My newest work

Discussion in 'People' started by nburwell, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hope this is the right place to post it, if not, moderators, you're free to move it.

I took this picture of my CK cologne bottle. I was looking for something new to photograph, and this came to mind. Please let me know what you all think.

[​IMG]

2. Nick there's an interesting thread over at dpr in the lighting forum about this very thing. They cover some interesting tricks like using carnuba wax on labels and spraying the bottles with a mix of 1/2 water and 1/2 karo syrup. They also talked about long silver-foil reflectors to get full length highlights on the side of the bottle, which it looks like you got pretty well.

I've wanted to do this type of shot but wonder if the bottle should be full. Of course yours looks ok like this. You might want to try a smidgen less light from the left and see what it looks like. Makes for a cool avatar, though!

Glad to see you jumping right in.... :)

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. I agree with Paul - rotate the image some to get it straight up and down!

5. Thanks Kevin, Paul and Justin for your comments.

Paul, I'm going to read up on the links you provided me, and try this again. Hopefully coming out with better results this time.

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    It won't be straight with rotation...bottle is sitting at an angle...I believe intentionally?

C

7. A couple of pieces of advice I could give are:
    1) the cap and the neck of the bottle have lost some detail. This is usually caused by using too small of a light source, but can be picked up with a reflector card.
    2) If this is a product shot for a company they would probably want cleaner highlights, a little straighter and sharper.
    3) The etched "Calvin Klein" on the front bottom of the glass MUST be visable and sharp.
    4) as other people have mentioned the bottle needs to be straighter.
    5)Some people have mentioned about the bottle looking wet, but for colognes and perfumes this is almost never done. But if you need to make water droplets stick you can wipe the bottle down with Vaseline, put alot on and wipe off all visable traces. Then spray with water. The drops tend to stick in place.
    6) Also the reflected highlight on the table looks a little better if it's out of focus. This can be done post processing or easier is to use a frosted reflective base, like brushed steel or frosted glass

If it's your first attempt at glass, it's a good start. Glass is one of the hardest things to photograph, you're dealing with transmitted and reflective light. Keep trying. The best way to work is in stages. First get your light from behind exposures down, to light up the inside of the glass and the liquid. Usually a direct light or a silver card behind liquids works great. Next tackle the details on the front. Labels, markings, and shape of the glass. Finally add in the creative highlights. You can easily do all this by only exposing each light source, so when you review you only see the light you're working on. Then bring it all together and balance them out.

Hope that helps, keep it up.

David