My new toy (CP7900)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe_Lorenzini, Jun 8, 2005.

1. I take the D2X everywhere but unfortnately there are some places where I'm not as welcome with it as I'd like to be and then there's some places I'd like to take it but dare not for fear of destruction or loss. And believe it or not, there's some things it can't do.

Underwater is one of those places (without another 5k to drop on a housing).

So I got a Nikon Coolpix 7900. Here it is posing with the D2H/D2X BATTERY!
    [​IMG]

What's cool about the 7900 is that I can take it anywhere, it's got scene modes so I don't have to worry about fussing with settings (sometimes a P&S is a nice thing to have) and it has this little accessory that allows me to go places I've never taken a camera before:
    [​IMG]

It lets me take pictures like this:
    [​IMG]

One more thing is that it allows me to take movies. I'm not a video guy but I sure like the option being there and have found that I use it in conjunction with the pictures I take.

Anyone else have a little brother/sister to their DSLR?

_/oe

2. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Awsome pic!

I have several pocket digicams, my most recent: The Sony DSC-T7. My daughter has the coolpix 3200, but she doen't use it anymore (her sister broke it and she replaced it with a Canon SD20. She shoots with a T1 now).

Here's some of my older ones:
    digicams.

3. Joe,

I've been using a Canon S400 Digital Elph as the little (adopted) brother for the past few years. It's a great little camera capable of producing some spectacular images and capturing some great moments. With all due respect to my D2H, ounce for ounce, I'd have to say the little guy is the champ.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glenn

4. Hey Gho,

That's a great picture of those cameras. What did you shoot that on that give off the reflection like that? Nice cameras by the way...

Glenn, I've always heard good things about the Elph series and now I see why and agree with you, these new versions of P&S really do deliver.

_/oe

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks Glen. The reflections are from a piece of clear acrylic.

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Joe, I think the better ps camera are very underated, especially the crop that is out now. There are many times I cannot take along the big stuff and there are times I simply don't want the weight and the complexities that go along with a dslr.
    Now you've got me interested in the 7900.
    Thanks!
    Jarrell

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I still use my Nikon CP5000 on occasion :>)))

The images posed are really great guys.

Thanks for sharing.

8. Hi Gale,

The one camera I regretted getting rid of was my CP5000. I was so hesitant when it came out because Nikon had killed off the swivel body but after a few weeks of using it I was in heaven. One of the great wide angle P&S's ever.

_/oe

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey guys, Patrick is the one w/the DSLR in our family...I use the CP8800 as my primary camera and I love it. I think sometimes about moving up to a DSLR, but then I'd have the whole lens lust issue to deal w/....we don't need two in the family w/that problem right now! ;-) Seriously though, the CP line really does great!

10. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    I bought my wife a CP5200 last Christmas, but I've taken more shots with it than she has! I like the small size on a quick trip when I want to pack light and it takes decent photos. Can't hold up to the D2H, though, for the bird shots I like to take!