My Mirrorless Migration Plan

I currently shoot with a D850 and have a D800 as my backup camera. I own a lot of Nikon F mount glass...including the Holy Trinity, 105 Macro, 200 Micro, 200 f2, 300 2.8, 500 f4 and Sigma 15 fish.

So, my migration plan is as follows:
  • Just placed an order for the Z7ii. It's on backorder, but I've filled out a NPS (Nikon Professional Services) priority request.
  • Once the Z7ii arrives, I plan to replace the 14-24 and 24-70 lenses with the S 2.8 versions. The S version of the 24-70 looks to be a significant improvement over my 24-70 (first version) and the 14-24 also looks to be improved (although that's tough to do against my 14-24). The filter options for the 14-24 S look to be a lot more convenient.
  • I plan to keep my 70-200 F mount (latest version) and use it with the adapter for now.
  • I plan to keep all of my other F mount lenses and use the FTZ adapter for now.
  • I plan to keep my D850 for a while and use it for action photography with my long lenses. I suspect the D850 will outperform the Z7ii for action photography--sports and birds in flight.
  • Within the next year, I expect the Z7ii to transition to my backup camera. It's possible that the Z9 will be my primary camera, but I'll wait to see the pricing and specs on that first. In any event, once the Z7ii moves to being a backup, I'll sell my D850 and two of my Holy Trinity lenses.
  • I plan to keep the long telephoto primes for quite some time and use with the FTZ adapter. I will likely sell one or two of them (probably the 200 f2 and the 300 2.8) in time.
It's an expensive transition, but not as costly as it could be as I'm retaining all but two of my lenses. I have made the decision to stick with Nikon--mostly because I'm so invested in the system, particularly the lenses.

I decided that mirrorless is going to be the future for me and that it's best to start making the transition now. I don't expect the Z7ii to outperform my D850 in terms of image image quality, but I do expect the S lenses to be superior to my F mount lenses...and will also appreciate the size and weight savings. As I'm making this transition, I think I'll be better positioned to take advantage of future advances with mirrorless technology...such as the ones we are already seeing with the most recent Sony flagship body.

So, that's the plan. I made the first step by placing an order for the Z7ii today!

Glenn

Last edited:

JLH

Nothing like a plan. My migration is a bit more modest. I am primarily a crop frame shooter and had been waiting to see if Nikon might have something to replace my beloved D500. That hasn't happened yet so I went with a Z50 just to get my toes wet on this type of camera. I got the only two lenses, the kit ones, currently available and of course got the FTZ adaptor to use some of my favorite glass for now. I also have a Canon EF to Z adapter coming so that I can try some of my favorite L series lenses on the Z. Don't know if I will get into full frame Z as I am more into DX format. But, "Never say never". For now my trusty D750 handles all I need in my limited FF work. Of course if I could find a good deal on a lightly used Z7 I might look at that for now.

A good plan. You are right that the Z7ii can't replace the D850 for action shots ( based on my limited experience -the rolling shutter phenomena has been problematic ) But for static images, portraits; landscapes, architecture, and still life, coupled with native s lenses the results are magical. I've found that the amount of post processing required with the Z7ii combinations is often considerably less than in my typical work flow. Enjoy your journey and I hope to see what the Z7ii can do in your capable hands.

A good plan. You are right that the Z7ii can't replace the D850 for action shots ( based on my limited experience -the rolling shutter phenomena has been problematic ) But for static images, portraits; landscapes, architecture, and still life, coupled with native s lenses the results are magical. I've found that the amount of post processing required with the Z7ii combinations is often considerably less than in my typical work flow. Enjoy your journey and I hope to see what the Z7ii can do in your capable hands.
You shouldn't be having rolling shutter effects unless you are shooting in Electronic Shutter (Silent) mode, no?

Steve Perry likes the buffer depth, dislikes the 'last image displayed' in high speed release mode, and thinks the tracking is quite up to par. He does call it a reponsive, general purpose camera but closer to the D750, D780 than the D850/D500 as a wildlife for fast action/BIF. I haven't read a review that contradicts him.

Sound thinking, imo. Don’t be surprised if you shed F mounts sooner than later as the passage of time often equates to “why am I holding on to all of this when I no longer use it?”

Enjoy!!

You shouldn't be having rolling shutter effects unless you are shooting in Electronic Shutter (Silent) mode, no?

Steve Perry likes the buffer depth, dislikes the 'last image displayed' in high speed release mode, and thinks the tracking is quite up to par. He does call it a reponsive, general purpose camera but closer to the D750, D780 than the D850/D500 as a wildlife for fast action/BIF. I haven't read a review that contradicts him.
I've been using silent mode not to scare away the birds in my yard. Having given much time to BIF's on non-silent mode. Will have to give it a shot in the next day or two. Also will read Steve's tips on Z7ii and wildlife photography. Thanks for the reminder

Interesting plan. I would be interested in your reports and impressions as you update your gear during the transition.

I'm still on the fence and have a similar lens line-up. My biggest current gripe is the bulky wonderpana setup for filters on the 14-24mm lens. I love that lens but dislike the filter system. Curious to see how you get on with the new lenses.

Interesting plan. I would be interested in your reports and impressions as you update your gear during the transition.

I'm still on the fence and have a similar lens line-up. My biggest current gripe is the bulky wonderpana setup for filters on the 14-24mm lens. I love that lens but dislike the filter system. Curious to see how you get on with the new lenses.
Often times, I leave the Wonderpana bracket on the lens and store it that way in my bag. I have trouble quickly switching out ND filters when the light is changing.

I plan to go with the square filters this time that slide into the bracket. Seems like it will be much easier to switch filters. More importantly, I can use the square filters with all of my lenses.

Glenn

Often times, I leave the Wonderpana bracket on the lens and store it that way in my bag. I have trouble quickly switching out ND filters when the light is changing.

I plan to go with the square filters this time that slide into the bracket. Seems like it will be much easier to switch filters. More importantly, I can use the square filters with all of my lenses.

Glenn

I have the adapter for the square filters and have a few graduated NDs for the system. They work fine. My personal issue with leaving the Wonderpana bracket on the lens is the way it sits in my backpack. The only way I can position the lens causes the bracket to jam into my back which gets quite annoying on long hikes. It's an imperfect solution for a wonderful lens.

Real Name
Dan
Sounds like what I've been contemplating. Basically Z for static subjects and stick with dslr for action for now. I have a feeling that when the long S glass comes out combined with the inherent accuracy of mirrorless AF the results will be amazing. Though not cheap...

It's nice to have a plan. It sounds like you to be this organized. Some would say you're getting a late start, but by starting now you have a much better idea of what is available and coming.

I've kind of backed into the Z camp, but I'm thoroughly committed now and very much like the new territory.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I have been thinking a lot about this for me, and I am leaning toward getting a used D5 for wildlife and indoor dance events, with my current glass, keeping my 500VR, 200 VR, and 70-200 VrII and getting a mirrorless with 14-24 and 24-70 plus a prime for everything else. Desperately need to upgrade my D3s and backup D3, but also need to update the cpu before getting any new body. (Including D5). In hold mode right now.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Glenn.

I've been using silent mode not to scare away the birds in my yard. Having given much time to BIF's on non-silent mode. Will have to give it a shot in the next day or two. Also will read Steve's tips on Z7ii and wildlife photography. Thanks for the reminder
fwiw, I follow Hudson Henry on Youtube. He has tips for setting up the U1, 2, 3 modes for specific use cases. One is silent mode. You might want to create a setting for your purpose.

@gnagel I picked up a Z6II yesterday at Ace Photo, local B&B in N.Va. It was the last non-kit one they had on hand. They were allocated two 7II's last week but sold those to customers who had a place in line. Good luck on your waiting. You should be pleased. I look forward to your future work.

setting up the U1, 2, 3 modes for specific use cases.

I used that kind of thinking when I set up my user modes for my D7000 and ended up never using them. When thinking about the user modes on my Z6, I used a different thought process that attends instead to more general uses, and I settled on the following three modes:
  1. U1 -- Combination of settings required when using a tripod in my makeshift studio
  2. U2 -- Combination of settings required when using a tripod elsewhere, especially outdoors
  3. U3 -- Combination of settings required when shooting handheld
Unlike when I never accessed the user modes on my D7000, I use them every time I'm shooting with the Z6. I believe the user modes are best used to complement how each person's brain operates, which will surely lead to a variety of different uses from person to person.

Latest threads

Top Bottom