My next camera, stabilization and speed prime considerations

Last wildlife photo I’ll take with the D3400 likely, from the day before yesterday. I’m excited to see what the Z7’s stabilization can offer as I’m always shooting off hand, at long distances and usually out of breath / shaky. Then I crop a lot as critters like these don’t let me terribly close most of the time.

So far playing with the Z7 in the house here, it’s really intuitive and the focus is really good. I’m really liking the electronic viewfinder. When weather is less in climate I’m looking forward to doing some comparison shots with the same lenses.
357EBCC8-287D-4BFD-91B1-ABC232D75B15.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy
Look forward to doing these shots but with the Z7 and seeing the difference, hoping the stabilization is evident for the sweeping off hand shots.
Last wildlife photo I’ll take with the D3400 likely, from the day before yesterday. I’m excited to see what the Z7’s stabilization can offer as I’m always shooting off hand, at long distances and usually out of breath / shaky. Then I crop a lot as critters like these don’t let me terribly close most of the time.
That is a pair of wonderful images. I'm looking forward to see what you do with the Z.

So far playing with the Z7 in the house here, it’s really intuitive and the focus is really good. I’m really liking the electronic viewfinder. When weather is less in climate I’m looking forward to doing some comparison shots with the same lenses.
Very nice shots. Keep posting as it is nice to see good work.

Thank you for the kind words, I recognize my limitations and they’re in the photography side. What I can do presently is get to and find the animals, will try to bring the camera and image work up in standard as I go.

I’ll be sure to report back, plan to bring both cameras north next time for the flying stint. Will do some comparisons on some of the less timid creatures, but that’s a few weeks out.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

So far playing with the Z7 in the house here, it’s really intuitive and the focus is really good. I’m really liking the electronic viewfinder. When weather is less in climate I’m looking forward to doing some comparison shots with the same lenses. View attachment 1676916
Great photo but I can't understand how the wolf third from the right can have a tail coming out of his front?

The third wolf from right is actually the second wolf from right, featuring a cameo from the third wolf from right’s southern axis. o_O

Real Name
Dan
I don't typically reply to these posts asking for gear advice. But I read the first post and decided to do so because we have a couple things in common. 1) I switched from hunting to photography 2) I live and shoot in Alaska so am familiar with bush travel, typical lighting conditions, etc.

That being said I'm late to the party. Haven't read the whole thread. Looks like you already made your choice with a Z7. It's serve you well unless/until you get into shooting birds in flight(BIF). Coming from a hunting background be prepared that if you ever get started shooting BIF it is highly addictive. Just saying...

As far as lens it sounds like you're shooting the 200-500 at the long end all the time. That being the case I'd recommend replacing it with a 500mm PF. It's smaller, sharper, focuses lightning fast, and saves you something like 800 grams in weight. It is also truly professional quality so will be more durable.

The only other thing I might recommend that can make a huge difference with speed getting on target and stability is to mount the whole rig on a rifle stock. If you're handy you can make one yourself and use a remote shutter release as a trigger. Otherwise there are a couple of options on the market. I use a Bushhawk but they went out of business. Here's a link to one that looks promising https://sharpshooterindustries.com/index.php

Hope you are successful getting your business going with photo tours. It's really just non-lethal hunting so you're 90 percent there.

That is one heck of a helpful post neighbour, I’d never seen or considered mounting the camera to a stock with a remote shutter trigger. Oddly enough I make custom stocks and do bespoke custom rifles in the winter slow months up north. This would be a piece of cake, that had never crossed my mind, and really help with photo opportunities like the wolves there.

Appreciate the lens advice, I’ve been hunting for the next long lense and a fixed 500mm would suit what I’m doing very well. Just started with the Z7 this week but needless to say it’s a big improvement over the D3400 from the comparison shots I’ve played with at the beach and around the yard.

ADE3A502-AE8B-4123-87FA-B107DA463760.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom