1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My next hat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cajun angel, Aug 6, 2009.

1. I've loved my little "Walmart special" for several years and now, it's finally getting worn, dirty, and can't be washed. I found both these hats locally and hope I may get one for my b-day. Both hats are washable and I really like the idea of the little "French Legion" look of them. So, if ya'll wear a hat when shooting pics, how about a pic of you wearing it?

$38 at REI
    3795535001_f522b03e0d_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#35 at REI (has a ponytail hole)
    View attachment 390642

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I want one in camo green!!

Oh wait, I do! Thanks US Army

3. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Depends on how often you'll be wearing the tail vs in deep, hot sun. Whichever you foresee doing more, there you go. You'll find the flap in your face as much as anywhere if its windy, though.

4. LOL, I thought about nabbing the hubby's army cap, but like the brim of one of these much better. Thanks for serving our country, BTW!

That flap isn't long enough to get into the face. The way the hat is designed, it will shield the neck from the sun. I"m hoping the tail will be helpful in keeping the sun at bay when I'm chimping or checking settings in the monitor.

5. I posted this in another thread, but my Tilley has finally arrived:

-7695.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    That's cool. I'll try Google, but do you have more info?

7. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Never mind, found their site.

8. WOW, Mark nice hat! Does your tilly have those hidden pockets in it? I tried one on at REI, but for some strange reason, I like the one I posted almost better. The wide brim is important to me - have too many eye problems.

9. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I bought one of those $38 REI hats at a art fair when they first hit the market years ago. It's very comfortable and has held up well to numerous washings. I also have a couple of Dorfman Pacific hats similar to Mark's. Having close cropped hair, the mesh provides virtually zero protection from the sun. A good SPF50 sunscreen applied to my head does the job.

On a recent trip to Portland I picked up a Pendelton felt hat. No need to worry about sunscreen when wearing this hat and it has a very flexible brim that moves out of the way easily when using the D700's built-in flash. Funny that even with the mesh the Dorfman Pacific hats are no cooler for me to wear out in the sun.

10. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Mark, which model do you have? Is it the TM10?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.