My Mirrorless Migration Plan

Sounds like what I've been contemplating. Basically Z for static subjects and stick with dslr for action for now. I have a feeling that when the long S glass comes out combined with the inherent accuracy of mirrorless AF the results will be amazing. Though not cheap...
Yes...maybe some day in the distant future I'll settle in on one focal length for a long prime. Then, I'll sell my three longer primes and go with one S lens instead.

Glenn

It's nice to have a plan. It sounds like you to be this organized. Some would say you're getting a late start, but by starting now you have a much better idea of what is available and coming.

I've kind of backed into the Z camp, but I'm thoroughly committed now and very much like the new territory.
Thanks...I was going to wait a lot longer, but then trying to compress the migration over a shorter period of time makes it less likely that I would wish to incur the cost.

Glenn

fwiw, I follow Hudson Henry on Youtube. He has tips for setting up the U1, 2, 3 modes for specific use cases. One is silent mode. You might want to create a setting for your purpose.
Thanks...yes I've done something similar. I have U2 set in silent mode for event photography eg weddings; concerts; etc. and I've just changed the U3 setting to Shutter priority; 12 bit RAW and single point autofocus to get the 10 frames/second and have turned off silent mode to reduce possibility of rolling shutter

I use the e-shutter on my Olympus to get the faster frame rate of 18fps, for sports.
If you do sports or wildlife, that may be worth looking into.

I have been thinking a lot about this for me, and I am leaning toward getting a used D5 for wildlife and indoor dance events, . . .

You might consider the mirrorless for the indoor stuff.
Where I would be struggling to just see the subject with the dSLR, I found the EVF to be great for LOW light, bright and easy to see the subject.

Glen, enjoy the change to mirrorless.
There definitely is a learning curve and there may/will be times you will be frustrated and want to pick up the old faithful d850. It took me a couple of months to get used to some of the differences.
Once you have everything set up it will feel right again. The wysiwyg is really amazing.
One thing I am still learning is adjusting the viewfinder so it looks like I want my picture to look. I have presets to shoot in monochrome and other color sets.
It is really odd to actually see in monochrome. It really helps sometimes. You can also adjust the color and contrast so your viewfinder actually looks like your final images.
It is a game changer. Enjoy the journey
gary

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I agree the Z bodies are not yet as capable as the D850 for action. I still have my D850 but use my Z7 for practically everything but action. I have the 24-70/4S and 70-200/2.8S and they are a great combo. I also got the TC 1.4x for Z lenses to use with the 70-200.

Great to know you're about to dip your toe in the mirrorless world Glenn.

Personally, I prefer mirrorless bodies, particularly for liveview, it is way too clunky, IMO, in Nikon DSLR's.

I'm sure it won't take you too long to adjust and start to enjoy a few of the nice benefits of mirrorless.

I currently shoot with a D850 and have a D800 as my backup camera. I own a lot of Nikon F mount glass...including the Holy Trinity, 105 Macro, 200 Micro, 200 f2, 300 2.8, 500 f4 and Sigma 15 fish.

So, my migration plan is as follows:
  • Just placed an order for the Z7ii. It's on backorder, but I've filled out a NPS (Nikon Professional Services) priority request.
  • Once the Z7ii arrives, I plan to replace the 14-24 and 24-70 lenses with the S 2.8 versions. The S version of the 24-70 looks to be a significant improvement over my 24-70 (first version) and the 14-24 also looks to be improved (although that's tough to do against my 14-24). The filter options for the 14-24 S look to be a lot more convenient.
  • I plan to keep my 70-200 F mount (latest version) and use it with the adapter for now.
  • I plan to keep all of my other F mount lenses and use the FTZ adapter for now.
  • I plan to keep my D850 for a while and use it for action photography with my long lenses. I suspect the D850 will outperform the Z7ii for action photography--sports and birds in flight.
  • Within the next year, I expect the Z7ii to transition to my backup camera. It's possible that the Z9 will be my primary camera, but I'll wait to see the pricing and specs on that first. In any event, once the Z7ii moves to being a backup, I'll sell my D850 and two of my Holy Trinity lenses.
  • I plan to keep the long telephoto primes for quite some time and use with the FTZ adapter. I will likely sell one or two of them (probably the 200 f2 and the 300 2.8) in time.
It's an expensive transition, but not as costly as it could be as I'm retaining all but two of my lenses. I have made the decision to stick with Nikon--mostly because I'm so invested in the system, particularly the lenses.

