My new camera - Olympus E-M1 Mark II

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Why would you need C-AF for still images?
I think they mean when taking normal photos, not video. They don't mean taking photos of a scene where nothing moves.
This improvement, if significant, will be welcomed by wildlife and sports photographers.
It is unlikely that it will manage to be as good at CAF as the Nikon D500 which seems to be the camera against which all others are measured.

I think they mean when taking normal photos, not video. They don't mean taking photos of a scene where nothing moves.
This improvement, if significant, will be welcomed by wildlife and sports photographers.
It is unlikely that it will manage to be as good at CAF as the Nikon D500 which seems to be the camera against which all others are measured.
Ah. I was thinking by 'still' they meant static. I wasn't thinking 'as opposed to video'.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I just upgraded my E-M1 II firmware to version 2.0.
If you do this, be sure to update the camera updater software first. It should be on version 2.1.
The settings were all saved and restored automatically. (You can update the camera updater by running Olympus Viewer 3 and going to Update on the menu, and choose Software update.)

This is the first major firmware update for this camera. The important changes for me are:
1. The small focus point, just like the original E-M1 had. This helps for birds among foliage, where the larger focus point too easily focuses the background.
2. Improved C-AF. I tried a quick test and it seemed amazingly fast. This will be exciting for wildlife and sports (and for dogs that run around fast!)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Here are a couple of photos from my recent trip to the south of Spain.

First a photo of two birds in flight. This is a Griffon Vulture on its migration north from Africa being attacked by an Audouin's Gull. I was pleased to get both in focus.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was a tricky one, a landscape seen through a grill on a rampart. Even with a small aperture it was impossible to get both the grill and the landscape sharp. So I set the camera to f/5.6 for optimum quality, and let the Focus Stacking feature in the camera automatically take 8 photos (handheld) and give me one result.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have recently bought an extra camera, the little Olympus Pen-F. There are two reasons. The first is that my wife is now using my original E-M1, and I wanted to make sure we had a spare body for the trip in case one of us had a problem. The second is that it is useful to have an even smaller lighter camera for everyday use. I bought a Panasonic 12-32 lens for it, this is a tiny inexpensive lens which is very good quality. Of course it can also use my existing lenses.

While the Pen-F lacks the more advanced features of the E-M1 II, it has a 20MP sensor and it is capable of excellent results. It is also a very attractive little camera. I may show you some results with it in the future.

I just bought a Pen F for my wife, and will be looking forward to seeing your images, Richard.

Real Name
Ian
I really do love my E-M1 II. So many great features packed inside a tiny body (I honestly chuckle when people say the E-M1 is a “big” camera).

The only thing that disappointed me about it was it’s C-AF performance, which drove me to pick up a D500. Now with FW 2.0 out, I need to do some in-depth testing to decide if the C-AF ability is good enough for me to switch back to the E-M1 II as my sole camera system, or if it’s still lagging behind the D500 enough to warrant me keeping two systems around.

Real Name
David
I really do love my E-M1 II. So many great features packed inside a tiny body (I honestly chuckle when people say the E-M1 is a “big” camera).

The only thing that disappointed me about it was it’s C-AF performance, which drove me to pick up a D500. Now with FW 2.0 out, I need to do some in-depth testing to decide if the C-AF ability is good enough for me to switch back to the E-M1 II as my sole camera system, or if it’s still lagging behind the D500 enough to warrant me keeping two systems around.
I plan on keeping a least my D750 and some combination of 24-200 (f/2.8 or f/4) and selling off the rest of my Nikon gear. C-AF is important to me but it's more the friends and family events or portraits. I keep hearing FW 2.0 has made some nice improvements.

I too opted for the D500 as my primary BIF tool. I'm on the fence about the E-M1 II. I'll be interested to hear how it works for you.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

I will be interested to hear the results. Since the new firmware I am finding C-AF to be good for what I need. The photo of the birds above was using C-AF with no problems at all. I have it set so C-AF sensitivity is as responsive as possible (+2). This seems to me to make it behave just like I remember Nikon's AFC works - immediate response.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Came across this thing in my garden, the body is just 3mm long. So time to take some photos through my microscope and do some focus stacking.

A Google search showed me it is a Deer Tick. We get three species of deer in the garden, so it isn't surprising.

Came across this thing in my garden, the body is just 3mm long. So time to take some photos through my microscope and do some focus stacking.

View attachment 1602364

View attachment 1602365

A Google search showed me it is a Deer Tick. We get three species of deer in the garden, so it isn't surprising.
Do you folks have problems with Lyme disease? We do, here in the upper midwest US and that there critter is the vector.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom