My New D850 is Starting to Like Me

I passed over the purchase of a new D850 two years ago and bought the D750. Oh my, oh my what a Camera is the D850 and it's starting to like me especially paired with the 500 PF.

Cedar Waxwing 82020.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_8500257_00002.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Very nice shots!! You will LOVE the D850! I sure do! And just yesterday I got a used 500 mm PF. Today I used the PF on my D5.....but I did some heavy cropping. Tomorrow I will give my D850 a chance to pair with the 500mm PF.

The AF acquisition and tracking are just a little bit slower than the D5!!!! Dynamic range and fine details are awesome.

ENJOY!

Very nice shots!! You will LOVE the D850! I sure do! And just yesterday I got a used 500 mm PF. Today I used the PF on my D5.....but I did some heavy cropping. Tomorrow I will give my D850 a chance to pair with the 500mm PF.

The AF acquisition and tracking are just a little bit slower than the D5!!!! Dynamic range and fine details are awesome.

ENJOY!
Thank you Karen. I use my D500 for BIF and Wildlife paired with the 500 PF though dealing with crop quality of the D500 I have found so far the D850 clearly is the winner.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I sold my D500 and now use the D5 and D850 for BIFs, wildlife, etc. The D5 excels in low light, but otherwise, the D850 is pretty close to the D5!!!!!

Nice shots Vern. D850/500pf is an amazing combo.
Thanks Bill! What I have discovered very quickly is the 850 really fills those QXD and SD cards quickly. I’ll need to pick up a few more Cards before my September trip to Wyoming. For Landscape I’m thinking 24-70 f2.8 and my 16-35 f4 will work well for the Fall Colors.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks Bill! What I have discovered very quickly is the 850 really fills those QXD and SD cards quickly. I’ll need to pick up a few more Cards before my September trip to Wyoming. For Landscape I’m thinking 24-70 f2.8 and my 16-35 f4 will work well for the Fall Colors.
...and maybe the 70-200..... I use it more for landscapes than anything. And occasionally it is handy to capture details in architecture.

Nice stuff, Vern. Yup, 70-200 for landscapes is fabulous. The F/4 is perfect.
I called and checked the price of the 70 - 200 2.8 E FL ED today at my favorite / local Nikon Dealer and there was a savings of $450.00 or 23% drop in price since last weeks listing on Nikon's USA Web Site. I was thinking of the F4 Version and doing my home work but there was no price reduction for the F4 at this time. So at that savings the 70 - 200 E Version is now on my D850. Money saved might be used for the 1.4 Teleconverter.

JLH

My wife showed me some beautiful wildlife photos one of her old class mates from school had posted. She was impressed and thought I could "do better". Then I informed her what a new D850 and that 500PF he used cost and she shut up!
Its nice gear and I admire the quality of that combination. I am happy there are those who are willing to, and have the funds, to invest that much into photo gear. One of the members of my local photo club picked up a good used D850 and a Sigma 500 and praised that combination. Two months later I asked him how the D850 and the 500 lens was doing and he told me he had sold it all. It seems someone he knew was headed out on an assignment and their D850 broke just days before they had to leave and they needed a replacement pronto. He told me that while he loved the results it was just "more camera than he needed" and that his D500 served him well. Personally I think his wife may have frowned on him having so much money tied up in gear! ;)
From all I have seen and read the D850 is one fine piece of work. The results I have seen all support that fact.

Yes that gear is way beyond what my finances will allow. So it is nice to see other members photos and what can be achieved with it

Latest threads

Top Bottom