1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My new Sigma 18-200 Buying Experience

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by phecksel, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I have been lusting over the 18-200 ever since I bought my D50 2.5 years ago... wow has it really been that long???

Gone back and forth, haven't been willing to commit the money, couldn't justify it, etc. Been looking really hot and heavy recently, checking out my fav online vendors, knew the best going market price, and had a few extra minutes before a kids event near my local {and sometimes pita} Adray camera store. So, I walked in with my camera, tried it out at 1/10 sec shutter speed, with OS on and off. Man I was sold on the spot, but still couldn't commit. Sales clerk was trying to hard to get me to not buy online... but I wouldn't do that to them. I walked away, and came back the next day, unfortunately he wasn't there :(  They brought the lens back out and I wanted to try it again, this time the results weren't nearly as good. So I had them bring another one out, which appeared to be the one I had tried the day before, and the results looked similar. As long as we were playing, had them bring one more out, and WOW, what a difference :)  I bought it and brought it home.

So, I promised the wife I will sell the 18-70 to help fund the new purchase, LOL. Can't wait to try it during the school concerts. My SB-800 has the reach to light up the stage, but that's distracting to other people, and quite frankly, the zoom range didn't fet my requirements. I couldn't get the whole stage, plus zoom in on my little angel :Angel::Whistle::D evil:

2. Let's see some shots . . .

3. ok, here is the lens with OS turned off
    DSC_20475.

and here it is with it turned on
    DSC_20474.

Check out this shot, I would have never guessed this would in any remote chance was possible
    DSC_20836.

4. I just purchased the same lens for my D70s last week. So far I'm very impressed and happy with my purchase. So much so that now I'm lookiing at the Sigma 120 - 400 for the extra reach and the OS.

Tell me - how should I break it to the wife that "WE" need this?

5. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    great lens

That sigma is great if you get a good copy. I bought one and it was real noisy and went to the store and tried out a different one, and it was great. I loved that lens and sold it to get the 18 to 200 vr. I think sthe VR is better for resale, but I do miss that sigma, good luck with it !!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.