My new old 50 dollar camera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, May 27, 2005.

1. Found this old beast at a junk store for the equivalent of US 50 today including the 43-86mm lens (what odd sizes!!) - and couldn't resist. I must say, for something that is some thirty years old, this F2 is so beautifully built and feels so solid in the hand.

These are really works of mechanical art. And sitting next to my D2H - it almost appears to be a subcompact in size!

It's still fully functional, metering included and one wonders what it has seen in it's many years of shooting -- if only I could see through it's "eye". No "Err" or shutter issues here..

Gosh, I might just be tempted to open a film canister...it would be my first in nearly 3 years!

[​IMG]

2. Ahh, that brings back memories. I had that exact set-up back in the 70s. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the trip down memory road.

Brian

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Peter,

I'm old, and though I never owned a camera before Christmas before last, I did borrow them from friends from time to time. I remember that there was this reel of plastic stuff that you had to thread onto the sprockets inside, and you had to make sure that you didn't open it up after that or all of the pictures got messed up. Then, when you finished with one reel (about 24 shots as I recall), you had to put another one in.

Once you finished with several reels, you had to take them to the drug store, and wait several days to see your pictures, and pay $6 or $8 bucks for a pack of a few dozen 4 x 6 snapshots.

Think I'll stick to digital....

:lol:

4. OMG, 50 bucks for such a gem? You are such a lucky guy.

The old mechanical film cameras were built to last. I have a
    Contax that's older than me and it's still functioning perfectly.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Looks nicely dinged up too! Plus it's got the metering prism, so you're set! Pop a roll in!

6. Peter,
    Since getting my D100 a few years ago I have not shot a single frame of 35mm. But to get this gem for $50, I would have jumped on it also!
    Congratulations on your find and show us if you shoot some with it.

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

That's a really great deal!

I sold a Nikon F and 2 lenses for $267.00 on eBay, in April, 2002, and the meter was not working.

8. I took my first roll of film today for years in this beast - and I kept looking at the back of the camera for the monitor unconciously - I didn't realise what a chimper I've become! One thing digital does is destroy one's self confidence for the unknown as in "Is this correctly framed and exposed"...well, I'll have to wait for Monday to see, won't I!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Peter,

As talented as you are, I am absloutely positive you will have some wonderful images for us.

Let me guess B/W :>)))

Can't wait to see your next up comming creation. This will be a treat, as you always amaze us.

Bet you had fun.

Well the Chimping....lololol yep, thats us....

10. Peter, I still have my F2, mine has the first photomic head that was available at the time which is different from yours , do you know which one you have?