My new camera - Olympus OM-D E-M1

So after cruising through the thread, where are we on the kit people have put together? I've seen the 7-14 for the wide end and 75-300 for the ultra zoom. Is there anything in the middle beyond the 12-40? I feel like I don't need the speed on the wide end if I'm doing landscapes.
Just to offer the minority and alternative point of view to offset the very one sided offerings of the m4/3 system presented here: The Panasonic side of the micro 4/3 world offers competitive and very competent solutions. In the lens department, the 12-35/2.8 and the 35-100/2.8 are optically equal to the Oly zooms, and both are smaller and lighter than the Oly versions. There are always trade offs, closer focus on the Oly 12-40, longer reach for the 40-150 at the expense of a considerably larger lens. In the prime department, the PL 25/1.4 has been around for a number of years and is an excellent lens with a wonderful OOF rendering. The PL 42.5mm f/1.2 is second to none in sharpness and rendering, the 100-300 is slightly faster in aperture than the Oly version. The PL 100-400 is unequaled for a zoom in the Oly lineup. If you are looking at the 16MP bodies, the GX85 is the first to have removed the filter in front of the sensor and rivals the 20MP sensors for sharpness. Many of the lenses now work with the dual stabilization that Pany offers, as well as the DFD focusing which is unbelievably fast. That model also offers a 5-axis IBIS -some have said that the Oly system is better for stills, and the Pany better for video.... I wouldn't agree with that.

Anyway, just wanted to balance out some of the information you have been reading. It's all good stuff!

Thanks. I was looking at the Pany lenses just because I'm trying to balance cost and performance. Not a pro, so I feel like spending pro money may not make sense. I'll check out the Pany bodies as well.

Thanks. I was looking at the Pany lenses just because I'm trying to balance cost and performance. Not a pro, so I feel like spending pro money may not make sense. I'll check out the Pany bodies as well.
You'll not go wrong whatever you decide - only wanted to make sure you knew that Olympus wasn't the only player in the market, both Oly and Pany make some excellent equipment. Price isn't cheap on either side for the best.. $1500 for the 42.5 f/1.2, $1700 for the 100-400!!!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Although the lenses all work across both Panasonic and Olympus bodies, you should be aware there are several advanced features now where you gain from having the same maker of body as lens.

For example a few advanced lenses in both systems can provide advanced stabilisation that works in tandem with the body, but only one from the same company.

Another example is new top end Olympus camera which does ProCapture but only with Olympus lenses. ProCapture is where it takes 14 images before you press the shutter all the way down, perfect for sports, birds taking off etc.

It sounds like you want to start with a non-pro system. The little E-M10 II would be perfect for this, with the kit lens.

(The reason this thread is about Olympus is simply that I started it when I bought an Olympus camera. At the time only Olympus had stabilisation in the camera. Panasonic was better at video. Now both have caught up and are neck and neck. Healthy competition. You will be happy with either.)

Richard,

Ah, that is good to know about the body and lens working in tandem for image stabilization. Again my primary goal is to have the ability to document kids and life and vacations with a bit more artistic control than a typical iPhone or P&S, but not have my equipment be so cumbersome that I leave it behind. To me, this means a walk around lens, a wide angle, and a faster zoom to catch indoor sports and activities. However, I don't want to have buyer's remorse either by cheaping out! This has been a very informative thread; I just need to make a decision! :)

I don't see a major difference between the E-M1 and the E-M10 II. Is it worth going E-M1 used, or does the new tech from the E-M10 II make it more desirable?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The E-M10 II is smaller, that is its main attraction, but the E-M1 is still pretty small.

The E-M1 is a marvellous camera and their top of the range offering until the recent Mark II version came out. I strongly recommend it - you have seen my results above. If you want the E-M1 I was thinking you could get a new one at a cheap price at the moment, that would be good (the price has dropped greatly). I personally wouldn't go for used, you have no idea what may have been done to it.

When you have decided the camera and have some ideas exactly which lenses you are thinking of, let us know so we can comment.

Real Name
David
I've used both Oly and Pan bodies, I think maybe 10 or 11? Pretty equal split. Currently I have the Pan GX85 because I like a tilt screen over articulating, like the rangefinder style, and didn't want to spend the $$ on the Pen F. All are just a little different, think about what features you want carefully. Or do what I did and try/buy/sell several until you you find the features you want. :oops: At least most are pretty cheap compared to Nikon stuff.

As others have mentioned both Olympus and Panasonic have a nice lineup of f/2.8 zooms, 7-100/150mm (the Panasonic 7-14 is actually an f/4). Panasonic has also announced and released the first lens in a series of f/2.8-4.0 zooms from 8-200mm (8-18mm / 12-60mm / 50-200) with overlap like the Nikon f/4 trio. I'm looking forward to the 50-200. Trio will support Dual lens/bodies OIS and will be weather sealed.

....Another example is new top end Olympus camera which does ProCapture but only with Olympus lenses. ProCapture is where it takes 14 images before you press the shutter all the way down, perfect for sports, birds taking off etc.....

Last edited:
Real Name
David
I don't see a major difference between the E-M1 and the E-M10 II. Is it worth going E-M1 used, or does the new tech from the E-M10 II make it more desirable?
The E-M10 (mkI and mkII) have the advantage of smaller size, I can't think any tech features they have over the E-M1 mkI. Attach a small prime or one of the pancake zooms and you have a jacket pocketable camera. Add the really slick add-on grip and you have a body with a grip comfortable for use with bigger telephotos. I actually went from the Oly E-P5 and E-M1 combo to the E-M10 mkI a few years ago alone my long and winding road.

Real Name
David

448%20PAIGNTON%20Zoo.%20Southern%20Cassowary.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
OK you pointed me here to see samples. I looked at this and what came to mind? The Velociraptors Jurassic Park.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
After buying an E-M1 II my old E-M1 was first used as a backup, and is now used by my wife. Unfortunately it suddenly died, turning itself off after a few seconds each time it was turned on.

I give full credit to Olympus service in Europe and the UK. I sent it off to their UK address, and they sent it on at once to their repair centre in Portugal. I soon had a quote for the repair, the IS device that positions the sensor was broken. (It is possible that this was my fault, I may have dropped it.) I paid them £304 pounds and a few days leter it arrived back, working perfectly again.

We are soon going on a trip where we will both be using the cameras independently, and they must work, so we need a backup. I bought a new cheap (grey import) Pen F and I suspect that my wife may adopt this as hers, leaving the E-M1 as the backup.

Hmmm, I may get a refurbished Pen F for my wife. She has not said anything, but I have noticed that she does not pick up the D700/24-120 f4 vr as often. The 12-40 f2.8 I already have would suit her nicely.

Latest threads

Top Bottom