My New D2H.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Mar 17, 2005.

1. You lot are in deep doo doo. Nobody, yes nobody told me or the local wildlife that the D2H had a shutter that sounded like a demented GATLING GUN on speed.
    Good Grief somebody could have warned me. My Persian Cat has given birth, and she was neutered in 1992, the Rookery in the garden has been deserted, and four cows about a mile away are still lying down thinking that they have been shot; and that is with ONLY ONE SHUTTER RELEASE What on earth is going to happen when I go on to motor drive.
    I thought you were my friends!!

BW. A still shaking Bob F.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    LOLOLOLOLOL Bob. It is a monster!!

I love mine.... 8)

Are you enjoying yourself yet??

Frank

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Just pop in a couple of earplugs and go to town.
    Then again, maybe I can sue Nikon since I have to
    go see about a hearing aid Monday, and I'm only
    35!!!

4. Yes.

Man, it is one crazy machine gun!!

BW. Bob F.

5. That was very, very funnily written. Your humour is great, hell, I'd employ you as a writer anyday!! Best laugh I've had in a while. Please continue to write in that style!!

6. My humour.

Hi Bendheim. I am afraid that is very typical of my writing. I have a inane turn of phrase which I use to great effect both in writing and in lecturing. The problem is that I can see very clear parallels between the behaviour of natural history subjects and mankind.
    I used to give two lectures. One called 'The Wonderful World of Nature' and 'The Good The Bad and the Ugly.' The first was an airy fairy version, aka David Attenbourgh, the latter was the same lecture with all the rude and naughty bits in. Everybody asked for the latter, especially the Young Wives Clubs, and Young Ladies Guilds. They were a riot and had very dirty minds, but oh what fun we had......
    I gave a big big lecture on the Island of Guernsey in 1982 and after 2.5 hours they all crawled out on their knees with tears running down their cheeks. The local paper wrote a report which I still have today. They said that the Island had never heard anything like it. I learnt very early in my career as a lecturer that people learnt WHEN THEY LAUGH. Holds true today.
    BW. Bob F

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gee at the photoshoot in florida I never noticed the sound of the D2H. lolol

And boy there were a bunch firing away at the same time.

Happy shootin. Don't kill nothin.

lol

Gale

8. So I take it you like the brick?

9. Re: My humour.

I'd love the see that article. Any chance of posting it? You live in Cornwall; that's one of the few places in England the wife and I haven't visited. We plan to get there in a year or so.

Rich :lol:

10. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Re: My humour.

Aint that the truth. Best lecturer I ever had was also the funniest ******* I've ever met.

Neil

11. Humour and lecturing plus an English Word.

I will hunt out the article and if possible post it in precis form on the forum. Found so see 2 below.

Yes I love the brick!

My lungs were giving me some jip last night so after doing my exercises over a 2.5 hour period I read the white balance part of the manual. Obviously I understand the basics on WB but I am going to have to ask about this in respect of Digital Photography on the technical forum very soon. :? :? :? :?

Now, I originally dropped a brick in my initial post. I had no idea that a word I posted as an English expression for my cat had a totally different meaning in the USA. My 5 letter word came up as ***** and did Pam and I laugh. I had used this word in a previous post to Melissa and wondered why the WHOLE POST was pulled. In the UK we all call our cat a ***** all the time and so I thought nothing of it until the censor arrived. :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Ha well you live and learn. :D :D :D

Rich. If and when you come to England again you HAVE to come to Cornwall. I will post some pictures on the Scenery Section sometime soon so you can see how beautiful it is.
    BE. Bob F.

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Bob,

If I'm lonely and feel neglected I just pack up my D2H and go to the rookery...

When the folks there hear the 'shutter gun' they flock to me to see what the hell is going on.......

I make many new friends and get lots of attention but the birds fly away in fear of the pending attack.

My first question on the forum after getting my D2H was "how do I turn the sound machine off"-- no one told me in advance about it. They only tell the good things....

But, like a new baby, I've come to love it and I don't even hear the clicking anymore.. and the earplugs do help :!:

Gaye

13. For Rich. The article.

CREEPY CRAWLY CLOSE UPS

When the Island of Guernsey and one the UK's premier Photographic Clubs, (Spectrum), wanted a special lecturer for their 25th. anniversary they could not have dreamt that asking Bob Fredrick from Oxford Scientific Films to come to the island would do to their health and general demeanor. In 3 hours ands 200 slides, this man reduced the audience of 400 to heaps of helpless laughter and crying that the island has probably never before experienced.

There are a number of people who can take good pictures, but very few who can take about them in an entertaining way. Bob, an accountant who lists his hobbies as 'throwing boomerangs and kite flying' as well as natural history and photograph is a leading member of the famous Smethwick Photographic Club and he held the audience in awe of what he could do with his Leica camera.

