Review My new EPM-1 first impressions

I got the EPM-1 last night and didn't have too much time to play with it then. I went out for a little test run at a park near the office where I work. I only have the kit lens (20 f1.7 is on it's way). The light was very flat and boring. But, here are a few samples. All were taken in raw and have been post processed by me in Lightroom 3 and Photoshop. I had turned off the noise reduction in the camera and there was slight noise evident in the ISO 200 shots. I am going to try some shots with it set on low and see if they are improved.

The lens does have a small amount of CA that was not too noticeable in the raw images, but did show up a bit more as I pushed things in the post processing. I love the size of the camera. Focusing is quick. So far my impression is favorable.

I didn't try any of the art filters and probably won't use them because I like to do my own post processing.

The display was a bit hard to see in the bright light outdoors. It seems about equal to the one I've been getting along with on my Canon s90 for the past 3 years so I think I can make it work for me.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here are a couple I did when testing for focusing. Seems pretty accurate. So far I haven't noticed in problems with the IBIS.

at 1/80th second

at 1/15th second

Shots look good! Regarding CA, Olympus doesn't correct CA in-camera. I prefer it because I read somewhere that Panasonic's CA/distortion correction slightly sacrifices overall resolution. To my eye it gives Olympus images a more photographic/SLR quality versus the more sterile Panasonic output. On the flip side I find Panasonic video quality to be much better because of in-camera correction.

Nice glass, Terri. :rolleyes:

I warned you. It won't be long until you're be taking pictures of truck tires, too. :biggrin:

I thought this first set came off well, Terri. Buyer's Remorse or Happy Dance?

Nice glass, Terri. :rolleyes:

http://terrif.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v40/p345366949.jpg

I warned you. It won't be long until you're be taking pictures of truck tires, too. :biggrin:

I thought this first set came off well, Terri. Buyer's Remorse or Happy Dance?
I always have buyers remorse, Frank....give me a few days and I'll let you know how I feel once the stress of having something new wears off.

I think it will be a lot of fun... Amber will be here with the kids soon and I'll try some pix of them with the 20 f1.7. It came a while ago.

Let me know what you think....We can figure this out together.
Absolutely Terri!!!

I'm going to meet some friends tonight at a lil local spot so I'll be bringing my new toy with. Although I only have the kit lens right now.

I always have buyers remorse, Frank....give me a few days and I'll let you know how I feel once the stress of having something new wears off.

I think it will be a lot of fun... Amber will be here with the kids soon and I'll try some pix of them with the 20 f1.7. It came a while ago.
You will love it with the 20 1.7!!!! It is laserbeam sharp and you can shoot at much lower ISO's than the kit lens. It is sharp wide open but I really like it at f/2 where both eyes are in focus instead of just one! Also I found I like shooting smaller jpgs at the Medium size with noise reduction in camera set to normal that way I am not tempted to pixel peep too much and the cam is more like a 6mp...
This was shot at those settings at f/2

Nice initial shots, Terri, but please do not post too many good images; I am trying hard to sit on my wallet for a little while ... :tongue:

It didn't take you long to fall in love with the 20/1.7. Pretty awesome lens, isn't it. I really like the FOV if offers for people pics, which is why I'm holding off on the 45/1.8.
yeah, it's nice for sure. Can't believe how sharp it is wide open and by 2.0 it is crazy sharp. Love the pancake size too especially on a small cam like the E-PM1. I think the 45 1.8 is a little better focal length for portraits though as you have to get in pretty close with the 20, sometimes that can be a problem.

yeah, it's nice for sure. Can't believe how sharp it is wide open and by 2.0 it is crazy sharp. Love the pancake size too especially on a small cam like the E-PM1. I think the 45 1.8 is a little better focal length for portraits though as you have to get in pretty close with the 20, sometimes that can be a problem.
I found out about getting too close today. I'll share an example when I get back to my computer.

The problem with toddlers is..... they toddle! Nice pictures, especially for "test shots". Have a blast and keep posting pics.
That's why I use the 45 1.8 shoot my daughter! Kids tend to move if you get too close. With the 45, my daughter tends to keep still a little longer. :wink:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom