My lunch....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nowhere near as impressive as Jim's or some other folks here, but I had to go home and sit while a piano technician tuned Janie's piano (in preparation for the big family visit the 17th). While I was waiting, I set up for a few minutes in the back yard and shot whatever moved.

Robins:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what these are (I'll try to ID them tonight), but they were very pretty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then there was the little feeder thief: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More fun than just sitting there listening to an out of tune piano. :smile:

2. Glad to see you got your feeder up the first group is a robin but I am sure you knew that the next bird is a white breasted nuthatch and the last is a male purple house Finch I believe. Very nicely done.
    If you build it they will come

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Way to gooooooo Flewwwwww

Beautiful. You did a great job on these. Keep shootin....

Love that squirrel inside the feeder :>)))) Darn they are so cute.
    I know they can be pests.

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good use of your time Frank. Excellent shots also.

5. Frank it looks like you had a great lunch.

6. So the question really:

Who needs 12 MP when you can get shots like this if you know what you are doing?

Love the colors and the sharpness and everything else!

7. First off, I don't see anything moving here, not at all. Makes me think of the Monty Python Parrot Sketch "Ee's DEAD, you've nailed 'is feet to the perch!" "No, ee's just pinin' for the Fjords, ee is..." :wink:

And haven't we seen that squirrel before, another lunch time shot? What do you do, carry these about all the time??? :biggrin:

These are really nice, and you bet much better than listening to the tuner.

And for Andreas, no I don't need 12mp, 10 will do nicely...how often do the birds let US get this close? :wink:

8. Good captures Frank and I agree, much more interesting than a piano tuner. Course with my penchant for people pictures I would have probably shot one or two of him as well. Every time I do that it seems I make a sale.

Your birdie shots and squirrel are very nice.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uh Bill, they did fly (or jump) to where the pictures were taken. :rolleyes:

As to the 12 (or 10) MP, these were shot with my measly 4MP D2H (not D4H), and several are deep crops. The H actually responds to cropping fairly well. My main concern with these is that I used the 1.7 TC (with the 300 2.8), and it is noticeably softer than say a 500 f4 (or 500 4.5). If anyone needs my Christmas list, just let me know. :tongue:

Seriously, thanks to everyone for the kind comments. First time I've been out shooting in a couple of weeks, and it was fun. :smile:

10. Wait a minute, we only have YOUR WORD that these birds flew, Flew...would YOU trust You??????? :eek: :biggrin: :wink: :wink:

My D2H does pretty darn well as well, I just need to make sure I justify my D200 purchase, don't you know, so I'm just agreeing with Andreas the I don't need the 12, but the 10 will sure help :rolleyes:

As to the "seriously", well, these are seriously good, and I know the feeling, I felt exactly the same when I got out Thanksgiving. Not shooting anything "fun" for a couple of weeks is a real drag. I'm hoping for some good weather here on Saturday, I plan to get to the London Wetland Centre and hope to see some birds we don't see at home. So pass on some of that Sun, please!.....:smile:

11. Very nice and much more interesting than listening to a piano being tuned.

Louie

12. Are you sure you didn't copy these out of National Georgraphic or something? Looks like you have a souped up 4MP. Nice results.

13. So that's where the robins are! We haven't seen one in several weeks.

Nice shots!

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks guys. It certainly was a big stress reliever to get back behind the cam. Here's one more that I really like. :smile:

Chirpin' Robin:

[​IMG]

15. Sweet these guys are long gone from up here, and when here they only fed off the lawn

16. I need to get a backyard. Possibly more so than a 500/4. Nice shots!

Ming