My nephew is the centre of the universe!

Discussion in 'People' started by avyoung, Sep 18, 2008.

1. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    My 5 year old nephew, Trevor, is the centre of my brother and his wife's life. Being their only child, they appropriately call him "Treasure". I wanted to capture the essence of this theme in an image.

It was an impromtu setup at my parents place...what do you think? Any PP suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

2866628977_7eaf4435fa_b.jpg
    45mm; F8.0; 1/125s; Iso 200, SB800 shoot thru white umbrella camera left high; SB800 backlight right snooted.

2. The lighting is good but the strobe was very high, as witnessed by the butteryfly shadow under the boy's nose. As a result, none of the light reached his eyes. You might try implanting artificial catchlights to give them some life.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  3. Great picture and great theme. I would like to have seen more of an equal balance of the parents. If you shoot this again, have his mother move in as close as the father, and have his hands lower, or possibly out of the shot. Is that a LEGO watch?

4. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    nice theme, and I agree with above. Although I have to say, the center of the universe is a very crowded place! I have four kids and a wife there!

5. Very cute, although I agree about the lighting. He needs some light in his eyes to make this a perfect shot.

6. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks for the suggestions Frank. I put the shoot through umbrella very close to reduce spill onto background, but ended up coming from too high an angle. Trevor ended up being way lower than I imagined before shooting, adding to the problem.
    I used a white paint brush in photoshop...is there a better way?
    2867669469_41359af2d5_b.jpg

I don't usually ask people to pose, so I am neither good at it, nor was my family used to my requests on this occasion. My sister-in-law was worried that she did not look nice, my brother just didn't want to take part, my nephew wanted to play Nintendo DS with one of my sons! Anyhow, I took a few shots over about a 40 second period and the session was over!!! I have lots to learn about hand positions, angles of poses...etc. I appreciate the suggestions. And yes it is a LEGO watch. Trevor is an amazing Lego-ologist! He can put together some complex models!

LOL, Tim. Some people have large and some have small universes!!! Four, eh! Tell me you secret of survival...I only have three!

Yes, I would ideally chimped and repositioned and reshot, but my subjects left! That's the problem being the little brother and mild mannered. No one listens to you! Sigh! Woes me!:tongue:

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I think the photo and idea is wonderful. My first thought was that he needed some catchlights in his eyes to make them sparkle. It's amazing what those two little while dots did for the photo. I bet they will love the photo.