My new purchase

On the D850 touch screen is great for navigating menus and it can be useed to change focus points when in live view mode. I wonder if "touchpad" focus could be added in a firmware update.

Larry
^^ 't would be nice!

I can see how it would be helpful for someone who does a lot of people photography, like Terri. With one touch you can put the focus point on the eyes. But I don't photograph people very much and after trying it on my D5500 I don't find it very helpful. I think I'll stick to back-button focus.

My wife tried it on her D5500 and found that her nose touches the screen and changes the focus point.

YMMV as they say. :)

I can see how it would be helpful for someone who does a lot of people photography, like Terri. With one touch you can put the focus point on the eyes. But I don't photograph people very much and after trying it on my D5500 I don't find it very helpful. I think I'll stick to back-button focus.

My wife tried it on her D5500 and found that her nose touches the screen and changes the focus point.

You're right about usefulness. I just tried how I would access the screen with my eye to the viewfinder - awkward to impossible on the D850 - the joystick works just fine along with back button focus when I do autofocus. The 850 is large enough that my nose hits only the menu button, though.

I heard it doesn't work well for people who shoot with their left eye because the nose interferes. Does she shoot with her left eye? Only the right side of the screen changes the focus point. I agree that the technique isn't for everyone. I'm sure Greg could never do it with his huge hands.

Nikon would be making a serious error if they don't include touchscreen capability on their new Z cameras. I think, yes, it is on most of the current line of mirrorless cameras available today by various manufacturers; I know Sony has it on their current FF mirrorless models (A7R III and A7 III) -- not sure about their APS-C cameras, as I haven't looked into that, but it is on the RX10 and RX100 models.
I looked it up earlier today, and can't remember the website now, but the one I read said that they did not put the feature into the Z6/Z7. Perhaps most people don't find it useful.

On Sony cameras there is the option to specify how much of the touchscreen is actually utilized, and if one designates, say, the right-hand-side only, that can remove the issue of “nose-focusing.” As a right-eyed shooter and right-handed person I have mine set to only be available for the right-hand side so that in case I bump into the LCD screen and potential target left side area with my nose it doesn’t register. It definitely helps when one has a large nose! :)

As for eye- focus when shooting people, Sony promotes that as a feature of their mirrorless cameras but since I rarely shoot people I have not implemented it. Apparently it is a very useful function for those who do a lot of portraits and photography of people.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom