My new (used) 70-300 VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by shadow, Jul 16, 2007.

1. I bought this from Woody (Czechman) on the for sale forum, and had a chance to use it this weekend.

(All handheld)

I really like this lens. It has very good reach (for what I do) and the VR is a nice feature for the focal length. Yes most of these were shot well above 1/300 of a second but it still comes in handy when you aren't the most steady. I'll get good use of this lens.

THanks for looking.
  2. danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    I agree -- this lens stays on my D80 80% of the time due to the reach and my type of shooting
    (PP: resized for web, sharpening, color cast fix)
  3. Great Shots!

I am ordering mine soon as I love my 70-200mm VR and the 17-55mm, but both are used for my serious work and are heavy. I think the 70-300mm VR would suit me for my everyday "walk around" lens.

Thanks again for sharing.

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats Neal (nice pics too) ...i've had a few chances to play with my son's ...excellent lens....;-)))
  5. Glad to see you're putting "our" baby to good use. I had a little fun with it but I'm just not a telephoto kind of guy.
  6. It's a great lens Woody. I'll be sure to put it to good use as the days go forward.

Thanks again!

Thanks to all for the comments, too.
  7. Indeed, I found the 70-300VR a great lens...

I just hope my new 80-400VR measures up, but it's got some big shoes to fill..

8. Been thinking about a 70mm-300mm VR lens to add to my collection. Based on these posts, looks like I'm headed to the 'lens store.'
  9. dmoores

Jan 15, 2006
    Great lens!
  10. Well, what a difference a week makes! I was so happy with my 70-300VR that I decided to pick up a Nikon 80-400VR thinking that the extra reach and supposedly superior IQ at 300mm would be just the ticket for wildlife shots. Well, here it is one week later and I just got back from returning the 80-400VR to the store. After some initial "playing" with the new 80-400 I just wasn't all that impressed with the results, so I did some informal A-B testing today and I was shocked to find out that 70-300VR was edging out the 80-400 in overlapping ranges. Maybe the 70-300's VRII is giving it the edge, I don't know, but the 70-300VR is the keeper. Highly recommended!