I decided that mirrorless is going to be the future for me and that it's best to start making the transition now. I don't expect the Z7ii to outperform my D850 in terms of image image quality, but I do expect the S lenses to be superior to my F mount lenses...and will also appreciate the size and weight savings. As I'm making this transition, I think I'll be better positioned to take advantage of future advances with mirrorless technology...such as the ones we are already seeing with the most recent Sony flagship body.

So, that's the plan. I made the first step by placing an order for the Z7ii today!

Glenn
Z7ii is on its way!!!

I currently shoot with a D850 and have a D800 as my backup camera. I own a lot of Nikon F mount glass...including the Holy Trinity, 105 Macro, 200 Micro, 200 f2, 300 2.8, 500 f4 and Sigma 15 fish.

So, my migration plan is as follows:
  • Just placed an order for the Z7ii. It's on backorder, but I've filled out a NPS (Nikon Professional Services) priority request.
  • Once the Z7ii arrives, I plan to replace the 14-24 and 24-70 lenses with the S 2.8 versions. The S version of the 24-70 looks to be a significant improvement over my 24-70 (first version) and the 14-24 also looks to be improved (although that's tough to do against my 14-24). The filter options for the 14-24 S look to be a lot more convenient.
  • I plan to keep my 70-200 F mount (latest version) and use it with the adapter for now.
  • I plan to keep all of my other F mount lenses and use the FTZ adapter for now.
  • I plan to keep my D850 for a while and use it for action photography with my long lenses. I suspect the D850 will outperform the Z7ii for action photography--sports and birds in flight.
  • Within the next year, I expect the Z7ii to transition to my backup camera. It's possible that the Z9 will be my primary camera, but I'll wait to see the pricing and specs on that first. In any event, once the Z7ii moves to being a backup, I'll sell my D850 and two of my Holy Trinity lenses.
  • I plan to keep the long telephoto primes for quite some time and use with the FTZ adapter. I will likely sell one or two of them (probably the 200 f2 and the 300 2.8) in time.
It's an expensive transition, but not as costly as it could be as I'm retaining all but two of my lenses. I have made the decision to stick with Nikon--mostly because I'm so invested in the system, particularly the lenses.

I decided that mirrorless is going to be the future for me and that it's best to start making the transition now. I don't expect the Z7ii to outperform my D850 in terms of image image quality, but I do expect the S lenses to be superior to my F mount lenses...and will also appreciate the size and weight savings. As I'm making this transition, I think I'll be better positioned to take advantage of future advances with mirrorless technology...such as the ones we are already seeing with the most recent Sony flagship body.

So, that's the plan. I made the first step by placing an order for the Z7ii today!

Glenn

You have done pretty much what I did and for the same reasons, except I did opt for the 70-200 f2.8S and am selling my 70-200 f2.8E FL VR. I sold all my short F mount lenses: My Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC (did have the 14-24 but sold it when I got the Tamron), 24-70 f2.8E VR, 16-35 f4G VR, 20 f1.8G, 24 f1.4G, 85 f1.4G, Sigma 35 f1.4 Art. I have kept my 105 f1.4E, 105 f2.8 Micro, 80-400 f4.5-5.6G VR, 400 f2.8E FL VR, 500 f5.6 PF and TC's for my long lens tele work. The 105 f1.4E is just stupid good and why I have kept it for the time being, but I will be very interested in the 85 f1.2 when it comes out and may then move from the 105 f1.4E.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom