My new computer won't play DVDs

About two weeks ago I purchased a Toshiba Portege R705 13.3" laptop, which was rated the top machine in that size by both CNet and PCMag. I tried playing a movie DVD last night. It started o.k. but just before the movie started it stopped with the message: "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

I tried installing an updated driver, but got the report: "The best driver software for your device is already installed".

The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I tried playing the DVD on my two-year-old Dell Studio and it works fine. It is running Windows 7 Enterprise.

I have Googled this problem and gotten nothing useful.

Any ideas here?

This might be a long shot but it what kind of video card is it? Im wondering if its some sort of DRM / Copyright protection check in on the disc that doesnt like your video processor. Also how old is the disc?

Have checked for Windows Media player updates? How did you download the latest driver? Did you do it manully or let windows do it for you? I find that the "Update Driver" option when looking at the properties doesnt work real well.

I just had a live chat with the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy from whom I bought the computer. Here is the session transcript:

Welcome to Geek Squad Remote Support, we will be with you shortly. Note that this session may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance purposes only.
Agent Vu P. [07:42 PM] :
Thank you for contacting the Geek Squad, this is Agent Vu P.. How can I help you today?
Jim [07:42 PM] :
My new Toshiba Portege R705 won't play a DVD
Agent Vu P. [07:44 PM] :
exchange it for a new one
Jim [07:45 PM] :
Are you serious? I have already installed quite a bit of software
Agent Vu P. [07:45 PM] :
it wont play dvd, it a hardware issue
Jim [07:46 PM] :
The error message is" Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."
Agent Vu P. [07:47 PM] :
contact the dvd software vendor to update your decoder devcie
Agent Vu P. [07:47 PM] :
contact toshiba
Jim [07:47 PM] :
Sorry, this is not at all helpful. I bought this new laptop at Best Buy less than two weeks ago.
Agent Vu P. [07:48 PM] :
it a software decoder license that will require the update from time to time..
if the firmware update for the dvdrom
even on stand alone home theaater dvd has the same update.. that is required
Jim [07:49 PM] :
So where do I start?
Agent Vu P. [07:49 PM] :
contact toshiba.
Jim [07:49 PM] :
Thanks. That is all.
Agent Vu P. [07:50 PM] :
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp?nav=Product Support

The Toshiba web site at that link has nothing related to this problem.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Gotta Love geek squad! NOT!

It could be a hardware issue still. Have you tried other dvd's and they do the same? Faulty DVD drive then, the firmware in it isnt passing the drm information over..

Do a full windows recovery back up on the system now, then you can reinstall that backup on the replacement no real lose of time there.

Have them open the new one and verify that it plays dvds and that is was a fluke with the current one. THEN never use geeksquad again!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
First please can we revisit the Region question.
1. I assume this is a Region 1 DVD?
2. If you go into the properties of the DVD device in Computer Management/Device Manager, there is a tab called DVD Region. In that tab, is it set to Region 1?

Second, please confirm what sort of DVD you are trying to play. Is this a commercial DVD you bought? Or is it a DVD-R or whatever that you recorded yourself? Are you sure it isn't a BluRay?

Third. Try other DVDs, including normal commercial ones. Do any of them play? Do you have any Region 0 DVDs - these are ones without a region, that will play anywhere.

Thanks for responding, all.

First please can we revisit the Region question.
1. I assume this is a Region 1 DVD?

Presumably. It says manufactured in New York City.

2. If you go into the properties of the DVD device in Computer Management/Device Manager, there is a tab called DVD Region. In that tab, is it set to Region 1?

Yes, it is set to Region 1.

Second, please confirm what sort of DVD you are trying to play. Is this a commercial DVD you bought? Or is it a DVD-R or whatever that you recorded yourself? Are you sure it isn't a BluRay?

Third. Try other DVDs, including normal commercial ones. Do any of them play? Do you have any Region 0 DVDs - these are ones without a region, that will play anywhere.

No it is not a Blu-ray.

I have tried several commercial DVDs, and all give this same message.
There is a link to "web help". It leads to this microsoft page:

Windows Media Player error

You've encountered an error message while using Windows Media Player. Additional information is not currently available for this error.

A common reason why files don't play is that you might have the wrong codec on your computer. For more information about codecs, see Codecs: frequently asked questions.

Change your software. I find WMP too temperamental for my liking. I use VLC Player and have never had it spit out a DVD, even a burned one. It doesn't hurt to install it, it's free and I'm guessing it's going to solve your problem. I've encountered that error message on quite a few machines I've set up for friends so I just immediately install VLC now. VLC can be adjusted in audio and video to your liking.

That service transcript should be printed and framed - it's priceless!

Well this is curious. At Sandi's suggestion (thanks Sandi), I downloaded and installed VLC player and tried a DVD again. Now it plays perfectly with both the Toshiba DVD player and Windows Media Player, but with VNC the picture is scrambled and not viewable.

I'm guessing that by installing VLC, a codec was installed that solves the problem with the default DVD players. But why the problem with VLC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you have it sorted.

No I don't. Now it won't play again. Same problem I reported earlier.

When I wrote the previous entry, I was sitting in an auto-repair shop waiting for an oil change. I had four DVDs with me. After installing VLC, they all played perfectly with both Toshiba and WMP players until I stopped them. I'm back home now, and the old problem has reappeared.

The responses of each DVD player software is different. The Toshiba player gives me sound, but a black screen. VLC and WMP both crash, but only WMP provides a message.

:frown:

Is there a gremlin in my house?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made a discovery.

This computer is equipped with the Intel Wireless Display technology called "Push2TV". I purchased a Netgear wireless receiver that connects to my HDTV with an HDMI connection. My previous attempts to play a DVD here at home was when I had that connected so I could project the computer screen onto the TV.

If I defeat that wireless connection, the DVDs will play with the Toshiba player, but not with it connected.

I've made a discovery.

This computer is equipped with the Intel Wireless Display technology called "Push2TV". I purchased a Netgear wireless receiver that connects to my HDTV with an HDMI connection. My previous attempts to play a DVD here at home was when I had that connected so I could project the computer screen onto the TV.

If I defeat that wireless connection, the DVDs will play with the Toshiba player, but not with it connected.

It has to do with HDMI copy protection, see the results I've found doing
a google (see link below...) There may be a work-around found in those
results...

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...l=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&fp=ee7ae51cefa9981c

Iscariot was hinting at that in a previous post...

Silly question: Your trying to display the DVD on the laptop right? Not through the HDMI cables to a TV?

It has to do with HDMI copy protection, see the results I've found doing
a google (see link below...) There may be a work-around found in those
results...

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...l=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&fp=ee7ae51cefa9981c

Iscariot was hinting at that in a previous post...

Thanks, Wizard. The comments in that link refer to a cable box and a DVR which is not my situation, but I tried their hint and replaced the HDMI connect from the NetGear receiver with component cables and it made no difference.

I've got the DVD playing nicely now, but as soon as I connect the Intel Wireless Display adapter to the NetGear receiver, the screen goes black. Audio continues, but video is out.

I'm going to contact Toshiba about it.

I think you'll find its the same issue. The graphics card is certified to transmit protected data via the HDMI port / cable to your TV. The Wirelss Display adapter probably isnt.

You might try contacting Intel direct and seeing if they can help if Toshiba cant / wont.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom