My new purchase

I have done a lot of soul searching this summer in regards to my gear. I am not one to buy new gear often. I am blessed with a lot of great gear, but much of it is aging. My D610 isn't the latest and greatest, but it still works well for me and I am satisfied with it, except for it's weight. I have developed an autoimmune disease that is attacking my back and, while I am still mobile and can get around well, carrying heavy gear is out of the question for me. When we are out hiking and such, the D610 is not an option for me. In 2012 I purchased an Olympus E-M5, so it is 6 years old now. I have absolutely loved that camera and will keep it for the time being as I have some super nice lenses. But I was disappointed in the IQ in a few of my shots from it on a recent vacation. I know that the new technology is much better, but the sensor in m4/3 hasn't changed much and has it's limitations. The upgraded m4/3 camera body that I was interested in is $1700. That seems like a pretty steep price for another m4/3 camera for me. Although, I know several here have one and love it. I'm sure I would love it, too, but don't feel inclined to put out that much money on it. I was super interested in the new Nikon Mirrorless Z cameras, but until they get more native lenses I think that the camera and adapter with my FX lenses would be as heavy as my D610. I want to give that system a while longer to develop before I invest in it. Earlier this summer, a forum member corresponded with me about his satisfaction with the Nikon D5500 as a small complement to his FX and larger DX gear. So I have been looking at the D5600 at local stores. It is so much more cheaply made than any of my other gear. The kit lens is solid plastic, but my friend told me he has has a good experience with it. We have an upcoming trip to Olympic National Park and Victoria in less than a month and yesterday I decided to go to Best Buy and purchase the D5600 for a try, in spite of its lesser build quality. If I don't like it I can return it and only be out a 15% restocking fee. So, for $100 I decided that I would give it a go. I took it out for a little walk on the ditch behind our house this morning. I am testing the 18-55 kit lens. The results were better than I expected. This just might work for me. I have a 50mm prime to use on it. I'm also going to purchase either the 35 f1.8 or the 40 f2.8 macro lens. I can use my 70-200 f2.8 VR lens when I need a long zoom, although Greg will have to carry that one around for me. I also have some FX lenses that I am going to give a try. Time will tell if I
keep the D5600 or the E-M5....

The D5600 seems to meter to save highlights, but I was able to bring up the shadows to a satisfactory level. The setup is very light and easy for me to carry!!

I am open to any lightweight lens suggestions you might have, although I do not want to put a lot of money into this system. I'll save that for a FX mirrorless system later on.

p3043008710.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3043008785.jpg

p3043008985.jpg

p3043009353.jpg

p3043008923.jpg

I just got a refurbished Nikon 50 1.8G for an upcoming trip to Belgium. Still need to learn how to shoot with it, after all these years using primes, but it does make my heavy D850 seem so light and manageable! In the past a 50 was my get out of a slump lens---using it forced me to slow down and think! Now I'll want it to help me see and shoot! (I will take along a 16-35 f4)

Your logic makes compete sense to me. And after looking at your photos I agree there is nothing shabby about the 5600 in your hands. Plus all your existing lenses will work with it.

Good move, Terri! This way you'll be able to use your current and any new Nikon lenses you decide to add, and can enjoy the lighter weight of the D5600! True, it probably does not offer all the features and functionality of your other cameras but the important thing is that it is easier for you to manage and the photos you've shared here look really good. I think the current kit lenses are much better than they had been years ago, and that they do produce surprisingly good results. I believe Nikon makes a zoom that is small and lightweight like the kit lens -- 80-200? Not sure, but since you've already got the excellent (but larger and heavier) 70-200, obviously you don't need the other.

Happy shooting! :)

I just got a refurbished Nikon 50 1.8G for an upcoming trip to Belgium. Still need to learn how to shoot with it, after all these years using primes, but it does make my heavy D850 seem so light and manageable! In the past a 50 was my get out of a slump lens---using it forced me to slow down and think! Now I'll want it to help me see and shoot! (I will take along a 16-35 f4)

Your logic makes compete sense to me. And after looking at your photos I agree there is nothing shabby about the 5600 in your hands. Plus all your existing lenses will work with it.
I'm glad the logic makes sense. I never would have even considered it if a forum mate I totally trust had not put the idea in my head!! I just would have figured I wouldn't like the entry level camera. I bought a 50 1.8G a couple of years ago. It has been fun to shoot that focal length again on FX. I bet you'll do great things with it!! I loved my 35 f2 on my D300 years ago. It broke and I never replaced it for FX. But I think I'll probably get the 35 f1.8 G for DX and give it a whirl!!

Good move, Terri! This way you'll be able to use your current and any new Nikon lenses you decide to add, and can enjoy the lighter weight of the D5600! True, it probably does not offer all the features and functionality of your other cameras but the important thing is that it is easier for you to manage and the photos you've shared here look really good. I think the current kit lenses are much better than they had been years ago, and that they do produce surprisingly good results. I believe Nikon makes a zoom that is small and lightweight like the kit lens -- 80-200? Not sure, but since you've already got the excellent (but larger and heavier) 70-200, obviously you don't need the other.

Happy shooting! :)

I figure when I need the functionality of the other cameras, I will just use them. This will be my casual walk around camera. I know about the lighter weight zoom and I may purchase one at a future time if I decide the 70-200 is too heavy for me. It's nice we have so many options. I happy for you that you've found your little Sony!!

If the weight and ergonomics continue to feel good to you, I can't imagine, based on these photos, why the system wouldn't be a good fit for you.

I have my fingers crossed!! I told Greg that when we go out together, I'll teach him how to shoot with the D610. He had a big smile on his face. Of course, when the shooting gets serious, I'll be likely to trade him!! But, this way we will not need to take two completely different systems with us.

This shots do look good, Terri. I actually prefer a camera that protects highlights. I know about the "expose to the right" mantra and I understand the technical reasons, but it's too easy to blow out the highlights. If highlights get overexposed they are gone.

I wish you could try both the 35/1.8 and the 40/2.8. I think they are equally good optically, but the 40 is a true 1:1 macro. Of course it is a stop slower but that doesn't concern me for my uses.

I love that my 35 f/2 D focuses so closely. Assuming the f/1.8 G also focuses closely, that's a real benefit in certain circumstances. Regardless, I have five prime lenses and I use my 35mm by far the most on my DX system. Couldn't do without it!
That 35 f2 was surely a favorite of mine, but it won't focus on the D5600 since it doesn't have the focusing motor!!

This shots do look good, Terri. I actually prefer a camera that protects highlights. I know about the "expose to the right" mantra and I understand the technical reasons, but it's too easy to blow out the highlights. If highlights get overexposed they are gone.

I wish you could try both the 35/1.8 and the 40/2.8. I think they are equally good optically, but the 40 is a true 1:1 macro. Of course it is a stop slower but that doesn't concern me for my uses.
I do like the faster glass for indoor shooting with my grandkids. So that is a concern for me. But I will definitely consider both. I don't do much macro shooting, but lots of grandkids shooting!!

PS....so far that kit lens hasn't disappointed me....I'm very surprised.:)

I like your thought process. I am hoping the Z series will mature enough in the next five years where I will switch to it when I retire.

Otherwise, just want to say to enjoy your trip to ONP and Victoria. I just got back and it was wonderful though I hope the smoke from the BC fires clear up before you get there. Luckily, I was flexible enough be able t wait out the smoke on a few days.

I figure when I need the functionality of the other cameras, I will just use them. This will be my casual walk around camera. I know about the lighter weight zoom and I may purchase one at a future time if I decide the 70-200 is too heavy for me. It's nice we have so many options. I happy for you that you've found your little Sony!!

I have my fingers crossed!! I told Greg that when we go out together, I'll teach him how to shoot with the D610. He had a big smile on his face. Of course, when the shooting gets serious, I'll be likely to trade him!! But, this way we will not need to take two completely different systems with us.

I love both my little Sony (RX100 M6) and my "big" Sony (RX10 M4) and have enjoyed getting to know each of them over the past couple of months.... I like the fact that Sony finally put a longer zoom on the RX100, as the previous models just offered 24-70mm, which at times I found frustratingly short for a compact / travel camera. The current 24-200mm is a much better range. The real surprise to me, though, has been that RX10 M4, with its extensive range, reaching from 24-600mm (35mm equivalent); I really wasn't sure what to expect from that 1" sensor but so far I have been very pleased with the results I've gotten from that camera. That said, now that I've pretty much determined that I am not going to be getting either of the new Nikon Z cameras and the new Z series lenses, I'm back to still thinking seriously about the Sony A7III. It is so popular that availability is still limited, or I probably would have had one in my hands a long time ago!

It is an amazing time in the world of photography, isn't it? All kinds of options out there now compared to years ago. I think that cell phone cameras, while they may have played a role in killing off P&S cameras, have also sparked interest in photography in general so that it is likely that more people are looking at and considering the purchase and use of dedicated cameras when they begin to realize the limitations of the cameras in their cell phones. Others are perfectly happy with being able to fire off a few snapshots with their cell phone camera, send them right to Instagram or Facebook and that's the extent of their interest. There's something for everybody out there now....

Our office manager ran out last week and bought a D5600 for work. There was a need to photograph a signing ceremony and no time to get a professional photographer in. I was surprised how light it is. I need to check but I think it weighs about as much as my Leica CL. So from a weight stand point and IQ, I think you made a good choice.

When the camera arrived, I was pulled out of the office to set up the camera. Later, I was drafted to be the photographer. I kept trying to tell them I do not photograph people. Landscapes and critters are acceptable subjects but people and ceremonies are not. Good thing the photos are for internal use only.

Have fun, and stepping back to my car days, substituting *shoot* for *drive*, shoot it like you stole it!

My dad broke his hip two weeks ago. He was in the hospital for a few days and is now in rehab. My sweet mom is amazing. I am trying to get her out of the rehab room, where she spends her time with dad, for lunch every day. We have sure had fun. Today we hooked up with two of my daughters and two grandsons. The new D5600 and kit lens joined in on the good time. I am so impressed with the sharpness of this lens. My one concern is the underexposure on the D5600. I'm wondering if I have something set up wrong. Everything was about 1 stop underexposed, but post processing brought the dark areas up nicely.

It seems that my images have seemed soft on Zenfolio lately. Any other Zenfolio users notice the same problem?

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the results from this little kit lens. It's so small and light!!

p3043568767.jpg

p3043568920.jpg

p3043569067.jpg

p3043569321.jpg

p3043569370.jpg

p3043569684.jpg

Wow! You're getting great results with that combo already. You'll sell some more of them to fellow Nikon Cafe members. :D
I think YOU are the one who did the selling!! I'm so grateful that you recommended it!! I'm very pleased so far. We are heading to Salt Lake City tomorrow to spend a couple of days with some grandkids. Be prepared for photo overload!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom