my new 50 1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DrewC, Jun 21, 2007.

1. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    it just showed up! i cant wait to use it... i got it for a very fair trade from craigslist, and am VERY happy with the looks of it... too bad my digital body is in for a cleaning until tomorrow, but trying it out on the n6006 it seems to work wonderfully, and it looks pristine. i cant wait to start posting some pictures from it. wish me luck!

2. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    This is a great lens but I'd rather have 50/1.8. It's just as good for 1/3 of the price. As a matter of fact, Dpreview uses 50/1.8 to test the Nikon cameras because they found it sharper than 50/1.4. Anyway, it's a great lens and you'll like it. Happy shooting!

3. I just got mine today as well. I've just taken a few test shots, but it seems tack sharp. Hopefully we both got gems. Good luck with your shooting!

4. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    from everything I've read the 1.4 is king untill about F2.8-4 from there on up they are about the same. with some giving the edge to the 1.8 in the smaller apertures. but who reaches for the 50mm when they need F16?

5. I plan on using mine for shooting basketball while sitting under the goal. Hopefully this will work, as most of my shots there are close to this focal length.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

here's the very first capture from my 1.4

@f1.4
    287402725_3f006b5485_o.

it's justa tad bit sharp
    ,,,the 1.8 being sharper myth doesn't hold water!
    and where else can u find new glass this FAST for less? with that said i like the 1.8 as well. just like my 1.4 better.
    more @f1.4 samples on my flickr.............
    ;-))

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

@f1.4, 1600iso from under the basket
    339118272_848e727f1c_o.

8. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    nuteshack, you were right. those pics would have prove your point. I have no complaints about 1.4. I just quoted what Phil said in dpreview.com when he reviewed the Nikon cameras.

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Quite honestly, the little bit of difference between the two lenses in the reviews could easily be attributed to sample variation.

They both work wonderfully with slightly different rendition.

I've owned a few copies of both and I remain unconvinced that one version is significantly 'better' than the other!

10. True. I've owned two 50 1.8 AF lenses (one D version), one 50 1.8 AiS (E-series), one 50 1.4 AiS, and now this 50 1.4 AF. The sharpest I've had was the 50 1.4 AiS - closely followed by the E-series lens. I haven't really tested my new lens, but if it comes close to either AiS lens, I'm gonna be one happy camper.

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

amen nykonian ,,,good point Holmes, sample variation plays a huge role in these "valuations"..

12. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Lovely lens and one the best.

Regards.

13. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Mark,

Congratulations. Keep them pics coming.

Regards.

14. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Nuteshack,

Those are great images. The second one under difficult lighting!!

Regards

15. Will do. Your shots were the inspiration for the purchase.

16. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Mark,

I am flattered, and very grateful for your kind words. For me, at least, the
    50/1.4 is a very satisfying lens.

[​IMG]

Take care.

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Tas ...speaking of difficult lighting, here's one shot in the dark.
    330562081_7ca67403e5_o.

love this glass
    :smile:

18. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Nuteshack,

very neat, Nuteshack.

Regards.