My Long Weekend In Cuba - Part II

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by JusPlainCrayzee, Mar 6, 2017.

1. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Here is Part I of ‘My Long Weekend in Cuba’

As you can imagine, the classic car is king over there, and everywhere you turned there was a different car to be seen:

Bentley or Rolls?
    [​IMG]

Thunderbirds
    [​IMG]

The car we rode in all weekend...
    [​IMG]

I was surprised to find, however, that one of the more common ways to get around the city is by horse and buggy – I was not expecting that at all. Hitchhiking is yet another method used to get from one place to another, and we saw many people seeking rides along the highway.

Horse and Buggy
    [​IMG]

Speaking of people, I found the locals to be delightful. Despite the fact that I only speak a smattering of Spanish, I found myself able to communicate and everyone was so friendly. I also found Cuba to be very safe, and had no problems walking through the streets of Havana at night.

'Eric'
    [​IMG]

Trumpet Man
    [​IMG]

The food was fine. No street food for us; we ate at ‘paladars’ and we never got sick. One of my nieces is a vegetarian, however, and at first we thought she would have a tough time. We were able to find a paladar, though, that catered to vegetarians, and their offerings were outstanding. We also enjoyed the chocolate milk at the Museo de Chocolata (sooo good!), as well as the ice cream in one of the local shops. The drinks? Marvelous, LOL! We had mojitos, Cuba Libres and pina coladas, and they were all delicious.

Making my Pina Colada...
    [​IMG]

Our tours took us to the cities of Vinales and Matanzas. Vinales was where we toured a tobacco farm and saw how cigars were made. I also learned that the tobacco farmers only receive 10% from the sale of their harvest after selling their crops to the government, which they must do.

House in the Vinales Valley
    [​IMG]

Tobacco Farm
    [​IMG]

Tobacco Leaves
    [​IMG]

I Didn't Inhale - I Promise!
    [​IMG]

I especially enjoyed the city of Matanzas, where we stopped and spent time at Varadero Beach, which was beautiful. Crystal clear water, white powdery sand and a gorgeous day – it was perfect.

Varadero Beach
    [​IMG]
    Overall, I am happy to have seen Cuba in its current state. I predict, though, that while there will be many changes, those changes will not come soon, and Starbucks will not open up a storefront any time in the near future. I am planning a return visit, this time without my nieces to further explore the country.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Thank you! This is neat stuff. My daughter is fluent in Spanish and will have to accompany me, I guess.

3. JusPlainCrayzee

Thanks! You can get along without an interpreter, although is it truly helpful to know a smattering of Spanish. I can speak a little of the language, but prior to arriving in Cuba, I downloaded an English to Spanish translator that I could use offline. It was very helpful!

4. MarkG

MarkG

Apr 11, 2012
    Lincs, UK
    Great pictures and thanks for the info. Which company did you use to organise your tour? We are hoping to visit in 2018 and I can't hack more than a couple of days on the beach!

5. An amazing trip...

Glenn

6. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Wow more gorgeous photos you make it look so appealing anyone would be tempted glad y'all had a great time. Any more photos to come? The link to Part III seems to be missing :)

7. JusPlainCrayzee

Thank you! I used Havana Journeys for our tours and they were quite good.

Thank you, Glenn!

Thank you! I took a ton of images, and am still processing. There may be a Part III soon...! :)

8. Another wonderful set! You look quite happy.

9. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Outstanding images and travelogue! Well done!!! Your images convey a lot of different aspects of life in Cuba!

10. Kill n time

Kill n time

Feb 28, 2010
    Magnolia,TX
    Some nice rides..!!

11. Another excellent set! Looks like you had a great time.

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
  13. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    A good decision to visit before it becomes so commercialized. Thanks for sharing (y)

14. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Very nice (y)

15. So just exactly how much white rum went into your pina colada?! That looks like a big pour.....!
    Another great set of images. Thanks so much for sharing them.

16. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Great pictures again Lyndee.

Is the sunlight that harsh or have you tried HDR?

Thanks a lot
    Klaus

17. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Lovely images, enjoyed Eric & Trumpet man :)

18. JusPlainCrayzee

I was, Allan - thank you!

Thanks, Karen!

They had some sweet rides down there! And the colors! And...you could tell they were well maintained, too!

Thank you, Jim! I really would like to return there.

Thanks, darlin'!

It will be a minute before commercialization truly arrives. I do understand, however, that Sheraton has contracted to build a five star hotel there. And, thank you!

Thanks, West!

Bluebear, that was one fine drink. Let's just say that that rum was in no way watered down, LOL! :ROFLMAO: And thank you!

The sun was fierce, Klaus. We did the majority of our siteseeing in the daytime, and the sun was relentless. Cool temps in the evening hours, though.

Thank you!

19. Great photos of what looks like a wonderful trip. Aunt Lyndee is officially the coolest!

20. JusPlainCrayzee

I do like to think that I'm a cool aunt, LOL! :LOL: And thank you very much!