My new favorite high-end Bordeaux-style wine

This is the first Bordeaux-style wine in probably at least 20 years that I've had that was made in Washington. If this wine is an indication of typical quality from that state, I now totally understand why Washington high-end wines have such an excellent reputation. This one doesn't come cheap but I would have to pay one heck of a lot more for the same quality wine made in Napa Valley or France. As soon as I drank it, I ordered six more bottles for long-term storage in my wine refrigerator.

The name, D2, pays homage to highway D2 that connects the town of Bordeaux, France with the Medoc region.

Mike 2021-04-10--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo of the Setup
The tabletop and background are wooden wall hangings purchased in a craft store. The larger lamp lit the overall scene. The smaller lamp lit the rear of the tabletop and the lower area of the background. The white reflector added reflections to the wine glass and the two bottles. Nine focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings.
Mike 2021-04-10--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Good choice of lighting—great choice of wine. I've only had a glass of it, but I did like it, a lot. The 2017 is sold out at the winery, and the 2018 is marked down to $45 (from $50).

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
First, excellent shot as usual.

Also, I see that the winery is listed as Woodinville, which is a suburb of the greater Seattle area. No grapes grown around here!! Grow them on the east side of the mountains (in the Yakima/Walla Walla areas), and then process them somewhere else. No big deal ... a lot of wineries here in the state do that ... just an unimportant FYI!!

Ken

D2 is not a highway

From the label on the wine bottle: "D2 takes its name from the grand route du vin, or great wine road that travels through the historic chateau region of Bordeaux."

If you use Google maps to locate the town of Bordeaux, France, you will see that the map clearly displays highway D2 going northward from the suburb Balanquefort along the west side of the Gironde River through the famous, historic Bordeaux wine regions of Margaux and Pauillac and finally terminating in Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc. Google Maps also estimates that it takes about 1 1/2 hours to travel the length of the highway by automobile.

Last edited:
From the label on the wine bottle: "D2 takes its name from the grand route du vin, or great wine road that travels through the historic chateau region of Bordeaux."

If you use Google maps to locate the town of Bordeaux, France, you will see that the map clearly displays highway D2 going northward from the suburb Balanquefort along the west side of the Gironde River through the famous, historic Bordeaux wine regions of Margaux and Pauillac and finally terminating in Saint-Vivien-de-Medoc. Google Maps also estimates that it takes about 1 1/2 hours to travel the length of the highway by automobile.
No a highway is , in French , une autoroute .... d2 is une route departementale ( for departement ) , grand route du vin doesnt means its a big road .... grande route du vin means that you have a lot of famous wineries on this road , it doesnt mean its a highway

No a highway is , in French , une autoroute .... d2 is une route departementale ( for departement ) , grand route du vin doesnt means its a big road .... grande route du vin means that you have a lot of famous wineries on this road , it doesnt mean its a highway

You're only being pedantic, especially considering that some authorities consider the terms, highway, road, and street to be synonymous. I'm not French and don't make the fine distinction between highways, roads and the like even in America, much less France. If you have anything to say about the photo or the wine, please do so. Otherwise, I'll end this conversation with you.

Last edited:
You're only being pedantic, especially considering that some authorities consider the terms, highway, road, and street to be synonymous. I'm not French and don't make the fine distinction between highways, roads and the like even in America, much less France. If you have anything to say about the photo or the wine, please do so. Otherwise, I'll end this conversation with you.
No im just being accurate , if you use French terms at least use them correctly and just dont assume what they mean ...

This is the first Bordeaux-style wine in probably at least 20 years that I've had that was made in Washington. If this wine is an indication of typical quality from that state, I now totally understand why Washington high-end wines have such an excellent reputation. This one doesn't come cheap but I would have to pay one heck of a lot more for the same quality wine made in Napa Valley or France. As soon as I drank it, I ordered six more bottles for long-term storage in my wine refrigerator.
First, nice image.

DeLille is one of my favorite Wine Clubs, I have a few.

I picked up another case of D2 Friday April 23rd at the New Woodinville Tasting Room. Delille offers an extra 10% off over and above my wine club discount a couple times a year and I usually stock up on what has essentially become our table wine at $31.50 a bottle. A bonus is I really like it as well as just about everything else DeLille makes. We had a few pickups so did a few tastings and went out to dinner to celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary.

There are many Washington Wineries that make excellent Bordeaux style wines. I live here and visit Woodinville, Red Mountain and Walla Walla frequently and haven't scratched the surface of tasting even a fraction of them yet.

I bought two bottles from Total Wine local to me. I didn't notice at the time this D2 vintage was 2015. I managed to handle one bottle over a weekend. Excellent full body cab. Had about 1/2 bottle one night and it was just as tasty the next night. Cheers!

Excellent full body cab.

Except that it's 66% Merlot, 29% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. I don't have a discriminating palate, so I seriously doubt that I would know the difference if the Merlot and Cab quantities were switched unless I was tasting them side-by-side.

EDIT: Those details pertain to the 2017 vintage and the blend in the 2015 vintage is similar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom