My new purchase

On my D5500, f3 is "Assign Touch Function", and it's set to "Off". If I press "OK" to change it all I get is "None". There must be some other setting I'm missing to enable the touch function. Any ideas?

It is enabled for Live View.

Last edited:
Thanks, Terri. I'll give this a try.
Good luck!
I was at my local Microcenter store today and saw that in their camera department they had the Nikon D5600 on display, so I picked it up and played with it for a few minutes. Wow, it’s small and lightweight! I was surprised at the close focusing distance of the 18-55mm kit lens they had on it, too, as I casually shot a couple of shots of a camera nearby and a promotional sign. I can see why you are so pleased with your new camera, Terri!
I think a lot of us who have purchased really expensive gear just disregard the lower level cameras as not worthy of our consideration. I’m glad that I was encouraged to take a look. I think it will work out well for me. I’m having a bit of a problem with my photo being underexposed. I’m going to try to figure out why. I think Ill put in a stop of positive exposure compensation and see if that resolves it.

Possibly Setup Menu/Touch Controls/On. Sorry about the photos. We are traveling in the car and I took them with my phone. Not sure how to get them to rotate.
70DF0EE2-8A7C-4D7C-872E-C8B916EB3924.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
BA1C2B2D-D772-48E1-B898-7A307F75136E.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
No. I’m looking through the viewfinder. The screen is actually not lit up. You move your thumb around the screen and it moves the focus point. It’s very fast. It took a little practice but I’m proficient at it now. You turn it on on the menu. Custom, f3, assign touch function, focus point selection.
I need to see if my D850 does this. Awesome find!

Possibly Setup Menu/Touch Controls/On. Sorry about the photos. We are traveling in the car and I took them with my phone. Not sure how to get them to rotate. View attachment 1620834 View attachment 1620835

Thanks, Terri. I don't ever see the menu in your first picture, but I do have Touch controls "On" as in your second picture.

Don't worry about it and enjoy your trip. I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks, Terri. I don't ever see the menu in your first picture, but I do have Touch controls "On" as in your second picture.

Don't worry about it and enjoy your trip. I'll figure it out eventually.
I'm home now and saw that the pictures were not rotated horizontally like they were on my phone. Hope you will be able to figure it out to give it a try. You may not even like it, but it would be nice if you had the option to experiment.

Terri,

The D5600 is a nice, light and capable camera, i am finding myself liking the touch screen more and more as I get used to it. It is also fully compatible with the new AF-P lenses; if you are looking for a wide angle lens the 8oz Nikon 10-20 AF-P is a rather nice lens and a perfect match for the D5600 IMHO :)

I'm home now and saw that the pictures were not rotated horizontally like they were on my phone. Hope you will be able to figure it out to give it a try. You may not even like it, but it would be nice if you had the option to experiment.

Got it. There is another page of menus under "Touch Controls" that I was not seeing. Had to scroll up to previous page.

Brief trial suggests I might like it. Thanks for pointing it out or I would never have found it.

Terri, you indeed proved once again it's not the gear, but the one pushing the button. You rock that 5600 for Sure.

And I for one would rather have a camera that "protects" the highlights than the other way round'. Just my style I guess....

If you're still thinking about a 35 1.8 for that kit, shoot me a PM. I have one I seldom use I can shoot your way so you can see if it fits your wants/needs. No hurry getting it back.

Terri,

The D5600 is a nice, light and capable camera, i am finding myself liking the touch screen more and more as I get used to it. It is also fully compatible with the new AF-P lenses; if you are looking for a wide angle lens the 8oz Nikon 10-20 AF-P is a rather nice lens and a perfect match for the D5600 IMHO :)
Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will look into it because we are going on a trip in a couple of weeks.

Got it. There is another page of menus under "Touch Controls" that I was not seeing. Had to scroll up to previous page.

Brief trial suggests I might like it. Thanks for pointing it out or I would never have found it.
Glad I was able to help you with something. I am so grateful for all the time you spent helping me!!

Terri, you indeed proved once again it's not the gear, but the one pushing the button. You rock that 5600 for Sure.

And I for one would rather have a camera that "protects" the highlights than the other way round'. Just my style I guess....

If you're still thinking about a 35 1.8 for that kit, shoot me a PM. I have one I seldom use I can shoot your way so you can see if it fits your wants/needs. No hurry getting it back.
Actually, I picked one up at a local camera store on Thursday. Too bad.

Alas, not on the D850. Though I don't think we need it, since we have the little stubby joystick that can do the same thing, and it's right below the back AF button.
When I was researching my mirrorless options I found that it is on many of them. Maybe Nikon is testing it out on the little D5XXX series. I would say that it doesn't work perfectly so maybe it isn't ready for prime time. I wonder if it will be on the Z6/Z7s?

Nikon would be making a serious error if they don't include touchscreen capability on their new Z cameras. I think, yes, it is on most of the current line of mirrorless cameras available today by various manufacturers; I know Sony has it on their current FF mirrorless models (A7R III and A7 III) -- not sure about their APS-C cameras, as I haven't looked into that, but it is on the RX10 and RX100 models.

On the D850 touch screen is great for navigating menus and it can be useed to change focus points when in live view mode. I wonder if "touchpad" focus could be added in a firmware update.

Larry

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom