My new to me 70-200f4

So, my new to me (used) 70-200 f4 arrived yesterday. I bought it from borrowlenses.com, which made me a little nervous because there’s the chance that folks who rented the lens abused it. But my particular lens was rated 9 out of 10. Borrowlenses was running a sale and I was able to pick it up for about $775, which was cheaper than I had seen the lens elsewhere. I’m sure someone will tell me they got theirs for less, but I thought it was a good price. I can return the lens in the first four weeks, but you only get three days to ship it back without being charged rental fees for the time you keep it. So I was anxious to get out and see how I liked it. I don’t shoot charts and such to evaluate lenses. Instead I try to use them as I intend and see how I like it. I’m sure that makes some of you cringe, but that’s what I do.
I bought this lens for general photogaphy, especially for travel when I don’t want to haul the 200-500 around. I also plan to use it for photos of the grandkids outside and maybe even some portraits if I get back into that. I had a terrible time deciding between this lens and the 70-300 af-p vr.

Enough of all that. I took the lens to the local park even though I don’t intend to use it for wildlife primarily. Before I post the photos let me say the lens looked nice and clean when I unboxed it. 9 out of 10 was definitely fair. The front lens cap is not Nikon branded, but it is the same style and seems to be equivalent quality. The rear lens cap and hood are Nikon and are clean as is the lens. It had a UV filter installed, which I plan to remove, but which I left on for these photos. The lens is very light and handles very nicely. I did find myself turning the focus ring when I meant to zoom, but I will adjust to that. It’s just smaller than the 200-500 and I am used to the zoom ring being farther out. The zoom throw is short and smooth. It’s not built like a 70-200 2.8, but I am pleased with the build quality. Everything worked as it should.

Finally, here are a few photos I took with it. I plan to keep it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got mine a few months ago, used, and with a 1.4tc. Love it. Sprang for the Kirk collar. Love it even more.
I’ll probably get a 1.4tc at some point. I can use it with this lens and the 200-500. I probably won’t get the collar as I don’t plan on using this lens on a tripod. Right now anyway.

Looks good! This lens gets overlooked quite a bit, despite being one Nikon's sharpest telephoto zooms (DXO Mark ratings place it in the top 5). I think maybe the new 70-200mm FL might be sharper, but the f4 version isn't far behind.

Also I know Lenscoats are spendy, but the one for the 70-200mm f4 fits very well and gives it a bit more protection for the plastic outer shell.

Last edited:
Real Name
Tim Grist
I think you've made an excellent choice. I had the 2.8 VR II version but sold it as I didn't use it as much as I would have liked, mostly due to its weight and size. I wish I'd gone for the f/4.0 version.

I love my 70-200/4.
The BIG thing for me is that it is HALF the weight of the f/2.8 lens.
That means my arm is not SORE after shooting for 5-6 hours. Old man does not have the endurance of you youngsters.

As Jonathan said, it is sharp. This was the lens that made me realize that my DX D7200 was not at a disadvantage to a FX camera. It just needed better glass than the kit 18-140.

I love my 70-200/4.
The BIG thing for me is that it is HALF the weight of the f/2.8 lens.
That means my arm is not SORE after shooting for 5-6 hours. Old man does not have the endurance of you youngsters.

As Jonathan said, it is sharp. This was the lens that made me realize that my DX D7200 was not at a disadvantage to a FX camera. It just needed better glass than the kit 18-140.
You and me , both!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom