My new favorite toy!

Today I bought the lens I've been looking at for 3 years, the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR lens! I have to say that I love it, the only thing I can even say something bad about is that the VR drains your batteries quick but hey I can live with that! Only had it or a few hours so tomorrow I'll have to go out and try it for real! Heard so much good stuff about it and the once I have tried has been some of the sharpest lenses I've ever used. Some photos of the unboxing and a small review can be found at:
http://rasmusjohansson.wordpress.com
I'll post here again as soon as I have tried it more!

Can't wait to see your pictures with this lens. I have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 w/o VR...thinking about selling it for one like yours.

Congrats! I am a new owner of a 70-200vr. I purchased mine yesterday. None of my other lenses compare to it. Looking foward to your pics.

Congrats and welcome to the cafe...good things aren't cheap and cheap things usually aren't good. These lenses hold their value extremelly well and will outlast a few different bodies. Enjoy your new investment...

Cheers

Ted:smile:

Thank you everybody, I have been out trying the lens in -2°C today and with really overcast weather. So with an ISO of 800 and a f/2.8-4 I could get a shutter speed of 1/60-1/120s wich isn't ideal but without the VR I would have been totally lost. I will post here as soon as my new logpost is up with images! It truly is an amazing lens but damn that magnesium-alloy body get cold!

//Rasmus

3132494929_559eb560d3_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I love mine -- took this shot earlier this week. Creamy bokeh.

The only thing I don't care for is that I have to stay about 5 feet away from the subject in order to focus. That's a shame. Not that it matter in this snow photo.

Here is one pic i posted on my blog, more is coming in a nearby future! :D

ducks_standing_on_the_ice.jpg

Congrats! I've been enjoying the HECK out of mine, when I can actually get outside to use it. Weather has been super nice here in the DC area (60's F) so I managed to get out over the holidays and get a bunch of great photos. If you think the battery drain is bad on your D300 (?), it's a lot worse on my D40! lmao Clearly Nikon did not believe that any 40/x/60 owner would be nutty enough to get this lens and shoot it on these cameras. Every session I shoot with the lens, my battery is down a full bar (out of three) or possibly two, heh heh. Batteries are cheap though. :smile:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3225/3132494929_559eb560d3_o.jpg

The only thing I don't care for is that I have to stay about 5 feet away from the subject in order to focus. That's a shame. Not that it matter in this snow photo.
Lovely shot!

Yeah, the 5 foot minimum focus distance is the reason I don't really bother to use this lens indoors. If I'm shooting my daughter she's either just outside of 5 feet and not a whole lot more, or she's soon to be charging me and coming within 5 feet and I'm hosed. Would have been nice to try this lens out with the Canon 500D close-up filter, but that's one of the things I sold to help fund the lens, LOL. :tongue:

New image up, sorry for the watermark.. :(

low_key_portrait.jpg

3132494929_559eb560d3_o.jpg

:eek: nice capture!!

I really love mine and it worked really well for the last wedding we did. Got to take it out and try some casual photos.

Michael

Latest threads

Top Bottom