My new (used) Sigma 500mm f/4.5 HSM arrived!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Guest-002, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    The Sigma 500mm f/4.5 HSM that I purchased from DNAsiRNA arrived at work and I could hardly wait for the workday to end so that I could play with it. We live on a lake, so the first thing after I set it up was to take it out on the deck, but there was no activity to be seen. So, I went to the front yard to take pictures of the sparrows that always congregate there.

original.

No sooner had I started shooting that Katey came out of the house and called me over. As I started to walk toward her she said "No, no, bring the camera". I knew then that she had spotted a target of opportunity. Sure enough, there was this cormorant hanging on the neighbor's dock.

Took lots of pictures though, unfortunately, he (she?) was in the shade.

View attachment 104519

View attachment 104520

And then, after a while, he left.
    View attachment 104521

I can tell this is going to be a fun summer exploring this lens.

The one thing I'll have to address is that it does not focus using the AF ON button. I think I've read that Sigma has a fix for that and I'll have to send it in as some point, but it won't be for a bit yet.

These pictures were shot using a Sidekick. I also just received a used Wimberley II head that I tried afterwards, and I couldn't really notice an improvement. I'll post separately on that in the Tripod forum.

All pics have EXIF info.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007
  2. Hi Radu, congrats on an excellent lens!
    A quick tip on posting images on the cafe, try to keep them down to the suggested width. Otherwise, the site will compress them and you will get a lot of jaggies that detract from the images.

3. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    Radu, My sigma 70-200 2.8 DG didnt work with the AF-ON on my D200 when i ferst got it. I sent and email to sigma and they said to ship it to them so they could have a look and most likely install the new firmware.

I then installed the latest firmware in my D200 and low and behold the AF-ON button now works. what version of firmware is in your D200? the current version is 2.0 i beleive

4. Looks good! Good luck with your new/used toy!

Anthony

5. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    I was still running the original 1.00/1.01 firmware. Per your suggestion, I updated to 2.0 and AF-ON now works.

Thank You!

6. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    Don't you just love simple fixes like that.
    Looks like a great lens, congrats.

7. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Radu.. congrats on the lens - seems like you will have a great time with it. Those are some real nice shots!

If anyone gets any leads on another one - please remember Pesto126. :)

8. Radu, congratulations, looks sharp even wide open!

9. Sigma 500mm

Just like to add I have had my Sigma 500mm for about a year and love using it with my Wimberly Sidekick/Gitzo Tripod and my D2Xs. Tried a couple teleconverters including the Kenko which allows AF, but find it searches too much and reduces light thru the lens.

I stick too just using the lens and capturing marine bird life RAW and cropping as necessary. I think this lens stands out for it's great optics, light weight and economics. I also have the Nikon 300 VR which allows me to handhold more so than the Sigma 500. Basically all shots with the Sigma on a tripod.
    Would love to try the Sigma 3-800mm.

FYI, I tried the 300VR with a 1.7 Teleconverter, works similar to the Sigma but with VR----in practice finding more use with just the Sigma.

Would post some pics but unsure how to do that as I don't use any website as my stuff is on my computers

Sigma makes great lenses for sure, enjoy yours.

10. Congratulations, Radu. It's a very nice lens and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I use it a lot with the Jobu Light Weight which acts similar to the Sidekick and there is no problem.

11. Great lens, I was quite happy with mine. You can modify the Nikon TC-14E to work with this lens, it works very well. Here is the Link to Nikon TC Mod page.

You should be very happy with this lens, I sure was.