My mom shot a tresspasser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BourbonCowboy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. My mom found this lil fella in the driveway a couple days ago. Fortunately, she grabbed her trusty D70 and shot him. She's not really adept with her camera as of yet, so she had the flash on, which really made him mad. But the shots were good enough to give you a general idea what a bat looks like - up close and personal. Creepy, huh?

bat5.

bat7.

2. Wow, pretty cool. Might want to get a woodenstake and some garlic

3. I'd do just that, but I got rid of mine when I got a divorce.

4. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    bat

Nice set of teeth on that bat, what do they use the teeth for?

5. They chew up their prey with them. Godd job they are only very small.:eek::eek::eek:

Unfortunately I cannot identify it for you.

Bob F.

6. yikes! cool shots though

7. Nice set of choppers!

Anthony

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow what a shot...

shadow/highlights will bring out the cute (?) face

9. Being a mosquito eater, that is one set of teeth. Nice shots.

10. Aiii, I would not want this little guy in my face :eek:

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Great caution should be a lesson here. Bats aren't usually out in broad daylight, so that tells me this one may be sickly, possibly rabid. While it's great to get good photos, we must always be careful to consider the risks involved in doing so.
    Great photos.

12. I was thinking the same thing, bats should not be out during the day.
    Bats are great for controling insects, many people like to have them near their house or camp, but you never see them until night.

13. Nice shot but as the above posters have said, be careful. If a bat is out during the day there is something wrong. I think the flash might have overblown the highlights but got him to open his mouth and give the shot some action tho.

14. http://www.scsc.k12.ar.us/KelleyJ/top.htm

Take your time and look through the above for ID.

They eat a lot larger and crunchier prey than that!

Bob F.

15. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    I would have shot it, but it certainly wouldn't have been with a D70. Just looking at this thing gives me the willies.

16. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    I hope you find a way to save that bat. I wish I have a few in my area.

17. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    What a fantastic creature! Unfortunately in the UK our bat population is in decline:frown:

18. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    save the bat, are you kidding me? Get the heck away from that thing and call animal control. I just read something that said that very thing, that if you see a bat in daylight, good chance it is rabid or sick in the least and unpredictable. So, I must assume bats get rabies by eating mosquitos that have bitten rabid animals, right? I'd always heard that their teeth are so small, you can get bit by one and hardly know it. If that's the case, this is one heckofa close up. Rats with wings and big ears if you ask me, yuck.

19. Bats are cuddly
    Bats are fun
    Take their picture
    And give them a bun!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

They are one of the worlds greatest eaters of nasy biting insects. Without them,, and wasps for that matter, our lives would be much more miserable than they are.

They are heavily protected by very stringent laws in the UK. In fact a lot of building projects have to be halted or radically redesigned because it endangers a bat population. We have a bat roost close to our garden, and I love to see them flying about in the dusk.

Very true.

Bob F.