My new favorite backpacking bag [In field pic added]

http://www.lowepro.com/photosport

It combines a traditional backpacking bag with a DSLR compartment. I have biked, ran and hiked with it over the last few months and I can say its my new favorite bag.

It fits my D800 and 24-70 in the compartment perfectly with a little room left for my X100 if I want to take it. I use the main compartments for anything else you can name, jacket, dog leash, snack, knife, lighter, keys, hydration pack, first aid kid, water bottle for the dog, poncho, spare batteries, memory cards, cleaning cloths, etc... I take my 70-200 lens wrapped in a bath towel or carrying case if I want to take that lens too, I also can fit my 40G or 50G and 1TC in the top pouch safely.

The best part is, everything stays secure and well distributed while I'm on the move. I highly recommend this bag for those with active lifestyles.

Its an AW bag so it comes with a built in rain cover just in case...I have had it in the rain without the cover and nothing got wet inside.

I do wish the locks were made from a tougher more rugged plastic, and perhaps the seams a bit more durable but that would double the cost of the bag for sure...

Here is the bag in the field:

Attached is:
Really Right Stuff TVC-33 Tripod
Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ballhead

Inside Bag:
Nikon D800
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII [I usually take one or the other but wanted both here]
Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon 2.0TCIII
Other various odds and ends...

6893817980_2a44fd4b7a_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I went to REI a few times to see if I can convert a similar like bag into a DSLR bag and even the similar priced bags don't have all these features but are built a little tougher...

Great bag and the only one on the market like it...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two versions Sling and Backpack.

They both come in either black or blaze orange.

I wouldn't recommend the sling - or any sling bag for that matter on longer hikes, trips outings....

Dom, one more question and I'll stop buggin you :wink:. Are you able to jog a little with the bag and gear inside. What I mean is, does it hold it pretty well that if you needed to take a little run, it wouldn't slosh around too much?

Dom, one more question and I'll stop buggin you :wink:. Are you able to jog a little with the bag and gear inside. What I mean is, does it hold it pretty well that if you needed to take a little run, it wouldn't slosh around too much?

Hey its not a problem! Yes I can and have jogged with the bag with no issue. Just make sure the straps are secure and not favoring one side or you'll tire unevenly, lol.

Question: I'm looking in to the 200AW bag but can't find out if it will fit a:

D300s + either a 30mm 1.4 of 85mm 1.4 attached and have the other one in the camera section as well? It can hold a flash + camera with lens but a SB-910 is almost as big as a small lens right?

Question: I'm looking in to the 200AW bag but can't find out if it will fit a:

D300s + either a 30mm 1.4 of 85mm 1.4 attached and have the other one in the camera section as well? It can hold a flash + camera with lens but a SB-910 is almost as big as a small lens right?

You can def fit the body with one of those lenses and one flash. The other lens can go into another pocket. The center compartment is much roomier than it looks.

If you want to pack the flash in another compartment you should be able to fit the D300s and attach the 85 1.4 and leave the 30 1.4 loose next to the camera in the camera compartment, but you would have to place them carefully. I doubt you can just drop and go since the compartment is really custom molded to fit items sung and protect them.

I can fit the X100 with D800 or F100 with the 24-70 mounted pretty easily.

Again the compartment has a "X" crossed tightening rope that allows it to be packed loosed then tightening to hold these items super snugly for running, jumping or impacts...I would feel comfortable even skiing with any of these items..

PS: It will not fit a gripped body with a lens attached. But I wouldn't bring a gripped body in the field unless it was for a paid job, where I wouldn't be using this bag to begin with...

You can def fit the body with one of those lenses and one flash. The other lens can go into another pocket. The center compartment is much roomier than it looks.

If you want to pack the flash in another compartment you should be able to fit the D300s and attach the 85 1.4 and leave the 30 1.4 loose next to the camera in the camera compartment, but you would have to place them carefully. I doubt you can just drop and go since the compartment is really custom molded to fit items sung and protect them.

I was comparing the lens to the flash in terms of size. But this sounds good! I've been looking for a good outdoor bag for this summer (I work on the beach as a lifeguard and I'm there from 730 till 1830 on duty and have had times I wished I had a camera for sunrises and few times we saved a baby-seal...) whilst still being able to carry some gear (like a fresh t-shirt and short, some water and a bit to eat, sunglasses, sunblock)

Could it fit a 17-55 2.8 on the D300s with either the 30 or 85 next to it you think??

After finally finding a decent review here with a Canon 7D and a couple of big lenses and reading your findings I'm stocked!! And with only €135 it's not that expensive...

How has it worked for biking? I have parked my car as of today and I am bike commuting as much as I can and need a good means of carrying gear. I am currently using a Lowepro 350 AW but it is so hot when I ride it is almost unbearable.

How has it worked for biking? I have parked my car as of today and I am bike commuting as much as I can and need a good means of carrying gear. I am currently using a Lowepro 350 AW but it is so hot when I ride it is almost unbearable.

I rode for 3 hours yesterday on this with the bag and it worked flawlessly...
p637580783-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Will do when I get home

Thanks, It will be in stock in two weeks over here.. Can order it online and it'll be delivered tomorrow, but can't test how it all fits.

My needs:
D300s + Nikkor 17-55 f2.8 attached
Plus either:
1. Sigma 85mm f1.4
2. Sigma 30mm f1.4

Or:
D300s+ 85/30mm f1.4 attached
Plus either
1. Nikkor 17-55 f2.8
2. Sigma 85/30mm f1.4

And some smaller stuff like 2 ND filters, 2 spare batteries and 3CF cards. (have a "wallet" for that so can be put in the top-compartment)

Does someone have experience with this kind of setup?

Latest threads

Top Bottom