Real Name
Klaus
One got me two years ago :mad::mad::mad:
Six weeks on antibiotics after that.

I hope you tagged it and released it to the wild... :cool::):D

Regards
Klaus

Some wonderful images in this thread?

I’ve been considering getting an Olympus body with the 60mm macro for fungi, and native orchid photos. How is the metering on the Olympus compared to Nikon’s, and how natural do you find the colours?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Some wonderful images in this thread?

I’ve been considering getting an Olympus body with the 60mm macro for fungi, and native orchid photos. How is the metering on the Olympus compared to Nikon’s, and how natural do you find the colours?
The 60mm macro is an excellent choice. It is a good 1:1 macro lens, flat field and very sharp. I have done quite a lot of good photos with it taking macro photos into rock pools, which is tricky with reflections and trying not to dip the end in the water. I have also used it for copying work.

Metering works well, I stick to the default matrix type almost all the time, sometimes doing exposure compensation if needed. Centre weighted and spot are also available. They all work the same as with Nikon in my experience.

The default (Natural setting) colours in JPGs are very good, just as were the ones I got from my Nikon. Some people just can't resist setting it to Vivid or similar, giving horrid over saturated results. So that is the same as with Nikon as well!

You can also use it with hand-held focus stacking, perfect for use with orchids (depending on which body you get.) Or focus bracketing with any of the cameras.

Here is an example of a photo taken with it very close up. This is the foot of a small gecko, seen from the other side of the glass surface he was walking on.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thank you for the detailed response?
I only shoot RAW, and use both matrix and spot metering depending on the light.
I always take RAW+JPG (as I did with Nikon). The JPG output is usually perfectly good and there is no problem doing a little final editing on it. The RAW is valuable for the difficult cases, such as blown highlights or bad colour balance (I use the RAW in less than 1 in 100 of my photos). Results of processing the RAW images are good using the free - but very slow - Olympus Viewer 3, or using ACR in Photoshop, or Lightroom.

I should have mentioned that the 60mm is also good for portraits.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
A challenge for me today. BIF (Birds in Flight) gets too easy, so I thought let's try DIF (Dragonflies in Flight), as they are busy at my pond. To get them at a good size I needed to use 300mm, and it is hard to even find them as they dart about. I got some lovely stationary ones, but here is what I managed with them flying.

1/2000, 75-300 lens at 300mm, ProCapture H for the male; Continuous Low and CAF for the female.

Broad-bodied chaser dragonflies. First the male taking off, then the female about to deposit some eggs.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
A challenge for me today. BIF (Birds in Flight) gets too easy, so I thought let's try DIF (Dragonflies in Flight), as they are busy at my pond. To get them at a good size I needed to use 300mm, and it is hard to even find them as they dart about. I got some lovely stationary ones, but here is what I managed with them flying.

1/2000, 75-300 lens at 300mm, ProCapture H for the male; Continuous Low and CAF for the female.

Broad-bodied chaser dragonflies. First the male taking off, then the female about to deposit some eggs.

View attachment 1602825

View attachment 1602826
Wow Richard!
These dragon are very common here too.
Two or three years ago, I was able to shoot a pair when they formed the wheel. Never seen it again...

Regards
Klaus

We have not long arrived home from our holiday to the U.K. and Ireland. Had a wonderful time, I took way too many images. :)

So yesterday I ordered an em-1 mkii body, 60mm lens and spare battery. Hopefully I’ll have it for the weekend.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Some photos from my recent trip to the Netherlands.

This gave me the feeling of space:

LGBT crosswalk

Tower

Bag dispenser

Self portrait

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
All of these shots are superb, especially like the first two, wall hangers.
Thank you. Here are a few more.

Wet sand

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Richard, these photos of your recent trip to the Netherlands are all very moving. I am truly impressed with the lot of them. Beautiful. I know this may sound silly, but even the bag dispenser is somehow evocative. I don't know why - it just is.

On a technical note, I have a question about the photo of the tower. You're at 9mm on that one. What, if anything, did you do to correct any geometric distortion in that photo? It looks amazing.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Richard, these photos of your recent trip to the Netherlands are all very moving. I am truly impressed with the lot of them. Beautiful. I know this may sound silly, but even the bag dispenser is somehow evocative. I don't know why - it just is.

On a technical note, I have a question about the photo of the tower. You're at 9mm on that one. What, if anything, did you do to correct any geometric distortion in that photo? It looks amazing.
Miksang training is hard work. For example imagine being sent out for two hours to get flashes of perception - that become photos - that capture the "sidewalkness of sidewalks", or the "sandness of sand". One time we were each given our own tree and an hour to focus on it and photograph it.

The tower was taken with the tiny Olympus 9-18mm lens. That is equivalent field of view to 18-36mm in 35mm terms. It is a rectilinear lens, and the M43 consortium standards include mandatory automatic correction for any residual barrel distortion and any vignetting. (This works because firmware in each lens knows the details of its distortion and its vignetting, this data is included in the raw file and is used by the camera when making a jpg, or by Photoshop or Lightroom etc. when processing the raw file. This isn't optional in Photoshop etc, it happens without the user knowing.) So straight lines always remain perfectly straight, there is no geometric distortion.

I didn't take my 7-14mm lens on the trip, or I could have got an even wider view. Actually Miksang doesn't allow the use of very wide angle lenses, so this isn't proper Miksang.

The tower was built shortly after WW2 (to replace one that was blown up in 1943) and is now derelict. It was even occupied by squatters until they were removed. It is a shame one can't go up it, as it would provide amazing views.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
These beautiful Mandarin ducks have come to live for a while on my little pond. They fly off at the slightest sound so I took these from an upper window, with the 75-300 lens set to 300mm. 1/1000, silent shutter.

These beautiful Mandarin ducks have come to live for a while on my little pond. They fly off at the slightest sound so I took these from an upper window, with the 75-300 lens set to 300mm. 1/1000, silent shutter.

Mandarins are very skittish. When we lived in Georgetown, Texas there were lots of waterfowl on the San Gabriel river which ran through a large park north of town. I got some good pictures of all of them (with my old EM5 and the Oly 45mm) but nothing usable of the three Mandarins that were occasional visitors. Really good capture of difficult subjects.

Lucky you!! I only got a pair of mallards in my pond!! And they only stayed a short while.

• ƒ/7.1
  • 400.0 mm
  • 1/800

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Major update!

This three year old camera has just received a free update to its firmware, version 3. It brings a huge list of improvements, many of them significant. If you have this camera, you will want this.

Install Olympus Workplace (free), then update it to v1.1 using the Help/Upgrade software option. Then upgrade the camera using the Workplace program.

Better faster C-AF, better AF when using video, you can review photos before the buffer has cleared, better high ISO, handheld focus stacking with 15 photos and much more.

It is like buying a new improved camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom