My Mystery Plant Bloomed!!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Good Morning All,

Over two months ago I helped my son set up a Science Fair experiment, germinating seeds without soil. Unfortunately, I forgot to label the seedlings. Anyway, serveral seeds were grown on wet paper towels, then I transplanted them to my garden. This close-up was taken about 5 days ago. All five plants have large buds ready to open. Sorry about the view, I have 27 flower pots on my deck and it was hard to get to the plant!! :tongue:

D2HS + 105VR

large.

Yesterday, my first mystery plant finally bloomed!! I think it is a sunflower!! Actually, it has to be, it's already 40 inches tall and still growing!! :biggrin:

D2X + 28-70

View attachment 105938

2. very very nice Crystal!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice
    Zinnia???

They are nice flowers

4. From the first shot, based on that HUGE flat bud, I was going to guess sunflower. Now, seeing the flower in #2, I agree, sunflower (and they will germinate/grow anywhere!!). :smile:

5. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Nice surprise for you and great shots. Love how you captured the light. Thanks for sharing

6. Oooh, that's good, I have them grouped with a 44 quart pot of coneflowers and miniature dahlias. Thanks for the feedback, more images to follow.

Thank you Jorge. The lighting on my deck is fantastic, especially near sundown. I currently have 27 pots of nectar and host plants for butterflies, humming birds and gold finches. The bees are having a party too!!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have never seen one that color

8. Nice shots Crystal. I was wondering when you were going to start posting flower pictures!

9. Oh my gosh! Red sun flowers. I didn't know they come in red. Thanks for sharing.

10. Very pretty color Crystall. You should shoot your entire deck and share with us. I would love to see it. Thanks for posting your images.

11. Hi Gale,

Yes, red sun flowers. The seeds were included as a bonus package in a box of bulbs. I gave the bulbs away and kept the seeds. Then I forgot what I planted!! Yikes!!

Hi Rich,

Yes, it's that time of year again and I have plenty to post. I try to photograph the flowers before and after work. I have a red passion vine that has about three or four blooms per day. Unfortunately, they blooms are closed and faded by the time I get home.

Thank you. I am hoping I can harvest a few seeds (if the birds don't eat them all...:biggrin:) this Fall and plant them again next summer.

I am definitely going to do a wide angle shot of my deck from my second floor window. I try to do that this weekend. Thank you so much for the positive feedback.