My new to me D800 just arrived

So my D800 just arrived from MPB and it is just as described in like new condition, unfortunately I discovered that what I have (based on Serial number info from here: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/camera.html) is a grey market camera. I contacted MPB about it and they of course apologized and said that while they do try to not purchase grey market items, it is rather difficult to keep up with the differences between all the products they carry. He then assured me of their six month warranty if anything happens to it. They also reminded me of their 7 day return/exchange policy should I choose to go that route, but they don't have any other units listed in as nice of a condition as this one (looks like it just came out of the box and was reported as having only 3105 shutter actuations on it). Some very brief research found a few forum reports and articles about Nikon actually performing service work on some Grey Market units here in the US as of late. If that's true I'd like to hang on to this particular camera. My hope is that it is issue free like my previous Nikon camera's have been and I never have to send it in for repairs.

I'm curious as to hear how some of you would handle this situation. In the meantime I'm going to shoot the heck out of this thing for the next 7 days and see what's what.

Independent Nikon service centers would work on gray market items, but Nikon shut them all down about a year ago, or at least stopped supplying them with parts, AFAIK. A quick check shows Authorized Photo Service is seemingly still in business, but that may end when their parts inventory is depleted.

It could be that Nikon has changed their gray market policy but I would want to know for sure. Half of my Nikon bodies (2 of 4) have been in for service and the other two need to go. Calibrations drift over time and things stop functioning for no particular reason. One of my bodies won't shoot at the rated 8 fps which is usually no big deal, but I want it fixed.

I contacted APS directly and the person I spoke with confirmed that Nikon did stop selling parts to all Authorized Service Centers in April of 2020. He said that Nikon did give them advance notice so they stocked up as much as they could. I'm not looking to do any real "Pro" work with this as it's much more of a hobby for me than anything so at this point in time I'm leaning towards keeping this one and should the need for repairs arise I'll cross that bridge when it comes. The good news is that normal service such as AF alignment, Check/Clean/Lubricate, or any other type service not requiring parts should be a non issue.

MPB has another D800 listed in "Excellent" condition with a US market serial number with only 5xxx shutter count. However closer inspection of their pictures reveals a good bit of finish wear on the bottom of the camera body, the rubber contact cover is missing and just overall looks quite a bit more used than the one I received.

I took this photo just a few minutes ago with the D800 and my Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 VR at 85mm, ISO 100, 1/500th, f/5.6

tP-rOWqe0cXIk9a8CcASt07q=w1404-h937-no?authuser=0?.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
David
In your situation I would probably also keep it.

I might ask if they have anything you need they'd be willing to throw in for the trouble. Your other cameras use the same batteries, but they use SD cards, Have any CF cards? They have some used 32 & 64gb CF cards ranging from $15-$30. I mainly just left the CF card in the camera for a backup and only handle the cheaper to replace SD. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom