'only' 22 in long, so it's not quite big enough to be a body bag. :biggrin:

10. Ah....well, then you could fit a very SMALL child into it! :biggrin:

11. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Thanks for the thoughts phil! I have been looking at this company for transporting my 500 with body. Glad it is working well for you

12. This should fit a 600mmVR correct?

13. Phil, I have been using the Kinesis system for years and find that they make superb componenets. I'll have to give them a call, or check the site, to see is they now have a deeper lid for the 511, which I use for my 400. Just a touch too short with a 1.7 TC added.

One thing that will make the whole thing easier to carry as a backup is to get the Waist Belt and attach the harness to it as well. That way the weight is distrubted across your hips as well as shoulders.

Great gear, I recommend Kinesis often, and they are very helpful on the phone and via email.

14. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    I just received the Kinesis L521e with shoulder harness and inserts to carry my D3 and the 200-400/300vr. I ordered this size because it allows the hood of the 300 to be extended, and will also take a 400mm if that lens ever comes my way in the future.
    To carry two bodies when travelling with long lenses attached I also recently purchased the Lowepro 600AW...another great bag. Unfortunately, the Lowepro bag is now discontinued.