Bob has always been keen on creepy crawlies since he was knee high to a grasshopper and this was obvious from his deep knowledge of the subjects. His lecturing style was a cross between Magnus Pike and David Bellamy, but the light-heartedness of Bob's chatter was balanced by the standard of his slides, which was quite simply breathtaking.

His very unique closeups using a technique that Leica said would not be possible were simply stunning. My favourite pictures were those of the scales on the butterfly's wings. To obtain these he sat in his bedroom for up to 7 hours in TOTAL DARKNESS with just a pencil beam of light to help focus his camera, and using a camel hair paint brush to tickle the antennae of the butterfly so as to encourage it to open its wings.

I am not sure if I should mention some of the naughty bits, but this is the first time I have ever seen a female member of the audience dragged up on stage by a lecturer, who then proceeded to put his fingers in her mouth to demonstrate how a male tarantula stops the female from eating him during copulation. The poor lady will obviously never ever be the same again, and this was before the interval! After this he proceeded to get the audience on their feet to dance the Tarantella and later on encouraged them to mimic a male preying mantis copulating with out its HEAD. This was without doubt one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Finally the lecture came to a close at 10.00pm and it took over an hour to clear the concert hall of an audience whose underwear was probably not fit to wear.

The following day Bob took a large number of the audience into the field and showed them how they too could get their lenses to show the parts that other optics cannot reach.

An unforgettable night.

By Richard Allisette.

14. Re: Humour and lecturing plus an English Word.

Bob,

That was some article! I'll bet the lecture was better :wink:

Yes, that's true about your affectionate name for cats here in the U.S. however I can recall that pink haired matron on "Are you being served" getting a lot of guffaws from the audience when she'd use it in a double entendre sense.

I am looking forward very much to visiting Cornwall, and Kent as well. We visited Glastonbury and Wells a few years ago, but that was it for "west." Now I know where all the old hippies moved to after the sixties! They really dig that Arthurian spirituality, don't they. Of course, isn't Tintagel castle in Cornwall?

Rich

15. Yes it is.

It is on ta beautiful stretch of the north coast and has the steps carved in the rock that to have to negotiate to get to the castle. As you walk them you look down on the the Atlantic rollers and imagine the olden days when Arthur and Merlin held court.
    That lady would be Mrs Slowcome, and she has always on about her *****, much to Captain Pickering and Mr Humphrey's amusement.

BW. Bob F.

16. Re: Yes it is.

A man after my own heart!!! Have you watched:
    Dr. Who? (soon to start again, I hear)
    Black Adder? (If so, is it still being produced?)
    Red Dwarf? (If so, is it still in production)

Rich :D :D :D :D :D

17. Re: For Rich. The article.

You're kidding... aren't you?

18. Gordon and Uncle Frank

Firstly the wing-scales photographs. No I am not kidding. If you wish for a explanation as to what I did and how I did it then just ask and I will tell you. I was, and probably still am the only person in the world to have consistently taken pictures of the wing scales of LIVING BUTTERFLIES. Most people do it when the subject is dead. It earnt me a small fortune especially from Microsoft. One picture alone in 1983 earnt me £2000. An American Wildlife Magazine's double page spread. However the real money came from the articles I wrote and illustrated. Later this year I hope to have these photos professionally scanned and I will post some of them. on the forum. They look like photos taken by the Hubble Telescope.

Rich you old anglophile how come you know so much about the British TV programmes. The answers are YES YES AND YES.
    Dr Who starts again next week.
    Blackadder is no longer made but is repeated quite often. The very last episode, 'Going over the Hill.' is always in the top 3 most memorable TV moments.
    Red Dwarf is also not made any longer, but oh what fun that was with Rimmer and Co getting into to all kinds of escapades.

Now did you know that they are making a film of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If it good as the old BBC version then it will be a cracker. Marvin always cracked me up.

BW. Bob F.

19. Re: Gordon and Uncle Frank

I have, I think, every known episode of the doctor...even the 8th pilot made by Fox here in the states....Sylvester morphs at the beginning

I enjoyed the first set when he cuts off the King's head by mistake...then tries to stick it back on :D Did you kow there really was a gent named Blackadder? Implicated in the murder of Mary Queen of Scots' 2nd husband Dudly. Strangled, disembowled, castrated and beheaded in that order...normal low key reformation stuff.

I'm getting Red Dwarf seasons 5 & 6 on DVD today..after 7 it degenrates...except of course for Kachansky..huff puff :p

I don't think they could EVER make a better version of The Hitchhiker's Guide. Resistance is futile! :twisted:

Rich

20. No I did not.

You really are a Sci-Fi man. What with Red Dwarf and and the Daleks plus a bit of the BORG you are THE MAN.

I read a lot of good Sci Fi especially Peter F Hamilton. I also collect his signed editions. Who would have thought that a book first published and signed in 1997 would now be worth £400. Cannot wait for Nov 2005 for Judas Unchained. SIGNED COPY ON ORDER!

Do you remember Quatermass and the Pit? Now that does show my age.
    BW. Bob F.