My new to me light meter...

Real Name
Carl
A Gossen Lunasix 3...got it off da'Bay. Near mint, no goobers or woopses. Instruction manual and the Gossen battery adapter included.;)
The batteries were as dead as last week's fish, but the meter zero function worked exactly. I replaced the recommended 1.35v. batteries with A pair of 1.5v., which is all the local battery mart had. The meter reads just a little high of the red "Batteries O.K."mark , but, it is about 4 stops high when outside in bright daylight, comparing it to my D 7100's meter.
There are some offerings of "proper" 1.35v. batteries for darn near what the meter cost me...less than $20 shipped, and there is this guy offering Repair/calibrate services for ~$36. I have a set of batteries coming that should fit the adapter, which, If I am not mistaken has a little resistance built in, lowering the voltage to nearer what Gossen recommends. Sooo...we shall see! If the WIIDOW factor (What If It Don't Work) Kicks in, no biggie.
I have read web site posts from long ago...2002-2005... about calibrating the meter as a DIY project, and frankly, I don't want to do it! Not much of loss, either way, but I am thinking instead saving my pennies for a good used Sekonic 308 ambient and flash meter might be a better plan, seeing as how I still have dreams of one day becoming a Strobist. What say, Cafe groupies? Any experience with the meter, pro or con? Advice and/or wise counsel? :)

Last edited:
Real Name
Maurie Hill
Got my trusty old Weston Master II collecting dust in the cupboard. Haven’t used it since the introduction of the (drum roll please) Photomic Head!

Real Name
Carl
I sold my Sekonic incident meter years ago, and haven't had another until the purchase I mentioned. I tried some 625 1.5 v. series batteries, that fit he battery compartment, but it read above the battery check area. I bought a package of 1/2 in brass washers, and added that to the stack, seeing if the additional resistance would help, and it was going in the right direction, but still read high. I then got a set of Duracell LR 44 batteries, which fit the adapter that came with the meter. I think it is the original Gossen adapter, or a close copy, and it looks like there may be a bit of resistance built in, to reduce the battery's 1.5V. to within shouting distance of 1.35 v. that the meter was designed for. Success! :D The voltage reads in the center of the battery check area, and the meter agrees to less than 1/3 stop with my camera meter.:)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom