Review My new EPM-1 first impressions

Very nice, but you would take good pictures with a disposable camera.

No buyer's remorse, I am predicting now that you will take many more beautiful pictures with the PM1.

That's why I use the 45 1.8 shoot my daughter! Kids tend to move if you get too close. With the 45, my daughter tends to keep still a little longer. :wink:
This is why I prefer a fast zoom for kids. The D700 with the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 is my tool of choice. However, all of these posts of the M4/3 and Nex cameras is putting a knot in in my wallet and is eroding my always-weak dam of self-control. This is an evil place :biggrin:

It didn't take you long to fall in love with the 20/1.7. Pretty awesome lens, isn't it. I really like the FOV if offers for people pics, which is why I'm holding off on the 45/1.8.
In this context I really need to mention the 25/1.4 - while the 20/1.7 has the size factor going for it, the 25/1.4 has the faster aperture, better bokeh - and most importantly, much faster AF!

The slow AF is the only thing that really bothers me about the 20/1.7.

Cheers

Mike

In this context I really need to mention the 25/1.4 - while the 20/1.7 has the size factor going for it, the 25/1.4 has the faster aperture, better bokeh - and most importantly, much faster AF!

The slow AF is the only thing that really bothers me about the 20/1.7.

Cheers

Mike
I have not tested my 20 too much yet other than static head shots and it's great for that. Until they come out with an M43 cam with a decent frame rate and continuous focus ability I think the 20 is fast enough for the cams that are out at the moment. The Leica pics I have seen look awesome but I'm not sure it's worth the $ or the size difference on the cams that people are using them on yet. maybe the new Oly OMD will be the first! I hope so... If so I will be all over that new 75 1.8!

I love to do close up head shots of the kids. The 20 f1.7 doesn't work well for that as you can see from this distorted photo of Jaden. I am not sure whether or not I will buy the 45....this whole m4/3 thing was just supposed to replace my P&S, not be another entire system. I am going to spend some time seeing if I can figure how how to be more creative with the 20mm. That will be good for me and give me a new goal.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is why I prefer a fast zoom for kids. The D700 with the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 is my tool of choice. However, all of these posts of the M4/3 and Nex cameras is putting a knot in in my wallet and is eroding my always-weak dam of self-control. This is an evil place :biggrin:
It is evil......If you don't want a small camera, I would just resist!! I just got so tired of carrying all that camera gear around every time we had a family get together that I started using my P&S for a lot of things. Hopefully this will help me get past my photography slump.

I love to do close up head shots of the kids. The 20 f1.7 doesn't work well for that as you can see from this distorted photo of Jaden.
Just back up, and then crop. It also helps if you take portraits in portrait orientation.

But I think my ultimate system is going to be the 20/1.7, 45/1.8, and 14-42 kit lens. And since they're all af, I won't need the evf.

I love to do close up head shots of the kids. The 20 f1.7 doesn't work well for that as you can see from this distorted photo of Jaden. I am not sure whether or not I will buy the 45....this whole m4/3 thing was just supposed to replace my P&S, not be another entire system. I am going to spend some time seeing if I can figure how how to be more creative with the 20mm. That will be good for me and give me a new goal.

http://terrif.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v38/p743865371.jpg
Terri, don't worry about the distortion at all....This is a great shot and you could never get it with a point and shoot, as Frank said you could back up 2 feet and crop and it would be completely without distortion, but I like this just as shot! You only have to back up a little and it looks just fine!

Terri, don't worry about the distortion at all....This is a great shot and you could never get it with a point and shoot, as Frank said you could back up 2 feet and crop and it would be completely without distortion, but I like this just as shot! You only have to back up a little and it looks just fine!
http://www.pbase.com/daveja/image/141535958/original.jpg
Your boy is so photogenic.....Kind of a Mona Lisa type smile. I will practice with this focal length. I've got a 35 f2 for my Nikon and haven't used it much. I tend to grab the longer focal lengths when taking people shots. But I will get it down!! It's good to have a new challenge.

Your boy is so photogenic.....Kind of a Mona Lisa type smile. I will practice with this focal length. I've got a 35 f2 for my Nikon and haven't used it much. I tend to grab the longer focal lengths when taking people shots. But I will get it down!! It's good to have a new challenge.
That's funny, I have the 35 f/2 as well and I like sticking it right in people's mug with my D700 and I always like the shots but everyone complains that they look distorted lol...I guess it is safer to go with the 45 in that case, you could return the 20 for now and try the 45 to see which one works best..

That's funny, I have the 35 f/2 as well and I like sticking it right in people's mug with my D700 and I always like the shots but everyone complains that they look distorted lol...I guess it is safer to go with the 45 in that case, you could return the 20 for now and try the 45 to see which one works best..
No, I'm keeping the 20. I like to shoot lots of other subject matter besides people....Landscapes are my real love. But, the 20 will be great for all the hikes and such that my husband and I take.

Just back up, and then crop. It also helps if you take portraits in portrait orientation.

But I think my ultimate system is going to be the 20/1.7, 45/1.8, and 14-42 kit lens. And since they're all af, I won't need the evf.
That is what I am thinking, too, Frank. That way I won't be into it too much money. I am going to work with the 20 for a while, but if I end up enjoying the camera, (like I think I will), I will get the 45.

A few more from the day..... It has been so much fun having new gear. It seems to be bringing back the passion....

It was breezy today, so I tried the AF tracking with this one and it worked well.

A valentines flower shot...(My sweet baby daughter, Melissa bought them for me!) The Oly seems to handle reds well.

Tried heavily processing one just for fun

And one of my daughter and grandson having a nice moment.

Hopefully I will have more fun tomorrow!!

To me the 20 and 45 are really two different lenses. The 20 makes an excellent walk-around lens, but the 45 is really best suited for portraiture. I sold mine awhile back and then re-bought it after realizing how much I miss it! This lens basically made me sell my 85 1.4 G, just because I brought my 45 1.8 with me everywhere!

View attachment 995735

A few more from the day..... It has been so much fun having new gear. It seems to be bringing back the passion....

It was breezy today, so I tried the AF tracking with this one and it worked well.

http://terrif.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v16/p208412974.jpg

A valentines flower shot...(My sweet baby daughter, Melissa bought them for me!) The Oly seems to handle reds well.

http://terrif.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v27/p178016511.jpg

Tried heavily processing one just for fun

http://terrif.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v40/p1073397886.jpg

And one of my daughter and grandson having a nice moment.

http://terrif.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v39/p608053970.jpg

Hopefully I will have more fun tomorrow!!
Those look really nice Terri! After getting used to Olympus colors, my Nikon colors have started to feel bland! :wink::smile:

To me the 20 and 45 are really two different lenses. The 20 makes an excellent walk-around lens, but the 45 is really best suited for portraiture. I sold mine awhile back and then re-bought it after realizing how much I miss it! This lens basically made me sell my 85 1.4 G, just because I brought my 45 1.8 with me everywhere!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6XqsFvJ0d6A/TzyOyIPlUEI/AAAAAAAABgw/vO-cdvhvsDw/s800/JSF23064.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GrlHyCDEUns/TwzBorYRFXI/AAAAAAAABVE/qfGLuKWry9U/s800/JSF21582.jpg
Jonathan, how do you process E-Pm1 raw files. I was surprised to see they are not supported in PS CS5? Oooops, nevermind, had to run an update.....

I just processed a raw file in Cs5 that I had done earlier from a jpg and thought I got a better file converting the raw file in Cs5 first...
1(jpg from cam processed in Photoshop CS5)

2(raw file processed in CS5)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom