1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My Model Kaylee

Discussion in 'People' started by wabryant, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Well she is always mine (my 10 year old), but she got her looks from her Mother. I was impressed with this shot and its straight out the camera. NOTHING done to it at all. What do you think?????

352001535_csYnL-XL.

Thumbs up or down tell me the truth

Wayne

2. Beautiful! Love the warm colors!

3. What a Cutie!

4. Thanks Sonya
    Wayne

5. Thanks Joey

Wayne

6. wonderful shot
    THUMBS UP from me

7. Wayne, you have asked for a critique so here goes. First on my list would be to make this into a vertical by cropping off the very distracting grass on the two sides. This alone would make a huge difference in your shot. Second it is too yellow which is most apparent in Kaylee's eyes and complexion. Lastly you need to "work" her a little bit to get some emotion into the face. The face painting is fun and so should her expression be.

Kaylee is a cute girl with lovely red hair and nice brown eyes. This image could be much better than it is. Your focus is good. IMO the image is neither a thumbs up or a thumbs down but somewhere in the middle.

I hope this critique has been helpful to you.

8. Thanks Greg

9. Thats what I'm looking for Gordon. I did think about a vertical crop but i kinda like the blown out grass behind her.The offset in the picture i thougt was enough to make it different. I do see the yellow side now that you said something.
    Thats why I put it on. I want to learn. Sometime when I look at a picture and I think it looks good, everyone else would change it in about the same way. i want to see it that away and be albe to do it

Thanks for the critique Gordon that what I'm looking for

Thanks Wayne

10. joepilot

joepilot

Mar 21, 2007
    Richmond Va.
    Ok Wayne . I agree with the vertical crop maybe adjust the WB just a little . Or just print a nice 8 X 10 and enjoy the great capture you got .

11. Looks excellent for straight out of the camera.

12. definitely a vertical crop and a small bit f PP and this is a winner.

13. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    SOOC? Photos like that makes me want to quit RAW altogether.... I love this.

14. Thanks Joe

15. Thanks also Phil, Dave and Linda

16. Wayne, I love the composition because the face painting goes so well with the background. If it were my image, I would try to make the background less distracting and leave the composition as is. And that's coming from a guy who loves tight crops!

To make the background less distracting, use your NX's noise reduction, not to ged rit of noise but to smooth the bokeh out a bit maybe more naturally than Gaussian blur will do. If that doesn't work, try Gaussian blur by itself or in combination with noise reduction. (Whatever you do, don't apply it to your daughter, though don't worry about the wisps of hair that will be tough to isolate in NX.) You could also try reducing the brightness and saturation of the background using Color Control Points.

17. Thanks Mike I'm not that great with NX I mainly use CS3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.